Sign in to follow this  
Philippe Petit @ Versaille

Request for improvements : AND, OR and XOR implementation in search syntax

Idea

Hello there,

I am a French newby to Evernote. 

The reason I have pruchased the Evernote Premium version was to implement a all-in-one GTD service using The Secret Weapon and After The book tag centric Approaches.

Mostly, I wanted to take advantage of the powerful complex search features offerd by evernote.

After having exchanged a few emails with the support team, it seems that the search feature does not allow for searching in multiple notebooks.

For instance, the syntax notebook:"NB1" notebook:"NB2" tag:"t1" tag:"t2" returns notes contained ONLY in notebook NB1 and bearing tags t1 AND t2

What if you want to determine the exact scope of your search in terms of notebooks ? Woul'nt it be great th have the ability to use boolean operators such as AND, OR, XOR to implement more more refined searches, both in terms of notebooks and tags ?

Equally, It seems that the search syntax requires the use of quotes " to work properly, although this is not well documented.

Finally, is the search feature case sensitive or insensitive ?

Thanks for all your comments and feedback.

Phil.

7 replies to this idea

Sure; this has been requested already: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/50625-full-boolean-search/#comment-497468. You should follow the link  and add your vote.

The Evernote search language is described pretty fully here: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php. There are some difference among the different OS Evernote clients, but otherwise it's pretty standard.

Finally, is the search feature case sensitive or insensitive ?

Generally it's case insensitive.

On 2018-03-25 at 7:34 AM, Philippe Petit @ Versaille said:

Mostly, I wanted to take advantage of the powerful complex search features offerd by evernote.

The search feature is documented at   Evernote Search Grammar

>>does not allow for searching in multiple notebooks

Confirmed.  One way to get around this is to have the notebooks in a stack and search    stack:aaaaa

An alternative is to use tags instead of notebooks.  Multiple tags are allowed in a search.

Ok, 

So I have the GTD/Secret weapon set up in Evernote.  I want to view just the tags in context so I can actually just start the flow . . . seeing only what is relevant.  It seems the search will only let me view 1 tag at a time.  

This kind of defeats the purpose.  How do I search using more than 1 tag.  I used this system a couple of years ago and I remember being able to do this easily.  Do I have to upgrade or something?

Example of what I want to view: "@Office" and "2-Next Action".

On 4/29/2018 at 9:45 AM, Jam0073 said:

So I have the GTD/Secret weapon set up in Evernote.  I want to view just the tags in context so I can actually just start the flow . . . seeing only what is relevant.  It seems the search will only let me view 1 tag at a time.

I don't know what GTD/Secret Weapon is. You can certainly search on two tags at a time.

This kind of defeats the purpose.  How do I search using more than 1 tag.  I used this system a couple of years ago and I remember being able to do this easily.  Do I have to upgrade or something?

Nope.

Example of what I want to view: "@Office" and "2-Next Action".

If you want to find notes that have both tags '@Office' and '2-Next Action', you would use a search like: tag:@Office tag:"2-Next Action"

Depending on your Evernote client (Windows, Mac, Android, Mac, web), you should be able to construct this search, but you can always type it in by hand as well.

Is there a better way than learning Evernote's search criteria?  That seems a little old school.  Or like typing in computer code.  Is there not an easier way, like pulling up the tags and clicking on two of them?

Whenever I just use the search to click on a tag it only lets me pick 1 tag.

This may seem picky but I'm looking for ease of use.  So I can grab my phone when I'm at the office and click on these 2 criteria and then get going.  Not sit down and figure out if I need to use quotes and dashes and @ symbols, etc.  

??

I am sensing this is a problem with other people using this method.

26 minutes ago, Jam0073 said:

s there a better way than learning Evernote's search criteria?

It depends on the platform.
- IOS has a tag-picker list; just check the tags you wish included
- Mac has a search builder

Evernote has an excellent search feature
Learning the syntax allows you to use it fully
Also, make use of the save-search feature so you only need the syntax the first time

IMG_2231.thumb.jpg.c0e42d337300bc9b60086cf700a45b5f.jpg5ae88bbc36758_ScreenShot2018-05-01at08_44_08.png.297ea22aab341ba5271eaba6cf0f60ac.png

Ugh, its because I was using the web version!  I downloaded the app onto my desktop and now it is simple to do a multi tag search.

• Like 1