Please fix the Chrome Clipper - and bring back all the previous functionality

Scot C

Idea

I was using evernote quite happily to clip out images I needed for my trip planner. I would right click on any image and the context menu would pop up for "clip image." I would clip and and would send to my inbox folder.

Now when I right click on an image my only options are 1. Clip full page, 2. Clip bookmark, or 3. Clip screenshot. 

What happened to Clip Image? I haven't changed any settings knowingly.

I am using version 7.0.0.293

• Level 5*

Much as I'd like to continue arguing the minutiae of why this happened,  who's responsible and whether it's actually doing any good to be repeatedly demanding answers when the company is remaining silent (clue: you can't force them to respond...) the traffic about this one issue is taking more time than a dozen new posts from other users getting to grips with Evernote's processes. 

So I'm going to go back to answering those queries where I may actually do some good.  No-one will know exactly what happened here unless and until you get an official statement so be as imaginative and critical as you like. 

I would strongly suggest you keep on clicking the button at top left of the page if you haven't yet voted - it's the one quantifiable measure of how many people are actually affected by this issue.  The higher the number,  the more likely Evernote is to put more resources behind sorting this out.  It's still not a democracy though - they could just ignore us all.... and lose however many of the 40-odd clickers so far are subscribers.

55 minutes ago, gazumped said:

the traffic about this one issue is taking more time than a dozen new posts from other users getting to grips with Evernote's processes. 

It's still not a democracy though - they could just ignore us all.... and lose however many of the 40-odd clickers so far are subscribers.

Hmm, I wonder why this issue is consuming so much time. Could it be that it is something that people care about?

Of course, it's not a democracy, but most companies care about their reputation for customer service. Most want to be considered responsive to customer concerns. They don't want to be described negatively by customers, the press, and analysts who study the company. (The way Evernote mishandled the price increase last year was written about.)  Evernote's failure to communicate does not speak well for it. Even if I had a need for Evernote Business, why would I want to pay more and involve others with a company that acts like this? (Unless Evernote is favoring business customers and treating its regular customers like second-class citizens.)

The main reason I've returned here is disbelief that people are suggesting that wholly reasonable customer complaints are not reasonable and to be expected. 

If this isn't brought back as soon as possible, I'm moving on.  I have thousands of pages in my Evernote notebook, and the web clipper is completely useless. This should be priority number one.  And while you're at it, PLEASE ALLOW HORIZONTAL RESIZING of the web clipper. Jesus, stop making ***** to fit on 800x600 monitors, it's 2018

Please bring back web clipper functionality especially the horizontal resizing.  I am dead in the water with Evernote until this is fixed, as I will not create notes that i will have to spend a bunch of time editing out banners and such that I should be able to resize out.   

7 hours ago, AndreasM said:

Gazumped,

ground-up rebuilt, first-aid response to Chrome changes????? What are you talking about?

I have the latest updated Chrome browser, have installed the previous Evernote Web Clipper extension 6.13.2 (where everything works like it used to), and, everything works like we know it. So what was the reason for first-aid response????? Could you elaborate on this, or you just telling us something to confuse the readers here!!!!

Where is the official statement from Evernote telling us what happened and why?????

I put in a support ticket about this and was told the following:

"Thanks for reaching out to us at Evernote Support. I understand that after the latest update to Web Clipper, the options to search for a specific notebook to send clipped content as well as the keyboard shortcut to select a notebook in Clipper are not appearing. I wanted to let you know that the latest version of Clipper is running on a brand new engine and was completely rewritten to optimize its performance on this engine. This is the reason these options were removed. I want to be sure to tell you that I have documented this email as a feature request with our development team, which is aware of the need for the return of these features and working to have them come back. I don't have a timeline for when this will happen,."

So no, not a first-aid response, just an idea by someone to do a rebuild and break everything in the process, thus upsetting a lot of users. 

I have gone back to version 6.13.2 and that is working fine just as before with all the features that the Chrome Clipper had before and I'll stick with it.

23 minutes ago, ian_marson said:

I put in a support ticket about this and was told the following:

"Thanks for reaching out to us at Evernote Support. I understand that after the latest update to Web Clipper, the options to search for a specific notebook to send clipped content as well as the keyboard shortcut to select a notebook in Clipper are not appearing. I wanted to let you know that the latest version of Clipper is running on a brand new engine and was completely rewritten to optimize its performance on this engine. This is the reason these options were removed. I want to be sure to tell you that I have documented this email as a feature request with our development team, which is aware of the need for the return of these features and working to have them come back. I don't have a timeline for when this will happen,."

