(Archived) Disappearing content

mwaves

Idea

I had a fairly important note in Evernote.

Today I looked for it in the iPhone app. There was the header, but the content was blank. So I looked for it in the Mac desktop application. Again I found the header, but the content was blank. Finally I looked for it on the web interface, only to find the same thing. The content had gone, presumably following some glitch in synchronisation.

This means I've lost this note forever. Now I'm wondering how often this happens with Evernote. I have been keeping important material for a book I'm writing in Evernote, but following this I'm not so sure that I should.

Does this happen often?

16 replies to this idea

There are two notes on the Mac that will not appear on the web service, no matter how many times I try to sync. They're not listed as "not yet synced" or anything on the Mac app.
On your Mac, try selecting and then Exporting these notes to an *.enex archive on your computer. Then delete the notes on your Mac and empty them from the Trash. Then, Import them back into your Mac.
I followed YOUR advice (as above) and thus got into the mess with the single notebook containing over 700 uncategorized notes.

The advice I eventually got from "Premium support inquiries" was the stock email you seem to send to everyone.

Thankfully MY backup sorted things out.

Thanks for your valuable time.

YOU misinterpreted what Dave said to do. He didn't say to export & import all 700 notes. And perhaps the email was a canned reply for exporting/importing notes but that doesn't mean it was incorrect. (And it certainly wasn't something sent "to everyone.") You took a very simple task & made it a big deal b/c you misinterpreted. Ok, we all make mistakes & hopefully learn from them. But don't blame someone else for your mistake.

On top of it all, you're griping b/c you didn't get an answer immediately on a Sunday. :?

I followed YOUR advice (as above) and thus got into the mess with the single notebook containing over 700 uncategorized notes.

The advice I eventually got from "Premium support inquiries" was the stock email you seem to send to everyone.

Thankfully MY backup sorted things out.

Thanks for your valuable time.

Evernote replies to Premium support inquiries within one business day. I checked, and it looks like the inquiry you opened at 9:37am on Sunday morning (California time) received an initial reply at 8:11am today (Monday).

This is a community forum for discussion, and not the right place to get time critical direct technical assistance, particularly in the middle of a weekend.

If you had one note with missing content, you should have just exported that one note ... I'm not sure why you should have exported and imported 700 notes. At this point, the real state of your account and client is a little hard to understand. If you work directly with the support people, they can get you straightened out.

I already put in a support query before doing what you suggested, since I'm a premium customer, but I haven't heard anything yet.

My experience hasn't exactly encouraged me to keep important data in Evernote, to say the least.

Why thank you, I'm happy I'm helping (at least a little).

It seemed strange that the total items were different on the Desktop and Web clients - I just noticed I have a similar issue (692 on desktop, 698 on web).

I then went on to see where the missing notes came into play. Some of my notebooks had fewer on the web, while one had more on the web (weird, right?). In an attempt to find which notes were acting strangely, I compared the list on notes on the web and the desktop notes against eachother (in one notebook specifically).

I found one note that is missing on the web, and I noticed that the desktop client says not all resources from the note are indexed and searchable. I am guessing this is in reference to the PDF attachment it has.

I then noticed that all of my notes with PDF attachments say that they are not correctly indexed/searchable.

The plot thickens.

I will be opening a support query with Evernote for my issue, I would say you should probably do the same. Here is a link to the form:

http://www.evernote.com/about/contact/support/#inquiry

I hope this helps (and doesn't freak you out more)!

Thanks for the advice. Evernote staff should be so helpful.

Anyway I tried it out. Before I did anything, I noticed that there were 712 items reported on the web.

I replaced the folder on the Mac, launched Evernote, saw that there were 769 items reported there.

Clicked the sync button. After syncing, saw that there were 715 items reported on the Mac, and after a web page refresh, 713 on the web.

Saw two duplicate items on the Mac, so deleted those and emptied the trash, making 713 on the Mac. But pressed sync and refreshed web, and now 711 reported on the web.

This disparity of two notes persists however many times I click "sync" on the Mac or refresh the web page. I honestly don't know whether I've lost 2 notes, 57 notes, 54 notes or what's going on. Why won't the figures tally when I sync the Mac and the web interfaces?

Honestly, I'm not sure.

However, if you keep the backup (keep it separate, make sure it stays separate), and you simply copy the folder to it's correct location (from your backup HD to your real HD, and still have the folder on the backup HD) - then you sync, you can find out. You still have your backup folder.

If you don't want to risk the notes made since Monday, you can email them to yourself or print them from the web interface. That way you still have those notes, just in case the worst happens.

Do you keep a backup of your computer? If so, you can find the old Evernote Data folder (~/LIbrary/Application Support/Evernote) to replace the current folder.

Meaning you can grab all of Evernote's data from a backup.

If I delete the import, can I somehow get the notes in their notebooks back from the web server???? I'm afraid to click sync (which is on manual) in case the system thinks I have no notes, and deletes these from the web server too.

I did that, and it was disastrous! They re-imported back into a single new notebook called "Import My Notes" - now I have to go through over 700 notes and place them back into the appropriate notebooks!

On your Mac, try selecting and then Exporting these notes to an *.enex archive on your computer. Then delete the notes on your Mac and empty them from the Trash.

Then, Import them back into your Mac.

And here's what I get if I try to view the "Note history" on the Mac app - a jokey but very unhelpful stream of technical jargon:

Stripes validation error report

Here's how it is. Someone (quite possibly the Stripes Dispatcher) needed to get the source page resolution. But no source page was supplied in the request, and unless you override ActionBeanContext.getSourcePageResolution() you're going to need that value. When you use a tag a hidden field called '_sourcePage' is included. If you write your own forms or links that could generate validation errors, you must include a value for this parameter. This can be done by calling request.getServletPath().

Validation errors

Please fix the following errors:

Not found(Note.guid: 4ef396b8-df6f-46b2-8d64-8595fd37cdb0)

Now I've found another glitch.

I realised that, on one of my notebooks, the note count on the Mac application differed to the note count on the web service.

I thought, well, OK, they haven't synced, or something. So I synced them, but the count stubbornly stays different.

There are two notes on the Mac that will not appear on the web service, no matter how many times I try to sync. They're not listed as "not yet synced" or anything on the Mac app.

It all appears to be rather unreliable.

Archived