arnholdsan

ANSWERED [Solved] Export an Evernote note as a PDF file

I have a problem: I want to prepare my lessons in Evernote and I have to submit a copy of each lesson plan via Email in a PDF-format, so that my colleague can save the file to her computer. Is this possible in Evernote - I've just started using it on my Surface Pro 4 (I switched from OneNote to Evernote, because I like the options for structuring your notebooks better).

Summarized:

1) Is there any possibility I can export Evernote notes as PDF files on my Surface Pro 4 and then send them via e-mail?

2) Do you know if this would also work on my Android phone?

3 hours ago, arnholdsan said:

export Evernote notes as PDF files

Evernote doesn't have an export-as-pdf option, but the standard process is to print-to-pdf.
This is built into the Mac OS; in Windows you may need to install a pdf print driver.

If you use File / Print Preview..., that should bring up your note as a PDF file, which you can save and then email. You can also do a File / Print to PDF... option to do much the same thing. (Evernote should probably add PDF as an  export format option; seems like all of the pieces are there). I don't think that you can a PDF via email direct from Evernote, though. With respect to sharing with your colleague, maybe DropBox or some similar cloud-based storage might be useful.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

This is built into the Mac OS; in Windows you need to install a pdf print driver.

I think it's built into Windows now -- there's a "Microsoft Print to PDF" printer in my printers list now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jefito said:

If you use File / Print Preview..., that should bring up your note as a PDF file, which you can save and then email.

This is a brilliant tip, Jeff. I rarely print from Evernote, so I wasn't aware of it. But how do you save the print preview PDF file? I don't see that option. Of course, I'm still holding on to v. 6.5.4. Is saving a recent addition?

3 hours ago, jefito said:

If you use File / Print Preview..., that should bring up your note as a PDF file

I can't speak for Android, but the print preview trick also works in IOS. 

25 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

This is a brilliant tip, Jeff. I rarely print from Evernote, so I wasn't aware of it. But how do you save the print preview PDF file? I don't see that option. Of course, I'm still holding on to v. 6.5.4. Is saving a recent addition?

In my case, the print preview PDF file comes up in Chrome (probably the way I have PDF file handling configured), and I can right-click on it and do a Save As from there. I'm on the latest 6.11.2 public release currently, just fyi.

OK, in my outdated-but-well-functioning version of the Windows program, Print preview does pop up what looks like a PDF view in a new window, which appears to be just an Evernote child window, and has no save option. I don't use Chrome (Google knows too much about me already), and I just have Adobe Acrobat Reader set up to handle PDFs; but this window is definitely not Acrobat

And another question has just popped up: 

Is there a way to view the full PDF (similar to a picture) in Evernote? As for now, I can only see the file in a note. (in Windows and on my Android phone)

2 hours ago, arnholdsan said:

And another question has just popped up: 

Is there a way to view the full PDF (similar to a picture) in Evernote? As for now, I can only see the file in a note. (in Windows and on my Android phone)

For Windows, try Tools / Options / Note tab / Note View Options section : uncheck "Always show PDF documents as attachments"

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Do you not have the Print to PDF option in the File menu?

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Do you not have the Print to PDF option in the File menu?

Nope. Not in 6.5.4 (AKA "the one that still works"). It's not an issue for me, since I have a PDF printer that I installed anyway; just curious about how Jeff was saving a PDF from the Print Preview.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all your help! I think all my questions have been answered and this thread can be closed now! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arnholdsan said:

Thank you for all your help! I think all my questions have been answered and this thread can be closed now! 

Glad you got this sorted.  As the original poster you should be able to alter the title of this thread to add [Solved] at the start if you wish - otherwise the thread will stay active (hopefully) to help others.  :)

Hi.

I had the same question, but I did find the solution. I will share it here in case you or any other has the same question. In Evernote Windows you must:

1. Select the note you want to export as PDF.
  2. Go to File > Save as PDF (under Print)

Done.

Another alternative is export as various formats such as HTML, to do this:

1. Select the note you want to export
  2. Go to File > Export
  3. Select the format you need, click export

Done. Hope this is helpful.

20 hours ago, Apolino said:

In Evernote Windows you must:

1. Select the note you want to export as PDF.
  2. Go to File > Save as PDF (under Print)

What version of the Evernote program, and what version of Windows, are you using? I've got an older EN program in Win7, and I don't see this.