So no, not a first-aid response, just an idea by someone to do a rebuild and break everything in the process, thus upsetting a lot of users. 

I have gone back to version 6.13.2 and that is working fine just as before with all the features that the Chrome Clipper had before and I'll stick with it.

How did you go back to 6.13.2?

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  It wasn't a post as such:  the general comment is here -

It wasn't a "change".  Check the post at the top of this reply or read the Twitter feed.

According to someone who has been in touch with Evernote Support more recently, it was indeed a change, not an emergency response to a change by Chrome. 

By mastahype above, how to go back to an earlier version:

https://crx.dam.io/ext/pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc.html

Download the version you want and load as unpacked extension in Chrome. I can't ensure the validity of this side nor that extensions haven't been modified. However, 6.13.2 still works in Chrome Version 66.0.3359.66 (Official Build) beta (64-bit), so the message I see posted about Chrome breaking the clipper is sketchy. I suspect they wanted to have incremental releases of the new ground-up rebuild. The rebuild actually looks and functions like a very old version of the clipper from my recollection. It seems like a poor decision and totally screwed many paying and non-paying customers. This feels like a bonehead move, but mostly because there was no real notice (there is a post in the forum from 2017 saying they were stopping announcements of new releases).

On a Chromebook however there would be no way to revert to an earlier version of Evernote.

• Level 5*
On 4/5/2018 at 11:01 AM, gazumped said:

If you want want Evernote to put fixing the Chrome clipper and bringing back all the original features to the top of the list and treat it as Priority 1,  please vote here!

I'm with you on this one, Gaz.  I just voted 3 times, so I hope that helps.  ?

Seriously though, this has totally broken my many-times-a-day workflow.  Web clipping is the single most-used feature of Evernote for me.

You'd think now that Evernote has a serious Google connection now, stuff like this wouldn't happen.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, DreamWeaver2500 said:

Download the version you want and load as unpacked extension in Chrome

Thanks for sharing this.  For the less informed of us, like me, could you please share instructions or link on how to do this?

A quick google showed only old instructions.

Thanks.

• Level 5*
On 4/7/2018 at 6:58 PM, gazumped said:

Expressing displeasure may make customers feel better,  but it doesn't act as an incentive,  nor does it apply any pressure.

How would you know this?  Do you work for Evernote?  Are you close friends with Evernote executives?  Do you have inside knowledge?

Quite to the contrary, I have observed many companies making changes, sometimes big changes, where there is a large public outcry.

So, there's nothing wrong with complaining, and it may yield desired results.  I strongly encourage everyone to complain about this as loudly and often as they can.  All of you Twitter and Facebook (can I still say that word?) users, please make your complains there as well.

I have used the clip image for years and also report it missing. For some time some of the clipped images would display in the preview pane (windows desktop application) vertically enlarged... but now it's every picture clipped via selection.

I moved from zootool to evernote some years ago. Thousands of image-notes later I'm again with the same problem.

9 hours ago, JSK said:

Download it from this link

It comes as a zip file:

1. Open the zip file, select all the files in the zip and copy them to a new folder, remember where the folder is and what you called it.

2. Uninstall any Evernote Clipper extension from Chrome.

3. In a new Chrome window type chrome://extensions/ > Enter

4. Click on "Load Unpacked" at the top of the page then select the folder you have just created with the extracted zip files in it

5. The extension should then install into Chrome

It worked for me, how long it will work for I don't know!!

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, ian_marson said:
9 hours ago, JSK said:

It comes as a zip file:

1. Open the zip file, select all the files in the zip and copy them to a new folder, remember where the folder is and what you called it.

4. Click on "Load Unpacked" at the top of the page then select the folder you have just created with the extracted zip files in it

That is pretty much what I just did, with these exceptions: (Note I am using a Mac, macOS Sierra)

At the Chrome Extensions Archive site, I had to download using Safari, AFTER I clicked on "View Source" for ver 6.13.2.  When I downloaded it directly using Chrome I got a zip file that would NOT decompress correctly.

After downloading from the Archive site, I had a file "6.13.12.zip".  I just double-clicked on this, and it decompressed into a folder named "6.13.2"

I then, using Google Chrome 65.0.3325.181 (3325.181) on macOS 10.12.6:

1. Removed/deleted the current EN Clipper
  2. Restarted Chrome
  3. Entered " chrome://extensions/"
  4. Made sure the "Developer Mode" in the upper right corner was ON.
  5. Click on "Load Unpacked", and selected the "6.13.2" folder.
  6. That was it, except to review/change the Options in the Clipper.

