(Archived) Why doesn't the Android client have this?

mvoort

Hello Evernote,

I just switched from an iPhone to an Android phone and noticed the Android client is missing some functionalies.

What I miss on Android:

- Favourite Notes (gives quick access to important notes)

- Editing existing notes (Android only can append to a note, while iPhone can copy a note (to plain text) and edit the whole thing)

- Harder to make a quick note (why is the "save" button all the way down at the bottom? It should be right in sight at all times)

- Autosaving of voicenotes (iPhone auto-start recording a voicenote, and autosaves it when pressing save. No need to edit anything, handy while driving!)

- No quick snapshots (need to edit so many things, just want to save and move on!)

- Quick scrolling through notes (no scroll bar on the right, now where is that note...)

- No offline access to notes (no internet = no notes at all, what??)

- No easy sorting of notes (not by notebook, not by tag, not by name)

- Why do I need to press an extra button (menu) to view my notes?

I know the iPhone client has had more time to develop, and is some versions further.

Dave, please stand up for us Android users, I know you must agree with some of the things above!

Regards,

Matthijs

Thanks for the feedback! We just hired two new senior Android engineers to work on the platform, so we hope to see lots of progress in the next few months. Random comments:

* The "favorites" thing was an unpopular placeholder until we could do all of the work required for Offline Notebooks, and we're going to skip over them on the Android.

* We're overhauling the UI a bit to follow the Android UI conventions more. Apparently, things should look more like the Twitter or Facebook apps, which may be going in the direction you describe.

* The true multitasking nature of Android will let us do some neat things that iPhone can't, like a desktop widget for quick access to specific features of the app.

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me Dave, I appreciate it.

I am really looking forward to the next version Android app and am confident that it will be 1337 :lol:

About the "favorite notes":

I use Evernote to keep track of my tasks. I have an entire notebook called with tasklists and projects.

What would really be great on -any- platform it to be able to make a link to a specific note from outside the app. As a quick way to go to you tasklist note / shopping list / idea's note. The favorite notebook is a way to get really fast to a specific note. Just an idea.

I really want to believe 'engberg', but Evernote has been saying "it's working on it" for months with no change for Android users. I must have local access to my notes as I am not connected 24/7 due to travelling to remote locations often. Despite what Evernote employees keep saying in these forums, getting local notes on Android cannot be too hard to do as so many other companies have done it. Evernote needs to be honest with customers and admit it really is focused on supporting Apple devices. The fact that a lack of Android services like offline notes on devices has been known for months and Evernote says it is just now hiring to fix the problem says it all to me. SpringPad meets my needs and though I probably would have become a premium Evernote member, I'm forced to move (though I don't want to) to a company that shows that it really wants to support Android devices. :lol:

@antbirdie

I understand the frustration. However developing a software application takes some time developing and testing. Would they start developing now it will easily take until the holidays to have something that can be called 'final'.

They can't just quickly build something. Also the 'problem' is that the iPhone client has been around for longer, thus it had more time to get were it is now.

Maybe we can help testing the application ;-)

oooh, a widget!! What kind of things could a widget do? I like them, but am trying to imagine what it would do. Maybe a button to take quick voice notes? Handy for in the car to quickly "dictate" something safely (or at least semi-safely).

I just saw it over the developer's shoulder, and I think there are buttons for starting basic note creation of various types, and a control to click to start searching through your notes.

Archived