Disappearing Word Count

Hi!

After the new upgrade, I noticed something is missing in the status bar. The word count.

I tried for a few times then I noticed the pattern. When I just select (click on) a new note, the numbers will "blink" for a moment then return to the blank bar.

An example of the blinking and the normal display (ya it's mostly Chinese stuff)

1.PNG.c34f6d1dbf0e1b71621a71b0a47ebf5a.PNG

2.PNG.3a8b0a51c0fd4b427688b56bda26ed6f.PNG

When I open a note as a new window, the status bar always shows word count tho.

Anyone knows the possible cause of this?

It will be fixed in the next release. (When I checked 6.11.1 earlier, it seems I hit the edge case where it did work) This was a case of an optimization in a seemingly unrelated area causing a regression.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, dconnet said:

This was a case of an optimization in a seemingly unrelated area causing a regression.

Somebody tweaked some code and it broke?

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Somebody tweaked some code and it broke?

Kind of :)

For performance reasons, we create several editors. When switching notes, we just swap in the idle one and destroy the old one. The code updating the status bar was written with the assumption that There Can Only Be One. (insert old joke about the 2 hardest problems in programming being naming, caches, and off-by-1 errors)

• Level 5*

2 hours ago, dconnet said:

(insert old joke about the 2 hardest problems in programming being naming, caches, and off-by-1 errors)

~*~ ...waiting for @CalS to cue up the Monty Python "Spanish Inquisition" clip... ~*~

• Level 5*
Just now, CalS said:

Now what's a boy to do?

Don't let me down, grasshopper... I just teed it up nicely for you; now you need to boot it through the goalposts...

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, jefito said:

Don't let me down, grasshopper... I just teed it up nicely for you; now you need to boot it through the goalposts...

I don't know, no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

• Level 5*
On 4/23/2018 at 5:22 PM, dconnet said:

(insert old joke about the 2 hardest problems in programming being naming, caches, and off-by-1 errors)

So right on cue, XKCD comes up with an off-by-one error reference (it's in the rollover text): Meteorologist

Archived