Sort tasks manually

Hi,

I can't believe this function is not available yet! This is the first function I need. I have a lot of tasks and I want to put te most important ones on  top.

Google keep has this function only in the notes list not in the labels.

Why is this so hard to implent????

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Note pinning is awailable in the Reminders and Shortcuts section, and in the new Spaces feature

>>I have a lot of tasks and I want to put the most important ones on top.

There are work-arounds to achieve this 

1. Reminders/Shortcut sections
  2. Assigning priority with tags and using Tag sort; for example tag:!Important-Tag
  3. Assigning priority with title prefix and sorting by Title; for example title:!Important-Note

Its a different discussion but you might want to investigate solutions for task management.
There are better methods than "put the most important ones on top"

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, JW9 said:

I can't believe this function is not available yet! This is the first function I need. I have a lot of tasks and I want to put te most important ones on  top.

In the Windows client, you can add a reminder to a note, and in several of the note views (Snippet, Thumbnail, Card), a separate reminder list will appear at the top of the note view. The reminder list can be sorted manually. Open up the reminder list, click on the settings button at the top right, and uncheck the "Sort reminders by date" item. You can then drag reminders up and down the list.

6 hours ago, JW9 said:

Evernote does things that Google Keep does not. *shrug*

7 hours ago, JW9 said:

Hi,

Why is this so hard to implent????

Are you trying to sort tasks (check boxes) within a note? Or each note is an individual task and you want to put the "notes" on top.

If you are trying to sort notes, there are ways like @DTLow suggested. 

However, if you are trying to sort tasks within notes (as some others here requested as features before), there is really not a workaround for that.

Although many uses Evernote as a task management tool, I started to get more benefit out of it when I started using a dedicated task management app in conjunction with Evernote. So it works for me, but everybody is different and tweaks their personal management to their liking (or what works for them naturally)

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

Are you trying to sort tasks (check boxes) within a note? Or each note is an individual task and you want to put the "notes" on top.

Good distinction -- I typically have one note per task because reminders work well with that usage, so I often forget that many-tasks-per-note case. But within a note, you can move todo items up and down at your leisure, so it would seem that that case is covered for @JW9 as well, since they explicitly mention sorting tasks manually.

• 8 months later...

1.I am surprised Evernote Marketing have not figured out that if they allowed manual sorting within a note book i.e dragging they would basically make Ulysses redundant same with Scrivener for anyone doing long form writing. i.e if I have scenes in a novel within Ulysses I can just drag them around to the sequence I want- within Evernote this is not possible if it was many writers would use Evernote exclusively-. I guess Evernote are happy to leave a lot of money on the table......

2. When if ever will the merge facility be available for Evernote iPhone/ipad? Apple are pushing the iPad Pro as a Laptop replacement but Evernote on iPad can not perform the functions that Evernote Mac can.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, rob24hrs said:

basically make Ulysses redundant same with Scrivener

These are fine writing apps and I don't see a connection with tasks or with Evernote; and no objective to make them redundant.

6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

These are fine writing apps and I don't see a connection with Evernote; and certainly no objective to make them redundant.

It is known as marketing......given the re structuring within Evernote they may not wish to make them redundant but I bet they would love it if the subscriptions currently flowing to Ulysses came to them......😈

Irrespective of the marketing implications, some of us who have used EN since almost day one have been asking for years for manual sorting within a note book to be an option- can't be that difficult to implement.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, rob24hrs said:

can't be that difficult to implement.

The technology is straightforward.  Evernote has already implemented manual sequence in the reminders and shortcut sections.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

The technology is straightforward.  Evernote has already implemented manual note sequence in the reminders and shortcut sections.

Exactly- so why not within a notebook? And why has the request been ignored for years- and obviously irritates some?

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, rob24hrs said:

Exactly- so why not within a notebook? And why has the request been ignored for years- and obviously irritates some?

It's called running a company, which entails balancing priorities among: your vision for the product you're making, your resources, and the potential market. There are many features that some subset of customers want, and not enough resources to do them all. Sorry that you feel ignored and irritated, but that's the way that it works sometimes. Fortunately for you, as a consumer, you have the power to choose among competing products, of which there are many. Oh, and remember that "ignored" is not synonymous with "implemented"; the request is mostl likely not being ignored, but is noted as a -- tada! -- feature request.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, jefito said:

Fortunately for you, as a consumer, you have the power to choose among competing products, of which there are many. Oh, and remember that "ignored" is not synonymous with "implemented"; the request is mostl likely not being ignored, but is noted as a -- tada! -- feature request.

Thanks for marketing 101- "noted" for several years does not bode well. It is perhaps significant that other developers actually listen too their customers- the rest slowly inevitably loose them.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to Evernote and I need to sort my notes manually, too. I guess it just can't be done without a lot of painful workarounds. I'll have to look elsewhere. I was thinking this would be a basic functionality of the so-called premier note program that E.V. is supposed to be. This lack surprises me, plus the fact that I can't change the background color of notes. Too bad. E.V. has all the crazy cool integration stuff but is missing some basic elements. Go figure 😕

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, rob24hrs said:

Guess this is never going to happen. Anyone found a viable alternative?

Work-arounds

• 4 years later...

If your tasks are in a note, you can sort them manually from the desktop or web app. You can also set a default note to collect your tasks you do not add to a specific note. Once in the note, you can sort manually, but ONLY on desktop, at least from my experience. I am on a macbook pro and can sort FROM THE NOTE ITSELF (not the task list), but then trying the same on my Apple SE with no luck. Any ideas on how to do the manual sort of tasks in the note while using a mobile device?