For independent instructions, see How To Install an unpacked Chrome extension 

So - beyond removing a bunch of features that people rely on, the notes I clip with the new WebClipper show up as empty in my desktop client.

It shows a preview in the snippets list, but the note itself is just blank.

I'd really like to spend less time angsting about how ***** evernote is becoming and more time with tools that help me be productive.

2 hours ago, ian_marson said:

It comes as a zip file:

It worked for me, how long it will work for I don't know!!

Ok, I have done this and works. Im in Windows 7 with chrome. 

BUT PLEASE EVERNOTE fix the extension.

On 4/8/2018 at 5:00 AM, Etonreve said:

A major justification of the price increase last year was so there would be funds to concentrate on the core product. Why doesn't Evernote survey its customers about the features they actually use and want before making changes? 

That's true. I got hopeful when I stopped seeing ads for 40 dollar socks and 70 dollar smart moleskins or whathave you. Luckily I'm not getting bit by the broken features since my clipper isn't working period (unless I switch to an outdated version of Firefox, which I've been resorting to).  Instead of bandaging a paralyzed update you'd think they'd roll it back. Luckily copy and paste has improved compared to how it used to be (I can paste this thread without too much butchering).

Thanks to Ian for posting the link to the past versions, by the way.  

I used to be diligent on downloading my own copy of Firefox extensions for this reason back in the day, but Firefox Evernoted itself long ago and I only use a sandboxed old version if I need to look at something in my old Scrapbook archives. I hope no other stand-by software I support Evernotes itself, because 10 years in with my data is too deep to have much leverage. 

As usual, I can't even remember where my train of thought left off before diverting myself here. 

3 hours ago, bill77 said:

That's true. I got hopeful when I stopped seeing ads for 40 dollar socks and 70 dollar smart moleskins or whathave you.

I could be wrong, but I recall $75 striped socks. Acrylic. 

12 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Thanks for sharing this.  For the less informed of us, like me, could you please share instructions or link on how to do this?

A quick google showed only old instructions.

Thanks.

I was quoting mastahype from an earlier post on this thread ... wish I could answer your question and would like to know myself. I'm on a Chromebook and there's no way to revert to an earlier version of Evernote because there are no programs on a Chromebook; the icon is no more than a link that brings up the Evernote website in a separate window. For my desktop, I'm still running XP with Chrome browser but don't use the Web Clipper on that machine. Check mastahype's post above and see if he will be able to address your question.

I really hate that the search field for selecting notebooks has been replaced with an alphabetical drop down menu. I have a LOT of notebooks. Scrolling to find the most appropriate notebook is crazy-making! Adding my vote - reinstate all the previous web clipper functionality in Chrome ASAP. It becomes practically useless to me in its current state. 

I followed the instructions of an earlier post to download and install the 6.13.2 version.  No matter what browser or OS I use, I can't get the file to download as a valid and expandable zip file.  If some has another source of a working file, I would really like to get it.   Perhaps you could share a valid file or folder via a public dropbox link?

• Level 5*
On 4/5/2018 at 11:01 AM, gazumped said:

A recent update to Chrome seems to have broken Clipper completely.

On 4/7/2018 at 6:51 PM, gazumped said:

This,  as far as we know so far,  is a first-aid response to Chrome changing the rules of engagement for add-in apps

@gazumped, please quit spreading misinformation/rumors (some would call it "fake news"  LOL).  Especially those that grossly mislead us.  If you have actual facts, backed up by a link to a credible source, then feel free to share that.

The facts directly contradict your above statement that Chrome broke the EN Web clipper.  How do I know?  Right now I am running Google Chrome 65.0.3325.181 (3325.181) with Evernote Clipper 6.13.2  on macOS 10.12.6, and the EN Clipper and Chrome are working just fine -- no issues.

• Level 5*
On 2018-04-09 at 3:34 PM, JMichaelTX said:

If you have actual facts, backed up by a link to a credible source, then feel free to share that.

I've seen no official response from Evernote; just this post from an Evernote employee and a twitter response from Support

Edited: Now this

I badly need the Add remark feature back

I'm getting really tired of Evernote taking away functionality.  It seems that they only want to do fun new things like group collaboration, but don't care about the basic functionality we've come to rely on and pay for!

