Jump to content
Jimboats

Evernote History Question

Recommended Posts

Hey guys - Just a quick question about the note 'history' on evernote premium.

How far back does my note history go? Could I potentially append a note everyday for several years and have Evernote keep an entire list of every iteration of that note I had ever done?

Thanks for your time!

James

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Jimboats said:

How far back does my note history go? Could I potentially append a note everyday for several years and have Evernote keep an entire list of every iteration of that note I had ever done?

I've not seen any limit on the note history backup.

btw  I don't recommend "appending a note everyday"
My example is a daily journal - I use a separate note for each day.

Share this post


Link to post

I can't say exactly, but I have notes that I've updated over time, and history shows me in one case 16 (back to Nov. 2016) and in another 22 (back to Sep. 2017) prior versions. Some notes have versions back to around the time of their creation in 2013 or 2014; but these have seldom been updated. So I don't know if there's a maximum number of saved versions.

In the note history window, it says, "Several times each day, Evernote makes a copy of any notes in your account that have changed since the last time the system checked." What's relevant here is what it does not say: it doesn't say that every edit is tracked.

I'm with @DTLow: I don't think I'd rely on this to maintain every iteration of a long, indefinitely appended-to note forever. That's not really what it's designed for.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I've not seen any limit on the note history backup.

btw  I don't recommend "appending a note everyday"
My example is a daily journal - I use a separate note for each day.

Hi DTLow - Thanks very much for that mate. Thats helpful. Also, thanks for the tip. I wasn't intending on appending the same note everyday; it was just an example. I want to make sure that any iterations of a note that I rework will not be lost!

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Jimboats said:

I want to make sure that any iterations of a note that I rework will not be lost!

There's a downside to the Note History Backup feature
- When a note is deleted/expunged, the history can no longer be accessed
This is one of the reasons I maintain my personal note history backup.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Jimboats said:

Hey guys - Just a quick question about the note 'history' on evernote premium.

How far back does my note history go? Could I potentially append a note everyday for several years and have Evernote keep an entire list of every iteration of that note I had ever done?

Thanks for your time!

James

I have a note containing a spreadsheet that I update from 1 to 3 times a week.  I have history back to 2/.6/14 and the note was created 2/5/14.  That isn't to say every iteration has a backup per se, but If I only updated the note once on any given day, it would be a safe assumption.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...