Jump to content
falcon31

Typing doesn't input where cursor is on screen

Recommended Posts

Good day - I've had a problem in Evernote Windows application that I believe began 2 updates ago.  (Currently on Windows 10 using 6.11.2.7027 (307027)  Public (CE Build ce-43.0.4829)

Since the upgrade, in the Evernote is slow to open notes (maybe 5 -10 seconds before they are really ready to type in).  More importantly, the note puts the cursor visually on the screen where I click in the note almost immediately (good), but then is not ready to accept input from the keyboard for 5 + seconds.  Because I see the cursor, I start typing, but the characters don't get accepted as input, and the note jumps to some other part of the note (bad).

This problem presents itself identically on several different Window 10 computers -- all of them I've tried.

Is this a known problem?   Timeline for fix?  Very agitating, and slows productivity.

Thanks,

David

Share this post


Link to post

I had the exact same problem with the last couple updates. I submitted 3 support requests. The first reply was the standard boilerplate to reboot, uninstall, reinstall, reboot, etc. That helped reduce the 7+ second delays to 1 or 2 seconds. The last reply had a bit more personalization and candor. Scroll down to my last post.

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, falcon31 said:

Good day - I've had a problem in Evernote Windows application that I believe began 2 updates ago.  (Currently on Windows 10 using 6.11.2.7027 (307027)  Public (CE Build ce-43.0.4829)

Since the upgrade, in the Evernote is slow to open notes (maybe 5 -10 seconds before they are really ready to type in).  More importantly, the note puts the cursor visually on the screen where I click in the note almost immediately (good), but then is not ready to accept input from the keyboard for 5 + seconds.  Because I see the cursor, I start typing, but the characters don't get accepted as input, and the note jumps to some other part of the note (bad).

This problem presents itself identically on several different Window 10 computers -- all of them I've tried.

Is this a known problem?   Timeline for fix?  Very agitating, and slows productivity.

Thanks,

David

6.11.2 fixed the issue for me, but not all from what I see on the forums.  You could retro back to 6.7.5 which seems to be the most recent version with the fewest issues and the better PDF viewer..

Share this post


Link to post

I just went back to Windows 6.5.4.4720 (304720) Public 

It is soooo, sooo very nice to have a program that works correctly.

No lags and the PDF's work the way they used to.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Just updated to latest, 6.11.2.7027. I cannot enter anything! Clicking does not place the cursor anywhere. This is really bad. I hate going to past released. You  never know what the current format of documents will lose when used with an older version. This is upsetting.

Share this post


Link to post

For a long time, I felt rolling back is almost like admitting failure. 

But after weeks of problems and multiple support requests, I finally bit the bullet and dropped back to Windows 6.5.4.4720 (304720) Public. I can now shout from the rooftops... it is pure bliss! Everything works the way it is supposed to.  * PDF's work. * The lag is gone. * Search does not truncate and create fake notes.

Evernote is going to have to offer some incredibly fantastic improvements to entice me to upgrade to current releases.  And even if they do, I will wait for a month, watching the user comments, before accepting it.  Yes, it sucks to pay $70 annually for last year's "Premium" version, but at least it works.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Welcome into the light, brother! I know it seems like downgrading, but when the upgrades are bug-grades, rolling back is more like ... let's call it "rightgrading." :)

@RememberingAndThinking, I don't think there has been any change to the underlying data format in the more recent releases. The exception, however, would be tables. At some point there was a major upgrade to them, and I believe they began to incorporate attributes that would not be supported in 6.5.4. That's my understanding, anyway. If you're not a big table-user, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Someone fill me in if I'm off base!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Welcome into the light, brother! I know it seems like downgrading, but when the upgrades are bug-grades, rolling back is more like ... let's call it "rightgrading." :)

@RememberingAndThinking, I don't think there has been any change to the underlying data format in the more recent releases. The exception, however, would be tables. At some point there was a major upgrade to them, and I believe they began to incorporate attributes that would not be supported in 6.5.4. That's my understanding, anyway. If you're not a big table-user, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Someone fill me in if I'm off base!

I think 6.7.5 is the last release before the PDF change and some of the other stuff.  I still run that on my older backup laptop. 

Again, I am waiting for the 7.0 beta announcement to see if it is worth staying current.  Not much of value for me in 6.8 through 6.11 at this point unfortunately.  Still works well for my use case, but the newly introduced bugs, the PDF hit to productivity, and sometimes having to click twice to be sure I am in the note are pushing me towards rightgrading.

Added rightgrading to my dictionary.  ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've also gotten frustrated with all the stupid cursor bugs described here and reverted back a couple of versions where they aren't as show-stopping. It seems that not upgrading might be the best way to keep Evernote functioning and usable.

