would tagging be needed for anything since ever has 'syntactical search'?

evernotehard

• Level 5*

Hi.  Search issues can be very subjective depending on the content being searched and individual circumstances.  I mainly use 'smart' titles including date, document type, source and keywords,  so that I can find things with an intitle:<keyword> search.  In some cases I've added tags to specifically identify a topic - a project forinstance - because I want a quick way to find all the content.  I use saved searches and Shortcuts to speed things along.

I find the search grammar is quite precise,  though it does have some idiotsyncrasies (sic) of which I need to beware.  Its up to the user to decide how tags, titles or notebooks and stacks (and,  coming soon to an Evernote near you - Spaces!) fit into the architecture of his or her data and find a method that's convenient a quick to find things.

How to use Evernote's advanced search syntax

How to create a saved search

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, evernotehard said:

would tagging be needed / helpful / useful for anything since ever has 'syntactical search'?

Some people rely on text search, but I find it too imprecise.

An example is a search for tag:car tag:insurance retrieved my 5 car insurance notes.
A text search for car insurance retrieved 512 documents and missed the automobile insurance note.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, evernotehard said:

would tagging be needed / helpful / useful for anything since ever has 'syntactical search'?

Tagging enables culling and focus of search results.

tagging in-line is needed for tagging to be useful/helpful

* you cant do 'tag within the content of the note yea? 'in-line tagging'

* if you cant this means you have to keep very short notes, so you wont be able to find anything via search or tag

* some things could ‘tag’ the title tho this isnt needed since evernote can search 'within title only'

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, evernotehard said:

* if you cant this means you have to keep very short notes, so you wont be able to find anything via search or tag

I'm comfortable with the tagging system at the note level.

If needed, I could easily insert the text tag:aaaaaaa in my notes and search for that.  I'm investigating how to both make it stand out as a tag, and not be obtrusive.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, evernotehard said:

* some things could ‘tag’ the title tho this isnt needed since evernote can search 'within title only'

You can tag within notes, you have to enter your own tag text (typically preceded by some special character for ease of access) and use Ctrl+F within the note to find the tags.  Not a native capability of EN, per se. 

You will find any notes for a given search whether the notes are short or long.  How easy to locate the text aspect of the search is a function of note length but that is when one uses Ctrl+F if need be.

Do you have a specific request or question?

"enter your own tag text"

how? is there a (good) guide? i dont understand how this works

* tag search via the 'tag button' doesnt seen to work within the content itself

* regular search just does regular text search, also doesnt 'jump'/'go' to the relevant ones

this means notes cant be very long, the solution seems to be to keep very very short notes, but that could already be done in onenote and many other things

* problem is have longform (long) notes on onenote,

* going to keep longform (long) notes in some undecided software?? no idea currently

--

a really really good link to a good taggining system/method is good also (updated within last 6 months)

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, evernotehard said:

"enter your own tag text"

how? is there a guide? i dont understand how this works

Enter _mytag into the note. 

Relative to the rest, might be best to do some testing on your own.  That and search the forums - many posts on tagging methods or not-tagging methods for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from doing a more specific search, tags help me locate stuff that I forgot existed in my Evernote or if I am looking for something that I really don't know what I am looking for.

Let me explain;

For example, I have a "Lesson Learned" tag for projects we build. So if I am faced with a situation 2 years later, and I want to prepare for the risk, I can do a tag:"Lessons learned" search with some additional tags and find notes about the issues we had faced and solved. I may not remember the wording or the content since it was 2 years ago but if at that time I realized that this note is a good Lesson learned example and I tagged it, I know it will come up later.

Similarly, I have a "tickler" tag for stuff I just wanted to be reminded later on random times. So once in a while I do that search and discover things. 

Therefore, it is not just about searching for me, it is also about discovering within my database.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

Therefore, it is not just about searching for me, it is also about discovering within my database.

Serendipity is alive and well and pops up from time to time in my database too...  :)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, TK0047 said:

Similarly, I have a "tickler" tag for stuff I just wanted to be reminded later on random times. So once in a while I do that search and discover things. 

I have !Weekly, !Monthly, and !Quarterly tags with a similar purpose but on a timed basis.  Mostly concepts and practices notes wherein I want to refresh my thinking or awareness.  The “master” note for each has a reminder I reset each time. 

Archived