Jump to content
  • 0
OrbWeaver

New way to scare the bejezus out of people?

Idea

Just got some brand new (to me) messages from EN on my Android phone saying it had found new photos containing text and would I like to save them to EN. Huh??? Does every photo I take (or just put on the phone) get sent to EN for analysis? Can this be turned off? If I load 13000 new photos (as I did a week or so ago) will my phone be unusable until this examination is complete? Am I overly paranoid? Well, as to the latter, that's not possible in this day and age of FB and UA type stuff. But what about this examining of all my photos? Where is this examination being done? When was I asked if this would be OK? I never would have renewed my premium (or any) subscription if I knew I couldn't have EN on my phone(s) and if it's going to be watching everything I do, I can't have it on my phone(s).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

31 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I agree, just saw this on my Android device, and I don't want any bleeping photo review done by EN, just go away. 

All I want is a shared note taking workspace that doesn't intrude on my user experience. 

I can't find any setting to turn this sh*t off, will check on my MBP if that has more options. 

IDIOTIC "FEATURE"!!!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hi.  This is a fairly new Evernote feature to 'help' users identify pictures on their mobile device which appear to contain text, and offer to save these into Evernote.  AFAIK this is something done locally on the device,  and I've had the odd reminder late at night - seems like it runs once during the day to review pictures taken.  It's not come back to haunt me recently,  and I can't remember whether I found some way to switch it off,  or the feature works only on images that are not currently attached to a note - though on a couple of occasions I'm sure I got reminded about a picture saved to my Gallery by Evernote's camera feature.  (Save images to Gallery is an option you can switch on and off in Evernote Android > Settings > Camera)

The feature has a name*,  and I even completed a brief survey from Evernote recently to say whether I found it useful.  My reaction was that if I wanted to save a picture to Evernote,  I would have saved the image already;  I did not want to be reminded about the many images I also take which might have visible but totally irrelevant text. - An exercise which takes a little while to step through the pictures Evernote thinks it found and delete its interest in those pictures,  some of which are interesting arrangements of light and shadow that have no visible text that I can see with my old-fashioned eyes.

I can't find any trace of more details via a Google search or the help pages,  so if anyone has any more information on this I'd be interested too.  I don't think anyone has set up a voting page yet to get rd of it,  but I would definitely agree:  given the other things that we'd really REALLY like to see fixed or added,  this little project seems like bad judgement and a total waste of time and resources!

*I'm a bad Guru.  So unimpressed with the feature that I can't remember what it's called.  Apart from pointless.  <_<

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Yep, it's useless.  Don't f*ck with my pictures unless I want you to. 

FB has a moronic photo suggestion too, as if I pathologically *have* to share every f-ing picture I take.

And I think Google cooked up some retarded film roll "feature" that wanted me to look at a strung together sequence of pics I had from the past week.  Made no sense. 

Absolutely retarded intrusive and annoying as an auto feature, maybe good if I actually request it. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Same level of rage here.

Blatantly intrusive. No way to disable.

Poorly implemented. It offers to review every photo, even without text.

It designed with "virality" going before usefulness: imagine yourself that after every photo taken you're getting sound + vibro + notification offering you to share, enhance, delete your photo. Every time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Well,  I took a deliberately NOT Evernoted picture of some text yesterday to see whether the 'feature' would reveal itself again,  but I have to say so far I've not seen any AI offers to OCR that bit of forgotten imagery.  Maybe it takes a day or two...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2018/4/1 at 1:05 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  This is a fairly new Evernote feature to 'help' users identify pictures on their mobile device which appear to contain text, and offer to save these into Evernote.  AFAIK this is something done locally on the device,  and I've had the odd reminder late at night - seems like it runs once during the day to review pictures taken.  It's not come back to haunt me recently,  and I can't remember whether I found some way to switch it off,  or the feature works only on images that are not currently attached to a note - though on a couple of occasions I'm sure I got reminded about a picture saved to my Gallery by Evernote's camera feature.  (Save images to Gallery is an option you can switch on and off in Evernote Android > Settings > Camera)

The feature has a name*,  and I even completed a brief survey from Evernote recently to say whether I found it useful.  My reaction was that if I wanted to save a picture to Evernote,  I would have saved the image already;  I did not want to be reminded about the many images I also take which might have visible but totally irrelevant text. - An exercise which takes a little while to step through the pictures Evernote thinks it found and delete its interest in those pictures,  some of which are interesting arrangements of light and shadow that have no visible text that I can see with my old-fashioned eyes.