Let's not hold our breaths for Evernote to fix these cursor bugs. Everyone from the Evernote CEO to bloggers to famous tech reviewers have known about these kinds of bugs for many years, they've frequently promised to fix these bugs, yet nearly all of them are still alive and well. It's 2018 and cursors are failing badly. Sad!

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

I've also gotten frustrated with all the stupid cursor bugs described here and reverted back a couple of versions where they aren't as show-stopping. It seems that not upgrading might be the best way to keep Evernote functioning and usable.

Let's not hold our breaths for Evernote to fix these cursor bugs. Everyone from the Evernote CEO to bloggers to famous tech reviewers have known about these kinds of bugs for many years, they've frequently promised to fix these bugs, yet nearly all of them are still alive and well. It's 2018 and cursors are failing badly. Sad!

Begging your pardon, but the cursor issues under discussion here have only appeared during some recent updates. That's why people are reverting to 6.5.4 or so in order to get rid of them. They may have a completely different genesis from problems that existed years back.

Share this post


Link to post

I've just run into the cursor issue.  No cursor appears at all.  I can't type a new note, or edit an existing one.  I'm a Premium who uses Evernote daily, so I'm trying to figure out how to roll back to an older version.  

This problem appeared on 2 Windows 10 PCs immediately after installing the 6.11.7027 update. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Begging your pardon, but the cursor issues under discussion here have only appeared during some recent updates. That's why people are reverting to 6.5.4 or so in order to get rid of them. They may have a completely different genesis from problems that existed years back.

Well, I agree that that there are multiple sources of cursor bugs and that these cursor bugs go back many years.

This thread is discussing the cursor bugs caused by one of those sources.

My point, though, still stands: One should not expect Evernote's cursors to work properly any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks all for the very helpful responses. 

Bottom Line: Now seems to be working correctly on most recent version.

Additional Info: I was going down the path to find and install 6.5.4 when I chatted with Customer Support about how to get a verifiably authentic previous version.  Before we got that far, the tech suggested I uninstall / reinstall.  That  seems to have worked.  I have different default fonts now, and maybe a few other minor appearance changes, but the functionality (in initial few uses) is back to what I expect.

Thanks again to all.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, falcon31 said:

Thanks all for the very helpful responses. 

Bottom Line: Now seems to be working correctly on most recent version.

Additional Info: I was going down the path to find and install 6.5.4 when I chatted with Customer Support about how to get a verifiably authentic previous version.  Before we got that far, the tech suggested I uninstall / reinstall.  That  seems to have worked.  I have different default fonts now, and maybe a few other minor appearance changes, but the functionality (in initial few uses) is back to what I expect.

Thanks again to all.

Yes, this worked for me also. Uninstall and reinstall.  Thank you falcon31!

Share this post


Link to post

Unfortunately ... I spoke too soon.  Problem persists despite uninstall / reinstall.  For now, I'm working around by double-clicking and learning to accommodate the Evernote bugs.   When I get a chance, I'll re-engage with Evernote support.

Very frustrating ...

Share this post


Link to post

I agree. It "seems" better, but I don't know what exactly the difference is.  But still happening in some way. If we had an option "Automatically title the note based on first line", that would be great - we would all uncheck it, and that code wouldn't jitter the cursor around trying to help us. And this happens at the time when seconds count... a con-call just starts up, and I want to create a note and start typing into it immediately, as people are talking (e.g. who's attending). Meanwhile, EN is trying to save me time (haha) by auto-titling the note.

Share this post


Link to post

I stopped using the desktop application because the web version is so much easier. The desktop version has always been hookie. 

Share this post


Link to post

I will add a voice to this... While I have not tracked exactly how long ago, for a while now, there is a disconnect with where the text carrot is placed, and where type is placed. It appears to happen when focus is switched from Evernote to another Windows app, then back to Evernote. No matter where the mouse is clicked and the text carrot placed (blinking, waiting for input), when typing begins, the carrot disappears and no text is typed (anywhere). This is so very frustrating, I have started to make notes in Notepad and copy them in to Evernote, just to allow for the greater ease and flow of switching, typing, copying and pasting. Oh, since I mentioned copying and pasting... The same thing holds true- Select some text to copy- Use Keyboard commands to copy or paste, nothing happens. Right clicking seems to work, but, life is too short for that...

Even switching away from this form and typing in Evernote results in the same problem, but switching back to this WYSIWYG editor in the browser is 100% normal for type, copy and paste.

What is the best method of adding my voice to the chorus that is frustrated with this bug?

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post

Adding my voice to the chorus.

This problem makes using Evernote while multi-tasking in common scenarios - say during a remote web meeting - extremely painful and not terribly useful for my daily work.

4 months later and no updates from product is dissapointing.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...