On 4/7/2018 at 6:31 AM, Etonreve said:

I find your solicitude baffling. This is a not-inexpensive app by an established company that has been made demonstrably less useful. There has been no meaningful communication from Evernote. I've had a premium subscription for years and so I suspect have many of the people here and elsewhere who are distressed. 

The service isn't fully paid, so not every customer affected by this is a paying customer. Since freemium customers often turn into paying customers, I included them. We're all customers, so our feedback - of all types and phrasings - should be accepted. I too am a premium customer, but that shouldn't matter to Evernote - or this forum - because the changes affect every customer.

I don't believe I am being solicitous, but of course that's entirely your opinion and you are entitled to it. I do know that for me, personally, yelling and threatening isn't very helpful to making me change my mind or having a meaningful discussion. I do find that level-headed discourse often allows those with differing opinions to come to some sort of understanding, so I try to come at all discussions with that mindset. I know, it's a terrible habit to have. =)

You are welcome to provide your feedback in whatever way you find most comfortable or helpful to you, and I will provide mine in the way that is most comfortable to me. I hope that Evernote listens to us regardless of which voice they prefer.

I hope your day is excellent Etonreve! May our Evernote web clippers be fixed by the next sundown!

EDIT: I also agree with your earlier point about this is a terrible way to treat customers - paying or not - and should be addressed. Just because I agree differently doesn't mean I disagree. =)

On 4/5/2018 at 6:01 PM, gazumped said:

A recent update to Chrome seems to have broken Clipper completely.  Evernote responded by diving in and fixing it with an emergency bypass,  but the 'new' clipper lacks notebook selection and comments amongst other things. 

Evernote say they'll bring back missing features when they can (my wording - they may have been more definite and more urgent than that). 

If you want want Evernote to put fixing the Chrome clipper and bringing back all the original features to the top of the list and treat it as Priority 1,  please vote here!

Remember you can still use other browsers,  or change your workflow to get around these missing features,  but the changes completely break any Chrome users' workflow!!

Why does Evernote insist on breaking something useful with nearly every update? Is the company in trouble? As a paying customer I have the right know. I no longer feel certain that my notes are in good hands. After all, there appear to be very few -- if any -- internal control processes that would prevent buggy updates.

In the latest case some hack decided to mess up the Chrome Web Clipper.

My top complaints about the current version:

• Bring back the notes field
  • Bring back the alphabetized list of notebooks
  • For CRYING OUT LOUD: Stop showing me related notes. They are useless. They display regardless of which options I select

I am, for now, still a paying customer. But I'm actively looking for an Evernote alternative. 

On 4/5/2018 at 8:23 AM, gazumped said:

There's always other browsers,  other clippers...

Changing to 'other browsers' is a major workflow impediment to a lot of us.

As for 'other clippers', not sure what you mean. Do you mean 3rd party Evernote clippers? Or other clipping services?

If the former, there's the opportunity cost of spending time researching & testing 3rd party clippers, then dealing with *their* flaws. & that's w/o considering the added risk of giving an unknown 3rd party access to your Evernote stack.

If the latter, the field is pretty small: Evernote drove most competitors out of the field, & of the few that remain commercially viable AFAICS only OneNote approaches 80% of the feature set (& doesn't include features I use all the time).

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, eric scoles said:

Changing to 'other browsers' is a major workflow impediment to a lot of us.

As for 'other clippers', not sure what you mean. Do you mean 3rd party Evernote clippers? Or other clipping services?

Hi.  I use a couple of Firefox extensions for various services including page and selection capture,  which are also good for the occasions when the page somehow resists Evernote's clipper.  There seem to be a couple of options of that type in Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/clip page screen?_category=extensions - but I take your point that it would be a task to decide which works best for you and adapt your workflow accordingly. 

The security issue isn't relevant (AFAIK) because my extensions just clip to the desktop - there's an added task to move clips to the right notebook,  though that's fairly easy for small volume clips.

By 'other clippers'  I actually meant different methods of clipping,  like screenshots and copy/ paste but again in some cases that's a workflow change.

I did see that if you go into More Tools > Extensions > Evernote > Options you can designate a specific notebook for all clips,  so one work-around for some users may be to have a 'clips' notebook as an inbox until they can move clip notes into a more relevant location.

Best resolution (of course) is for Evernote to resolve this one way or another soon!