I can't find any trace of more details via a Google search or the help pages,  so if anyone has any more information on this I'd be interested too.  I don't think anyone has set up a voting page yet to get rd of it,  but I would definitely agree:  given the other things that we'd really REALLY like to see fixed or added,  this little project seems like bad judgement and a total waste of time and resources!

*I'm a bad Guru.  So unimpressed with the feature that I can't remember what it's called.  Apart from pointless.  <_<

 

Yikes. I'm not too keen on features that roll out unannounced, or features that are removed without an announcement well in advance, and I am certainly not interested in having Evernote try and suggest which photos I put into Evernote. In fact, I don't want Evernote in my photos at all unless I specifically ask for it to upload something from my camera roll (iOS). It'd be nice to see a bit more dialogue about such features, and hopefully a bit more interest in providing the many, amany features we have requested and have not yet seen implemented.

In all my years here, I cannot remember a single instance (someone correct me if I am wrong) of a single user among the more than 200 million folks out there asking for this feature... I'm hoping this doesn't make its way over to iOS thanks to you Android guinea pigs :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Put me down as another disgruntled user. After poking around in Evernote for a way to disable this truly intrusive feature, and finding none..., I used the sledgehammer approach.

On Android >> Settings >> Sound & notification >> App notifications >> Evernote >> Block all = On. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Blocking and turning off notifications from the app wouldn't stop the background processes from analyzing the photos anyway, right? I hate to sound like another "upset user" here but this photo analyzing feature is not very helpful at all. If the app is keeping it, then maybe give us an option to turn it on/off? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, Brownlegion said:

Blocking and turning off notifications from the app wouldn't stop the background processes from analyzing the photos anyway, right?

Yeah, Brownlegion..., you're probably right. Which is why I also denied EN permission to my camera. I didn't use that feature anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Here's my experience with this. Yesterday, a notification suddenly popped up over my Evernote screen about collecting photos. I didn't update the app (it's still v. 7.17.1); this just appeared. In my menu list (the screen accessed by tapping the menu button at top left of the main screen) there was now an entry "Collect Photos." Tapping it brought up a screen with a message "Evernote will collect photos that contain text from your gallery and notify you when they are ready to review." But there was nothing that actually appeared on this screen.

There was also a new COLLECT DOCUMENTS setting in the Notifications section of Settings: "Document notifications: When you snap a photo with text, you'll see a notification reminding you to save it in Evernote." It was checked by default, so I unchecked it. Voilà! This caused the Collect Photos entry in the menu list to go away!

At the same time all this showed up, my phone started throwing notification sounds every so often, with no notification in the notification panel. Very annoying. I powered down completely and restarted twice, to no effect. I don't know that Evernote was doing this; it could be a coincidence. But unchecking the "When you snap a photo with text, you'll see a notification" setting did seem to stop it. Evidently that's what turns off the whole "feature."

All in all, this whole thing seems extremely poorly thought out and implemented.

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Thanks for that pointer - I couldn't find the setting before.  My Android client updated today to the latest beta v8 and checking Evernote's settings (amongst other things),  I have a Notifications section,  with that 'Collect Documents' option ticked at the bottom.  I killed it,  though I haven't been getting any prompts to save images lately - even though I took a picture that had text in it text today.  Very odd.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Dave-in-Decatur, thanks for the heads up about the COLLECT DOCUMENTS settings. I didn't know it was there. I will turn on notifications, and give EN permission for the camera again and hope it works. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hello 

Every time I take a picture with my phone, evernote saves it. How can I remove that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Same issue. Very annoying.

Support has this answer which is irrelevant to android.  The "save snapshots" setting is non existent in the android app.

"By default, Evernote for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch saves copies of photos you take to your device's Camera Roll. To turn this feature off, go to the 'Account' tab, select Settings > Camera, then disable "Save Snapshots"."

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Does that only kill notifications? Or does it stop evernote from saving photos. It looks to me like they added this to the android app without adding a setting to prevent it from saving photos.

In support, there's a way to turn it off but it only works on the iPhone. 

"By default, Evernote for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch saves copies of photos you take to your device's Camera Roll. To turn this feature off, go to the 'Account' tab, select Settings > Camera, then disable "Save Snapshots"."

Unfortunate there's no "save snapshots" setting in my android app.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

The iPod settings would correspond to the Android Settings > Camera "Save to photo gallery" option. This controls whether photos taken within Evernote are also saved to an album in Gallery on the phone. Is that the issue you all are talking about, @Martincas and @funkygrrl?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 5/4/2018 at 3:50 PM, funkygrrl said:

Does that only kill notifications? Or does it stop evernote from saving photos. It looks to me like they added this to the android app without adding a setting to prevent it from saving photos.