Hmmn.  Same here (latest public version) - File > Print gives me these options,  but whether that's through Evernote,  or because I have Adobe installed seperately I don't know.  If I choose the Adobe or Foxit options I'll be asked for a file name later...

1399787115_Clipboard1.png.33303edb2a7aa35456e25ae5ee324af9.png

The File menu does have a "Print to PDF" option which works as advertised...

45 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

What version of the Evernote program, and what version of Windows, are you using? I've got an older EN program in Win7, and I don't see this.

I am using Windows 10 and Evernote version 6.11.2 Public. Here, this is what I get in my File tab. You can see the option Print to PDF right below Print.

ScreenClip.png

Cool, thanks. I haven't updated in a long time, not wanting to deal with all the recent bugs. But more and more it seems that 6.13, recently released, may be the one.

The best way would be to go to google docs, copy the whole content to it, adjust the content according to you and export it as pdf

4 hours ago, Hemant_Bhambhu said:

The best way would be to go to google docs, copy the whole content to it, adjust the content according to you and export it as pdf

Hi.  That's a viable option if you;re on a mobile device,  but on Windows it's a lot easier just to print directly to a PDF file.

The workflow for iOS to create a pdf-file from a non-pdf-note directly in EVERNOTE is shown in my screenshots - sorry folks, all in German. But I think it is easy to follow.

The workflow to create a PDF-file through the Print-dialogue works with many iOS-apps, not only with EVERNOTE. The resulting pdf-file can be saved (Files-app or any cloud service), moved to apps like pdf-Expert for further processing etc. It is an autonomous pdf file by all means.

I like this shortcut as well to copy websites in a clean format from Safari to Evernote. The webclipper under iOS is not very good on this, so in Safari I go to the reader view (if available), choose „share“, pick „print“, create the pdf by pinching outwards and send it via „share“ to EVERNOTE. Quick and (c)lean.

Happy Evernoting !

967AB43B-C670-47B8-B069-EC71EF4366EE.jpeg

54569713-A1D0-4D16-B615-BBC3FD9F5856.jpeg

8057ED76-95FE-41B1-979C-97A78F202EE7.jpeg

F5C655B4-4384-45DC-9EA8-6C01E1FCDB36.jpeg

6D4ECD11-C4E7-4E58-B02F-FAAC5F810B1E.jpeg

58CD446A-E904-4127-95AE-94B15B961A84.jpeg

19 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The workflow for iOS to create a pdf-file from a non-pdf-note directly in EVERNOTE is shown in my screenshots

In case this wasn't clear  Evernote/IOS > Share > Create PDF

6BA02A85-D5C6-49F2-A584-82AC7DBD8992.thumb.jpeg.cb170624f6e632c8cef74d270d7c0703.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Yes, this works as well - but sometimes the „create pdf“ option is not listed or hidden, Steve only may know why. 

The „print“ option is always there. Furthermore it allows to select the range of pages to be printed to the pdf-file. So you can pick just one, or a range.

What I like on the „create pdf“ is the possibility to directly annotate the pdf by iOS-means. One must just save the resulting file away to keep the additions.

So each method has its pros and cons ...

The issue did not leave my mind - thanks to DTLow, because we all should learn something new every day.

Today I have exported an article from Safari by both means. I did not dive this deep before, but the results speak for the „print“ option more than for the „create pdf“-option. This is why:

• Using the „print“ to create a file, and then export it to EN via „share“ leads to a file that has pages, and it picks the title of the article clipped and inserts it automatically as header to the new note.
  • Using the „create pdf“, and send the resulting pdf via „share“ to EN creates an „infinite“ pdf without page breaks. And the title is set to „Safari + Date + Time“, which I personally do not like. Yes, it is possible to annotate directly when the pdf was created, but these annotations will not be passed on to EN ! They must be saved to the pdf file somewhere (on the device, or cloud), „saving“ to EN is not an option. So better to get the note into Evernote, and then annotate it there.

For my workflow, I will stick to the „print to pdf“-option.

11C641FC-D715-4175-9EC6-A2DFEFDB1D8A.jpeg

B737B3C2-C879-4C00-8C28-9CFD653B032E.jpeg

3D93EE66-E343-4B9A-A421-B40E7EACD9D4.jpeg

32B34230-4DF3-4AB5-B8C3-49BB51514686.jpeg