Edit:  and of course I forgot that there's a user-supplied option in the main thread on this to step Clipper back to the previous version,  though I don't know how long that might last...

• Level 5

Hi All,

Thank you for all of your feedback, comments and concerns.

I’ve gone ahead and merged multiple threads that relate to the changes with the Web Clipper for the sake of clarity, and to better enable our ability to track your feedback.

I’ve reached out to our Development Team in order to obtain more information regarding the changes with the recent release of Clipper 7 for Chrome.

The team let me know that Clipper 7 for Chrome contains a completely re-written clipping engine that they believe will create a better clipping experience overall.

Unfortunately, as they are using a new clipping engine,  they were unable to immediately implement all of the features that were previously available in the older versions of the clipper.

However, they did let me know that they are currently working on bringing several features back into Clipper 7 to provide feature parity with the previous versions of the clipper.

At this time, I’m working with our team to gather more information, and to determine how best to proceed to address your feedback and concerns.

I’ll follow-up once I have more information available.

6 hours ago, xtoq said:

The service isn't fully paid, so not every customer affected by this is a paying customer. Since freemium customers often turn into paying customers, I included them. We're all customers, so our feedback - of all types and phrasings - should be accepted. I too am a premium customer, but that shouldn't matter to Evernote - or this forum - because the changes affect every customer.

I don't believe I am being solicitous, but of course that's entirely your opinion and you are entitled to it. I do know that for me, personally, yelling and threatening isn't very helpful to making me change my mind or having a meaningful discussion. I do find that level-headed discourse often allows those with differing opinions to come to some sort of understanding, so I try to come at all discussions with that mindset. I know, it's a terrible habit to have. =)

You are welcome to provide your feedback in whatever way you find most comfortable or helpful to you, and I will provide mine in the way that is most comfortable to me. I hope that Evernote listens to us regardless of which voice they prefer.

I hope your day is excellent Etonreve! May our Evernote web clippers be fixed by the next sundown!

EDIT: I also agree with your earlier point about this is a terrible way to treat customers - paying or not - and should be addressed. Just because I agree differently doesn't mean I disagree. =)

In no way was I suggesting that free users be treated differently from paid ones. I was simply making it clear that I am not a "freeloader" as some here characterize the non-subscription customers.  But as a paying customer, I can't get over that last year Evernote hiked its price a ridiculous amount and we are getting less service.

Everything you suggested in your earlier post sounded sensible. I would have expected Evernote to have put those practices in place long ago.

I'm happy we can agree that there's no excuse for the poor communication.

You have a good day, too.

3 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Thank you for all of your feedback, comments and concerns.

I’ve gone ahead and merged multiple threads that relate to the changes with the Web Clipper for the sake of clarity, and to better enable our ability to track your feedback.

I’ve reached out to our Development Team in order to obtain more information regarding the changes with the recent release of Clipper 7 for Chrome.

The team let me know that Clipper 7 for Chrome contains a completely re-written clipping engine that they believe will create a better clipping experience overall.

Unfortunately, as they are using a new clipping engine,  they were unable to immediately implement all of the features that were previously available in the older versions of the clipper.

However, they did let me know that they are currently working on bringing several features back into Clipper 7 to provide feature parity with the previous versions of the clipper.

At this time, I’m working with our team to gather more information, and to determine how best to proceed to address your feedback and concerns.

I’ll follow-up once I have more information available.

Shane:

Thank you for providing even a little bit of information from Evernote.  I recognize that you don't have an enviable job. Please update us as soon as you can.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Shane,

This is one of those you might also ask the powers that be what the time delta would have been to incorporate the missing features and how that weighed against aggravating some customers.  Chrome clipper seemed to be working quite well for most so that would seem to put the onus on matching core bits of function prior to release.  I'm hopeful the new method has some longer term advantages to EN, but would deploying a bit later have made that much difference I guess is the question (rhetorical).  :)

I got a prompt reply from EVERNOTE help. Less than ten minutes!  Never had that sort of response before!!  They said it was a priority to fix this issue. When I immediately messaged back to asj for an expected date there was simply an answer saying they couldn't say. Grrhh!  So today I am managing my ten twitter accounts I run for business friends (not a business arrangement just a help for help arrangement)  This is the message that will be going out    A link to this discussion is included as you see  Will add it on FAcebook as well. Hit them where it hurts!