In support, there's a way to turn it off but it only works on the iPhone. 

"By default, Evernote for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch saves copies of photos you take to your device's Camera Roll. To turn this feature off, go to the 'Account' tab, select Settings > Camera, then disable "Save Snapshots"."

Unfortunate there's no "save snapshots" setting in my android app.

 

I've responded to this on the other thread.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/8/2018 at 9:22 AM, geralex1958@gmail.com said:

Does anyone have a suggestion for Android users,  as to 'turn off camera" or other, which disables photos from being uploaded to Evernote??

See my post in this thread. Basically, look for the COLLECT DOCUMENTS setting in the Notifications section of Settings. I found that it was checked by default, so I unchecked it. Voilà! This should do what you want, assuming that I understand you correctly (which I may not).

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

The other thread had an unsatisfactory answer and redirected me here.

I just went into Android's app manager and rescinded permission to access my phone's camera. So far, so good, but sometimes evernote's attempts to upload my photos was delayed, so we shall see whether it actually worked. I love evernote, but if I cannot eliminate this intrusive feature, it might be time to look elsewhere for a similar service.

I was not satisfied with the suggestion to uncheck the "collect documents" notification, because rather than ensuring evernote would stay out of my photos, it only ensured I wouldn't be told about it. That's worse IMO.

After all that Facebook is going through regarding privacy, it boggles my mind that the developers at evernote have so little concern for it. If I want evernote to have a photo, I'm intelligent enough to upload it all by myself.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, funkygrrl said:

I was not satisfied with the suggestion to uncheck the "collect documents" notification, because rather than ensuring evernote would stay out of my photos, it only ensured I wouldn't be told about it. That's worse IMO.

After all that Facebook is going through regarding privacy, it boggles my mind that the developers at evernote have so little concern for it. If I want evernote to have a photo, I'm intelligent enough to upload it all by myself.

I'm wondering what evidence you have that the Evernote app is going through your photos? I'm not finding any photos appearing in my notes that I haven't put there myself. And if Evernote is scanning for text in those photos (as opposed to every photo I take), that's what I want it to do, for the sake of indexing.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I have related issue - I make a note in evernote, attach the photo. Save. I go to share that photo from the gallery or Photos app (standard Android) and that that photo isn't there!  Why not?  Where has it gone?  

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Just wanted to pipe in and let you know that on my Android phone the Camera permission doesn't seem to make a difference. Even if Evernote doesn't have that permission, it notifies me shortly after a picture with text was collected. Probably the app doesn't actually access the camera and just retrieves the pic from the phone's storage.

Just setting notifications to off will not stop the actual background process as far as my understanding goes, so that's not a solution either. It looks like the only real option is to revert back to an older version. Anybody with a more elegant solution please do share.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I must say this Collect Photos feature was a decent idea, but badly implemented...

Like someone said before, if I wanted Evernote to register and OCR a photo to a note, I would have asked it to.

However, I'm fairly certain it's local on the device's storage, so there's no "Privacy violation" (Evernote had already been given access to phone storage for other features to work).

It's only quite annoying, specially because one must deny each request individually when, like I said before, had I wanted something to end up on Evernote, I'd have activated the app... Feature activation and confirmation could really improve to be less bothersome.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

This seems to be strangely inconsistent. I've never gotten a request from the Evernote app to OCR a picture, nor do I see evidence in my notes that it is doing so without my permission. I doubt that it has to do with my settings, since those settings don't seem to work for everyone. The inconsistency seems similar to this thread:

It makes me wonder if this too (see @Shane D.'s post there) is some test project Evernote is doing.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Is there an up to date method to make sure this algorithm doesn't rub on my photos?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, rimboma said:

Is there an up to date method to make sure this algorithm doesn't rub on my photos?

Are you getting requests to review your pictures for addition to Evernote?  I've not had one for months - I must've got the settings right on my phone and tablet,  or the app has given up checking...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
11 hours ago, gazumped said:

Are you getting requests to review your pictures for addition to Evernote?  I've not had one for months - I must've got the settings right on my phone and tablet,  or the app has given up checking...

I got an option to turn the feature on. I misclicked, the notification is gone and the state of the feature is unknown :)

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
13 hours ago, rimboma said:

I got an option to turn the feature on. I misclicked, the notification is gone and the state of the feature is unknown :)

Hmmn.  Don't know how to get back to the option.  You'll find out soon enough if it is enabled...

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...