Can I limit a search to a particular stack?

Not an experienced user.... trying to see if I can separate an archive notebook for outdated stuff that I don't yet want to delete but don't want to have show up in all searches. And then use search just on a stack of "active" notebooks. I have not been able to do it... but maybe I'm just missing the how-to.

@Orsonk99 You can do this. It's not really exposed in the UI (or even the search grammar page :( ... working on fixing that), but you can add something like this to a search:

stack:"My full stack name"

It doesn't work unless it's exactly the name of the stack.

An alternative approach to doing what you want that might leave you some more flexibility in the future is to tag all notes you want to archive, and then exclude the tag in your search-- like "-tag:archived". Tagging can be done in bulk by selecting all of them in the list and then adding the tags in the right panel (exactly how this looks may depend on the client).

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, rezecib said:

working on fixing that

Bravo! Could never tell whether that was officially supported across all clients, or was just a Windows thing. Thanks.

And after that you can get to work on "-stack:" and "-notebook:" ...

:) 

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Orsonk99 said:

Not an experienced user.... trying to see if I can separate an archive notebook for outdated stuff that I don't yet want to delete but don't want to have show up in all searches. And then use search just on a stack of "active" notebooks. I have not been able to do it... but maybe I'm just missing the how-to.

You can also click on the Note context drop down in the search information area to select the stack.

ScreenClip.png.e421be2edb515b89e959e9db6ea26855.png

Archived