@evernote We won't be voting for you in the   @TheWebbyAwards  Evernote  You stole my @googlechrome web clipper Please fix it   !

in the -bring-back-all-the-previous-functionality/ w

On 4/9/2018 at 4:33 PM, NDimmick said:

I followed the instructions of an earlier post to download and install the 6.13.2 version.  No matter what browser or OS I use, I can't get the file to download as a valid and expandable zip file.  If some has another source of a working file, I would really like to get it.   Perhaps you could share a valid file or folder via a public dropbox link?

Is yours Windows or Mac?  If yours is Mac...where did you locate the chrome 6.13.2 version?  I can't locate an english version for Chrome Mac.  I've located and installed 6.13.2 on Firefox and Safari...but can't find english 6.13.2 for Mac Chrome,  Thanks in advance.

On 4/9/2018 at 2:32 AM, JMichaelTX said:

That is pretty much what I just did, with these exceptions: (Note I am using a Mac, macOS Sierra)

At the Chrome Extensions Archive site, I had to download using Safari, AFTER I clicked on "View Source" for ver 6.13.2.  When I downloaded it directly using Chrome I got a zip file that would NOT decompress correctly.

After downloading from the Archive site, I had a file "6.13.12.zip".  I just double-clicked on this, and it decompressed into a folder named "6.13.2"

I then, using Google Chrome 65.0.3325.181 (3325.181) on macOS 10.12.6:

1. Removed/deleted the current EN Clipper
  2. Restarted Chrome
  3. Entered " chrome://extensions/"
  4. Made sure the "Developer Mode" in the upper right corner was ON.
  5. Click on "Load Unpacked", and selected the "6.13.2" folder.
  6. That was it, except to review/change the Options in the Clipper.

For independent instructions, see How To Install an unpacked Chrome extension 

Looks like all the traffic from these posts have taken that site down.  You can't connect with their server any more.  Any idea where another Mac version is located?

18 hours ago, Etonreve said:

In no way was I suggesting that free users be treated differently from paid ones. I was simply making it clear that I am not a "freeloader" as some here characterize the non-subscription customers. 

Exactly! In my opinion and experience, this sentiment is a large part of the problem in freemium software: the idea that someone who uses the service but doesn't pay for it is somehow not "worthy" of the same user experience and customer care that "paying" customers are. Thank you for clarifying that you agree that's a silly position to have!

Let's hope that we get some answers from Evernote soon. Then I can go back to doing research, not using 3 other tools to fill the gap left by the recent changes. (And hopefully I won't have to continue using those 3 tools...)

Regardless of Evernote's communication schedule, I hope today is a good day for you again!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, crucialmusic said:

This is the message that will be going out    A link to this discussion is included as you see  Will add it on FAcebook as well. Hit them where it hurts!

Uh, sure. That's going to make the developers develop faster.

Not.

On 4/9/2018 at 10:33 PM, NDimmick said:

I couldn't unzip it with 7-zip nor Winzip either, which I know happens regularly when the original zip was made with Winrar (they say it's a .zip compatible with all other zip softwares, but with how often other softwares can't actually unpack those files, I'm pretty sure that they do something to push people to keep using Winrar).

Anyway, point is: install winrar. https://www.win-rar.com/download.html?&L=0

It's a paid/trial version, but you just have to install, unpack, then uninstall. I kept both the zip and actual folder on my computer, for archiving afterward.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, xtoq said:

Exactly! In my opinion and experience, this sentiment is a large part of the problem in freemium software: the idea that someone who uses the service but doesn't pay for it is somehow not "worthy" of the same user experience and customer care that "paying" customers are. Thank you for clarifying that you agree that's a silly position to have!

I really don't think that that's quite what @Etonreveis saying. I think that during the furor over Evernote's pricing changes a couple of years back, there was some noise about "freeloaders" in the relevant topics (which is what they're possibly referring to), but that's pretty much absent these days, in the forum areas that I inhabit anyway (I read a fair amount, usually).

In the forums, nobody1 cares whether you're a paid user or a free user. Users are users, and this being largely a user-supported forum, nobody (even Evernote staff) is going to ask whether you're a free or paid user, unless your particular problem bumps up against the free vs. paid version limits, in which case, advice will be tailored appropriately.

But customer service is another thing; it costs money, and so Evernote has made a choice to offer levels of support. Free users can get help on Twitter. They generally can't get help via standard support, as best I understand it.

But ultimately your voice is heard in the forums here, which Evernote staffers monitor pretty thoroughly, even if they don't respond to everyone.

