App crashes when I open a note

Hi, when I open a note, the app would freeze and after few minutes it closed. See screenshot. I tried to reinstall the app, restart my phone, deleted some of my notes thinking it was some space issue but it is still persistent, it keeps on crashing down when i open this specific note. Does anyone experience the same? And how can it be fixed? Thanks

909DE237-28F5-46BF-9F5A-51BCBE23C6AB.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  Is that note a particularly long one? If that note causes the issue,  best options seem to be:

• copy the content of the note into a new note and delete the original (on another device,  obviously...)
  • if that doesn't work try simplifying or removing formatting (or copy the content into a text editor and then back into the note)
  • maybe split the note into two or more sections
  • delete the note!
On 4/6/2018 at 4:51 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Is that note a particularly long one? If that note causes the issue,  best options seem to be:

• copy the content of the note into a new note and delete the original (on another device,  obviously...)
  • if that doesn't work try simplifying or removing formatting (or copy the content into a text editor and then back into the note)
  • maybe split the note into two or more sections
  • delete the note!

Thank you, simplifying formatting resolved this issue for me on a note which was causing the same crash/hang! I ended up figuring out the specific change that fixed it was removing a tab (indent) on a line. I don't remember how I added that tab character, maybe I copied it from somewhere else, but I guess the iOS client doesn't like certain tab characters.

On 4/7/2018 at 5:50 AM, gazumped said:

@montasser Hi -

@Erby - Both - I'd suggest trying the various options in my post above; see whether it's the content of the note that is the issue.  If none of that helps,  then reach out to Evernote on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a subscriber,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not.  

Before I figured out the workaround, I tried to go to Evernote support, but ended up in a frustrating dead end. It says to "Please submit a ticket", but I don't see any way to do so from within the app or from that page. It looks like it either takes you back to the community forums or they force you to upgrade for email support. The chat option always shows offline for me even during the hours when it claims to be available. I guess I will try that Twitter account next time.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Leroy231 said:

I tried to go to Evernote support, but ended up in a frustrating dead end.

Seems to happen a lot with the current Support landing page.  If you're a subscriber it should work - sometimes not logging in again seems to help.  If all else fails,  you could always tweet them and get Support to open a ticket for you...  :(

I've been reading the posts about the issues so many people are having with Evernote losing its different abilities, etc.  I finally found this posting /thread that stated the same issue I'm having which is Evernote crashes as soon as I try to open it.  I've read some of the workarounds mentioned but I'm not the most software savvy person and will appreciate any advice/help you guys can offer me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 09/04/2018 at 11:57 AM, ALuv4Fun said:

I've been reading the posts about the issues so many people are having with Evernote losing its different abilities, etc.  I finally found this posting /thread that stated the same issue I'm having which is Evernote crashes as soon as I try to open it.  I've read some of the workarounds mentioned but I'm not the most software savvy person and will appreciate any advice/help you guys can offer me.

Hi.  Sorry for the delay in responding on this - if you still have issues here,  what's your OS and Evernote version?  If you're seeing this on iOS,  the first step is to uninstall and reinstall the app.

It got back to normal for me by the way !

I don't know what changed, maybe Evernote desktop updated automatically or the new iOS 11.3 fixed the issue (?)
I know that it's not Evernote Mobile because it wasn't updated since then.

4 hours ago, montasser said:

It got back to normal for me by the way !

I don't know what changed, maybe Evernote desktop updated automatically or the new iOS 11.3 fixed the issue (?)
I know that it's not Evernote Mobile because it wasn't updated since then.

I guess not for Mobile.. I just updated iOS to 11.3. But I still have the same issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 8:01 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Sorry for the delay in responding on this - if you still have issues here,  what's your OS and Evernote version?  If you're seeing this on iOS,  the first step is to uninstall and reinstall the app.

On 4/9/2018 at 6:57 AM, ALuv4Fun said:

I am having the same crashing problem with Evernote on my iPad.  It stays open for about 10 seconds and then crashes.  I have been trying to download the activity log, but the page doesn’t stay open long enough for me to do so.  Evernote works fine on my iPhone and in the web version on the ipad.  I am using iOS 11.3 on my ipad  and updated Evernote yesterday 

If I delete the app and then reinstall it, will I lose any of my data?  Thank you 

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, Newbie643 said:

If I delete the app and then reinstall it, will I lose any of my data?  Thank you 

Evernote is a cloud service maintaining the master version of your data on a server.

Assuming your notes are sync'd; deleting the app will not impact your data.

Archived