file:// URLs in notes have serious bugs

Hello 

Two bugs with file:// URLs.  First, backslashes make them completely break.  Second, even without backslashes, they don't work.  I get "does not have permission."  

I want to include a link to a file on my hard drive in one of my notes.  The path to the file is the following:

/Volumes/2\ TB\ SSD\ external/current_projects_SSD/Performing\ Arts/comedy/breaking-comedys-dna_\(v.1.4.4\).pdf

When I copy this path into Evernote I see that the '\' characters get turned into HTML "%5C" codes.  So I right click on some tex and select "Link-->Add..." and add this: 

file:///Volumes/2\ TB\ SSD\ external/current_projects_SSD/Performing\ Arts/comedy/breaking-comedys-dna_\(v.1.4.4\).pdf

I then click "OK".  If I then right click on the text and do "Link--> Edit..."  the link has been changed to: 

file:///Volumes/2%5C%20TB%5C%20SSD%5C%20external/current_projects_SSD/Performing%5C%20Arts/comedy/breaking-comedys-dna_%5C(v.1.4.4%5C).pdf

As you can see, the backslashes are preserved here.  It should look like this:

file:///Volumes/2%20TB%20SSD%20external/current_projects_SSD/Performing%20Arts/comedy/breaking-comedys-dna_(v.1.4.4).pdf

If I make these changes, removing the '%5C' characters, then it gives me this error: 

The application “Evernote” does not have permission to open “breaking-comedys-dna_(v.1.4.4).pdf.”

Can Evernote be fixed to work on Mac with file paths? 

Thanks.  

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

The path to the file is the following:

/Volumes/2\ TB\ SSD\ external/current_projects_SSD/Performing\ Arts/comedy/breaking-comedys-dna_\(v.1.4.4\).pdf

How did you obtain that pathname.  My method is documented in the note linked below

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

How did you obtain that pathname.  My method is documented in the note linked below

To answer your question, I dropped the file into the Terminal, which gets a correctly quoted path for the file.  The path is correct, is that what you are asking?  There are no typos in it.  If I copy the path as specified in Evernote with "copy link", then paste it into my browser, the file opens fine for me.  So there is no reason Evernote could not do the same thing as far as I know.  It looks like a bug to me. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, wealthychef said:

I dropped the file into the Terminal, which gets a correctly quoted path for the file. 

You may get a "correctly quoted path" for use within Terminal.5ab6c515e833d_ScreenShot2018-03-24at14_35_06.png.ca05676ee0a44aa556b4436113a4f45c.png.77f298f75b7b4520fa8e626ac5cecedc.png
For use in Evernote, use Finder to identify the file pathname.

13 hours ago, DTLow said:

You may get a "correctly quoted path" for use within Terminal.
For use in Evernote, use Finder to identify the file pathname.

As I mentioned, the URL I'm using works in Chrome and Safari.  It is a correct file:// URL which opens the file in other apps.  Evernote tries to open it and gets permission errors.  

Finder does not have a "Copy blah blah as Pathname".   Man, the upload limits on this forum are ridiculously small.  

I  can copy the file, but then it gets pasted as a file in Evernote.  What Finder are you using that has these different menu options?  

5ac455750205b_ScreenShot2018-04-04at11_31_11AM.jpg.a243f2d778eda572043546c1b2218f31.jpg

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, wealthychef said:

Finder does not have a "Copy blah blah as Pathname".   Man, the upload limits on this forum are ridiculously small.  

Hold down the option key; it toggles copy-file to copy-pathname

On 4/4/2018 at 11:39 AM, DTLow said:

Press the option key; it toggles copy-file to copy-pathname

UPDATE:  WITHOUT changing anything at all in the note, I am now getting "Evernote does not have permission to open" errors again.  

OK, this is weird.  I tried your suggestion and it worked.  I looked back at my original file link and it was identical.  I tested the original and now it works.  I changed nothing between when it was giving me permission error and now.  So I have no idea what the problem is but it's "fixed." at least for now.

Thanks for the help.  I still don't know what the problem was.  Hmm....  why was I getting that "“Evernote” does not have permission to open " error?  