Anyways, with respect to the actual issue here, the answer -- per @Shane D. -- is that they know about the issue of missing features, and they're working on it. It can be hard to predict feature implementation timelines (it's often wishful thinking), so they're loath to do so, and understandably so, in my opinion. We're all in the same boat here, in that respect, and I think we're all going to need to be a little patient.

1Or only a vanishingly small number of people

• Level 5*
On 4/8/2018 at 9:07 AM, gazumped said:

So I'm going to go back to answering those queries where I may actually do some good.  No-one will know exactly what happened here unless and until you get an official statement so be as imaginative and critical as you like. 

@gazumped, I'm glad to see you state that no-one, including yourself, knows what happened.  So why were you spreading misinformation? (don't answer --that's a rhetorical question).

However, I can report, as I did above, that EN Clipper 6.13.2 is working just fine with the latest version of Chrome.  So that makes me very suspicious of anyone who states or suggests that Chrome broke the EN Clipper.  So, @gazumped, please do as you say:  "So I'm going to go back to answering those queries where I may actually do some good."

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, snugla1 said:

Looks like all the traffic from these posts have taken that site down.  You can't connect with their server any more.  Any idea where another Mac version is located?

Here is the Evernote Chrome Clipper 6.13.2 for Mac that I downloaded:

6.13.2.zip

• Level 5*
On 2018-04-07 at 11:35 AM, Etonreve said:

An Evernote customer on Twitter said he had thought he finally could relax about EN working without drama.

Some users will always be drama queens.
I'm relaxed; working around issues, or downgrading to previous versions.

I'm sure everything I'm saying has been said, but it bears repeating, STRESSING, IMPRESSING UPON EVERNOTE, LETTING THE MESSAGE GET THE ATTENTION IT DESERVES:

I was quite surprised to see first my firerfox extension downgraded to release version 0.09a (made this version number up).  Then I noticed the Chrome extension also turned into a clunky example of UX anti-patterns.

PROBLEMS:

- The extension display width is not wide enough for me to read my notebook names.  Which makes the fact that I can no longer search for notebooks 10x worse.  I currently have to open a local Evernote app instance, find the notebook I want to clip content to, then remember where that notebook is relative to notebooks I can read (if you can't picture this it's my fault, but for a mature product this is ridiculous). 

- I can't create a new notebook from the extension

- There is no Refresh list of notebooks button

- I can't include comments anymore

Evernote:  as a software engineer myself, you know you don't release to production worldwide a product that at the bare minimum doesn't have the same functionalities of use.  Did you beta test this with regular Evernote users?  I doubt it.  There is a list of features I would like to see ADDED to Evernote, something that sometimes frustrates me but given few alternatives that are of comparable quality I'm stuck with Evernote.. which I don't mind 95% of the time.

I once heard that one call or visit to a congressman's office to oppose or support something reflects the views of 1000 people who don't have the time or initiative to contact them.  I would apply this principle to this thread... there may only be about 100 votes as of my writing this, but know that for every person like me who created a forum account just to comment on this there are 1000 people frustrated with a forced downgrade.

If anyone has suggestions on alternatives to Evernote that are worth checking out, reply post.. I'm not saying this because of the extension debacle but other reasons I would prefer to host my own note server (I have something similar with Synology Note Station) that isn't tied to my home NAS.

Hope this gets resolved soon, Evernote should give ThoughtWorks a call to get some consultants over to make a plan for adding features that daily users want.

-- ADDED: Maybe Upvoting every post in this thread will give it the attention it deserves --

On 4/7/2018 at 6:51 PM, gazumped said:

Evernote has not commented so far.  They're not laughing,  not ignoring,  and most definitely not upgrading.  This,  as far as we know so far,  is a first-aid response to Chrome changing the rules of engagement for add-in apps.  It's irrelevant that Evernote is going forward with their own developments - separate issue,  not related.

And Evernote is not 'breaking' anything.  They're trying to ensure that you still have access to the service you want.  And getting precious little credit or thanks for it.

And no.  I don't get paid by Evernote.

I don't know about you but I am a paying user of Evernote, so at least the not losing of features should be implicit in my expectations as a customer.

I first noticed this change in Firefox so although I don't know the technicalities of the Chrome change you are referring to, this isn't Chrome specific

I deleted and re-installed the Evernote Chrome Clipper Extension -- Version 7.0.2.293 updated on 4/4/18 -- and all the same problems identified in this thread still exist. 

