Please improve text editor

ConradD

Idea

Hello!

I still miss more ambitious formatting and structuring options to give larger notes a clearer look. The Evernote editor reminds me in HTML-Editors I've used 20 years ago ... Some examples:

• There are no paragraph / style templates ... (And if you choose to implement them, please don't forget to make them addressable by hotkeys as well.)
  • Automatic structuring* works on one level only (simple numbering). If you try structuring with numbering and indentions, you end up in a mess.
  • Manual structuring is a drag! The Evernote editor interprets the manual inputs and converts them into - often incorrect  - automatic numbering. Disabling the automatic numbering deletes the manually set numbers too .... aaaahhhh!!!
  • The tabs for the automatic indentation of numbering are using positions other than indenting with the tab key!?!?

I know that an online editor can't offer such mighty features as e.g. MS-Words - but I've seen much better text-editors on the web so far.

Kind regards
Conrad

*I'm German, I'm not sure if this is the right term. In German it is "Automatische Gliederung". What I mean is automatic formatting, indention and numbering in more then one level, based on the template - something like this:
1. Evernote
Asd asd asd asd asd 
1.1 Good
The good feature are:
1.1.1 Online
bla bla
1.1.2 Offline
this and that
1.2 Bad
Dubidu
1.3 Fair
1.3.1 Search Option

2. Other Editor
2.1  ...

5 replies to this idea

On 4/9/2018 at 8:21 PM, ConradD said:

Hello!

I still miss more ambitious formatting and structuring options to give larger notes a clearer look. The Evernote editor reminds me in HTML-Editors I've used 20 years ago ... Some examples:

• There are no paragraph / style templates ... (And if you choose to implement them, please don't forget to make them addressable by hotkeys as well.)
  • Automatic structuring* works on one level only (simple numbering). If you try structuring with numbering and indentions, you end up in a mess.
  • Manual structuring is a drag! The Evernote editor interprets the manual inputs and converts them into - often incorrect  - automatic numbering. Disabling the automatic numbering deletes the manually set numbers too .... aaaahhhh!!!
  • The tabs for the automatic indentation of numbering are using positions other than indenting with the tab key!?!?

I know that an online editor can't offer such mighty features as e.g. MS-Words - but I've seen much better text-editors on the web so far.

Kind regards
Conrad

*I'm German, I'm not sure if this is the right term. In German it is "Automatische Gliederung". What I mean is automatic formatting, indention and numbering in more then one level, based on the template - something like this:
1. Evernote
Asd asd asd asd asd 
1.1 Good
The good feature are:
1.1.1 Online
bla bla
1.1.2 Offline
this and that
1.2 Bad
Dubidu
1.3 Fair
1.3.1 Search Option

2. Other Editor
2.1  ...

I Will Try to follow this all thank you for share awesome Steps.

That's 5 Years ago ... not very much happened. We have 4 Templates, but you can't edtit them in general (only for each note separately).  The "Automatische Gliederung" (Automatic structuring) still is rather poor. 

Sad!

• Evernote Expert

@ConradD You started this thread five years ago since when the version of Evernote you were using has been discontinued.  The v10 applications have an entirely new editor.  It doesn't include the outlining function you described in 2018 but it is a new editor.  I have 86 templates available to me and I can save my own templates.  However, creating your own templates is feature of a paid subscription.  There is currently a bug which is reported and acknowledged creating your own templates with a workaround in the meantime.

Rather then add to this Archyive thread you may want to create a new thread on the topic relating to the new applications.

Thank you agsteele!

I'm using a paid subscription, but to be honest, I'm thinking of switching to another application. As you pointed out EN created an entirely new editor. I worked in Software-Development myself. If we created something new, we were eager to create something that includes the features already on the market, add something new and/or improve standard features. But that’s been small companies I've been working for ...

It's really frustrating if you see how slowly and ignoring software development is in big companies. EN has some really good features, but other features are rather poor ... Of course, e.g. Microsoft isn't any better, but MS-Notes is for free, as we say in Germany: "Einem geschenkten Gaul schaut man nicht ins Maul" ...

And one last thought. When discussing development and features with others, I often here the argument: "Our program does this and that very much better than competitors - you can't be perfect in everything ..." Of course, there is some truth to that, but what, if we apply that argument to another market. Imagine you buy a car. Imagine it is a luxurious car with a fast engine, leather coated seats and more - but when rain starts to fall you find out, that the windshield-wiper works only on one slow speed, you want to switch on the radio - and find out there is no automatic search ... as you complain to the car salesman he answers: "Our car has so many awesome features, you can't expect it to be perfect in everything ..." Know what I mean?

• Level 5

Sometimes you optimize not by always adding more features - it is often more innovative to reduce features to a point where using them is lean and efficient. Adding more and more you easily end up with O365 style ribbons full of functions, completely bloated and overloaded.

Personally I like the new editor with its reduced set of options, just right for taking notes.