Make it possible to edit office documents attached in Evernote

ralmqvist

Idea

I find it very frustrating that I cant edit my attached office files, e.g. Excel-files, without having to make a copy and add it in the note. It would be so nice to be able to the open the attached file in Excel, make the changes and then the attached file is updated in Evernote. This works in OneNote that I use at work and I find this very useful. 

I know Evernote isnt a file manager but I do belive it makes sense to keep some files there and it also makes sense to be able to edit them in an efficient way. 

• Like 1

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, ralmqvist said:

I find it very frustrating that I cant edit my attached office files, e.g. Excel-files, without having to make a copy

I agree, but I think this is an IOS limitation.

Windows/Mac handle this so well'; the attachment is exported to the file system, edited, then imported back to the note.
IOS really sucks at this; there is no automatic import back to the note.

On 4/10/2018 at 12:56 PM, DTLow said:

I agree, but I think this is an IOS limitation.

Windows/Mac handle this so well'; the attachment is exported to the file system, edited, then imported back to the note.
IOS really sucks at this; there is no automatic import back to the note.

Hello DTLow,

It is not a iOS limitation, more a Evernote limitation. My iOS devices are running iOS 13.3.1, using OneNote in iOS click the Excel file choose Open In Excel. Excel must be installed on the iOS device. That Excel file can be edited as one would on a computer.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, RicD said:

using OneNote in iOS click the Excel file choose Open In Excel. Excel must be installed on the iOS device. That Excel file can be edited as one would on a computer.

This is the same process in Evernote   
What's missing is the final step; import into Evernote replacing original file

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

This is the same process in Evernote   
What's missing is the final step; import into Evernote replacing original file

Not quite, no open in Excel option in IOS EN.  That I've found.  But I find Excel on IOS a bit problematic, so not that big a deal for me, anyway.

3 hours ago, CalS said:

Not quite, no open in Excel option in IOS EN.  That I've found.  But I find Excel on IOS a bit problematic, so not that big a deal for me, anyway.

Hi CalS,

Yes, I agree with you, the file can be opened, but not editable. It is more a PDF, image, and the like. Clicking on an Excel file I can see at the top the sheets, clicking on them displays the sheets, again not editable. In Evernote opening Apple Numbers the right side displays the individual tabs clicking on them displays the sheet, again not editable.

Thus, I have leave my office type documents on the Cloud, as in Google Drive, iCloud, OneDrive, but not in Evernote. Thank you for your input.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RicD said:

Clicking on an Excel file I can see at the top the sheets, clicking on them displays the sheets, again not editable.

Are you using the internal spreadsheet viewer?    
For editing, the spreadsheet must be exported  and opened by the Excel app via the share boxA2376897-DE3D-4396-AC66-5946A5D4D73F.thumb.jpeg.8f235942d28e0b0497a3e9f44a940377.jpeg

Personally, I'm an Apple Pages/Numbers user

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RicD said:

Hi CalS,

Yes, I agree with you, the file can be opened, but not editable. It is more a PDF, image, and the like. Clicking on an Excel file I can see at the top the sheets, clicking on them displays the sheets, again not editable. In Evernote opening Apple Numbers the right side displays the individual tabs clicking on them displays the sheet, again not editable.

Thus, I have leave my office type documents on the Cloud, as in Google Drive, iCloud, OneDrive, but not in Evernote. Thank you for your input.

Based upon how EN used to NOT deal well with Excel models that contained pivot tables, I moved most of my models to OneDrive.  I added a link in a note for each model.  Click on the link in EN and edit the model, though not often on IOS for me.  You lose EN searching of Office docs but you gain better backups (you get one every time you mod the model).  Trade off was worth it to me.  FWIW. 

15 hours ago, DTLow said:

Are you using the internal spreadsheet viewer?    
For editing, the spreadsheet must be exported  and opened by the Excel app via the share boxA2376897-DE3D-4396-AC66-5946A5D4D73F.thumb.jpeg.8f235942d28e0b0497a3e9f44a940377.jpeg

Personally, I'm an Apple Pages/Numbers user

Good Morning DTLow,

I too am a Apple Pages/Numbers user as well; rarely use Keynote have not had a need. Using the Apple suite I have created a gazillion files in both apps then as needed export them to MS Office files.

Using Evernote iOS, iPad Air2 and iPhone XR, there is not a way for editing Apple Suite files nor MS Office files. Yes, we can export them then work on them. Rather than do that I leave the files in iCloud, or use the On My iPad or On My iPhone feature, then using the appropriate app edit them on the iOS device. Because of the lack of Evernote editing ability for Apple files and MS Office files, for me it is better leaving them on the Cloud not in Evernote. Open Files app, go to the required file work on it. YMMV.

Cordially,

RicD

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, RicD said:

Rather than do that I leave the files in iCloud, or use the On My iPad ...Open Files app, go to the required file work on it. 

As per @CalS, I recommend inserting a file link into a note for easy access    
For IOS, this works best with the iCloud share/collaboration link feature (example https://www.icloud.com/numbers/0SmZ7H0vwwQ2...#Tasks)