On 4/11/2018 at 8:47 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Here is the Evernote Chrome Clipper 6.13.2 for Mac that I downloaded:

6.13.2.zip

Awesome!!  Thanks so much!  I downloaded, unpacked and installed the extension.  My web clipper works as it did before, and all is right in my world again.  Thank you, thank you, thank you for saving my sanity. ;-)

Hey all...thanks to "Guru" JMichaelTX I was able to get my web clipper reverted to the previous version...6.13.2. 

All the previous features are now back!

You can see the exact steps in the video I recorded here --->> https://www.useloom.com/share/130d8624b40c4768922c19bc0fbd526f

And be sure to give a big shout out to JMichaelTX for pointing us to a solution, putting us out of our misery.  :-) 

On 05/04/2018 at 7:42 PM, echristopherson said:

4. Stop resetting Clipper preferences when the extension is updated (e.g. changing the folder option to auto-file; changing the action to perform once Clipper is done; etc.)

THIS.

Well...seems like the Evernote team have got it PARTLY right.
We can search for folders again but...
the search needs to be CASE SENSITIVE now!

That is totally absurd...it was never that way originally.
Plus...still no keystrokes.

hanging in there...

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, mday108 said:

We can search for folders again but...
the search needs to be CASE SENSITIVE now!

Um, I think that you mean "case insensitive". Which, yes, it should be.

Considering that they scrambled to restore most of the missing features, it's not surprising that that happened; hopefully they'll be able to remedy that sooner rather than later.

My clipper just updated.  And while the searching capacity is restored, it doesn't work properly.  Maybe it only searches with the correct upper and lower case?  (I saw another post about that in my email about this thread, which if true REALLY needs to be fixed.  The searching is nearly worthless otherwise.)

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

Did someone from Evernote post anything about this Chrome issue yet? There are still a lot of issues with Chrome Web Clipper.

There's a new release discussion at

I right-clicked to copy an image and was told I needed to sign in. I had to type in my information several times before it was accepted. Then, the web clipper did not clip the image. It selected the "Full Page" option and captured only a part of the page.

The only reason I haven't dropped this app is son I don't to bother with changing everything, but I'm starting to get very fed up. If you don't fix this I swear to God I'm declaring war on Evernote and putting everyone I meet against it.

Btw I'm sick and tired of UNISTALLING and REINSTALLING the app any time I start the computer.

I wish someone got fired over this, but I don't hope so.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Etonreve said:

I right-clicked to copy an image and was told I needed to sign in. I had to type in my information several times before it was accepted. Then, the web clipper did not clip the image. It selected the "Full Page" option and captured only a part of the page.

If you use import folders you can right click the image and use Save image as... to save to your import folder.  No need to have clipper engaged for that.  Got to tag and/or move the note later though....

As I can see, the notebook search on the new Web Clipper is annoying more people than just me.

We must write, in the search box, the exact amount of text that is written in the notebook's name. It's not practical. And you have to remember the whole name of the notebook to find it. It had been better once.

• Level 5*
On 5/7/2018 at 9:33 AM, Arthur Ramos Schaefer said:

We must write, in the search box, the exact amount of text that is written in the notebook's name. It's not practical. And you have to remember the whole name of the notebook to find it. It had been better once.

That's not strictly true. While it's still true that matching is done in a case-sensitive fashion, the search will do partial matches. For example, if my notebook is named "Notebook", I can type "ote" and the "Notebook" notebook will appear in the list. If my notebook is named "TODO", then typing "DO" will match it.

Obviously, the case-sensitivity problem ought to be fixed.

2 hours ago, jefito said:

That's not strictly true. While it's still true that matching is done in a case-sensitive fashion, the search will do partial matches. For example, if my notebook is named "Notebook", I can type "ote" and the "Notebook" notebook will appear in the list. If my notebook is named "TODO", then typing "DO" will match it.

Obviously, the case-sensitivity problem ought to be fixed.

Well, not here. 

I have some notebooks named [ BTI ] GLPI - Client's name. If I look for the client's name, nothing appears. 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Arthur Ramos Schaefer said:

Well, not here. 

I have some notebooks named [ BTI ] GLPI - Client's name. If I look for the client's name, nothing appears. 

Don't know what to tell you. I certainly tried it before I posted here. Version is 7.1.0.318-ce89aa98, on Chrome. Win 10

It is still not fixed weeks later!!! As a IT Specialist i will not advice Evernote ever to my customers anymore. 

Evernote what are you doing? This is very bad customer service!!!

Archived