This is the only way I've found paths to files work in Evernote.

Mac is running latest High Sierra and Evernote most up to date version.

1 - Don't use Evernote from the AppStore - use the direct download from Evernote.

2 - Locate the folder or file you need to create a path and drag it into the search bar of Firefox (this is the only way I've found to create a correctly formatted link).

3 - Copy the resulting path

4 - Place cursor in Evernote, and create a link by pasting that path into the link dialog box.

9 hours ago, ColD said:

This is the only way I've found paths to files work in Evernote.

Mac is running latest High Sierra and Evernote most up to date version.

1 - Don't use Evernote from the AppStore - use the direct download from Evernote.

I was skeptical about this but it is interesting that the download version is 7.1, and the App Store version is 7.0.3 as of now for OS X.  Anyhow, I replaced the App Store version Evernote made a separate copy of my notes for whatever reason and then continued...

After installing the new version, the link is working.  I did not have to do the "drag to Firefox" dance you did.  I will revisit in a day or two and see if it mysteriously breaks again.  So far, this is working.  

• 4 months later...
On 4/10/2018 at 7:33 PM, wealthychef said:

I was skeptical about this but it is interesting that the download version is 7.1, and the App Store version is 7.0.3 as of now for OS X.  Anyhow, I replaced the App Store version Evernote made a separate copy of my notes for whatever reason and then continued...

After installing the new version, the link is working.  I did not have to do the "drag to Firefox" dance you did.  I will revisit in a day or two and see if it mysteriously breaks again.  So far, this is working.  

Remarkably this worked for me too, even though we're several versions later (7.3.1 on App Store vs 7.4 on Evernote site). After downloading 7.4 from the Evernote site all the links I've inserted over the past years are working again.

• 2 weeks later...

for me from time to time (eg: right now) those file:/// links do brake as well and I also get those error dialogs 'The application “Evernote” does not have permission to open "XYZ.pdf"'

for the records: I currently use the app-store version of evernote: Version 7.4 (457000 App Store), whereas https://evernote.com/download would give me "Evernote_RELEASE_7.4_456999.dmg" — am I right that the download version seems to be behind the app store version this time? )

i just wanted to share my way of "correctly" adding file paths in evernote:

1. write the text you want to be linked to a local file, eg "xyz.pdf"
  2. select that text
  3. hit cmd+K for "Add Link..." (in menu—>format—>add...)
  4. enter "file://" in the corresponding dialogue ("enter web address for this link")
  5. drag & drop the local file there (this automagically adds the local path starting with "/Users/" after the "file://" you just entered)
  6. hit OK to close the dialogue

voila, now the text "xyz.pdf" got linked to the local file xyz.pdf somewhere on your machine

instead of 5. you could also drop the (once so-called) proxy icon of the file (opened) file — see "Seven ways to save time and effort with proxy icons" (AppleWorld.Today, May 25, 2016) and "Find The Directory Path Of Documents (Or Rename Them) With Proxy Icons [OS X Tips] " (CultOfMac, September 27, 2013)

all this does not prevent one from getting that stupid 'The application “Evernote” does not have permission to open "XYZ.pdf"' error from time to time

• 2 weeks later...

ColD and Steve Lytle seem to be right: Apps from the App Store are sandboxed (they need to be)

As Graham Miln explained in 2014: "This means such an application has been code signed with a set of entitlements. These entitlements are being enforced by macOS. Apple's developer documentation on sandboxing provides more detail."

You can view Evernotes' sandbox entitlements using the following Terminal.app command:

codesign --display --entitlements - /Applications/Evernote.app/

The sandbox limitation means that you can't open an arbitrary file on the file system from Evernote, without explicitly giving Evernote the permission first (eg by dragging the file into the app or by attaching a file). This permission seems to get forgotten once you have quitted the sandboxed Evernote.

The non-App store version does not currently have such limitations (but maybe in the not so distant future?)

The thing I dislike about iOS most is Apple deciding I shouldn't be able to share files easily between apps, e.g. opening a file in one app that I created in another app.  This is the crappiest idea ever.  It's like taking your shoes off before going through the airport line.  Security theatre.  

Archived