Distraction-Free Writing...

anthonyr

Idea

I've been waiting for Evernote to add this feature for years. This is what I would love:

1. A button within the note that enables full-screen mode. This mode removes EVERYTHING except the words. Moving your mouse will make editing tools visible.

2. Full-Screen Mode also has margin and line-height functionality.

That's it!

Please Evernote! Please make this change to our desktop app!

• Like 1

24 replies to this idea

Bear has the perfect "Distraction-Free Writing". Check out Bear's full-screen interface vs. Evernote's. This is something obvious. Almost anything made for writing or reading has margins and a clean interface.

I feel like Evernote started years ago ahead of the curve. And now the interface seems like it's taking a backseat to innovation.

Please Evernote team! I've been waiting for this easy change for years! I hate having to use two different apps for writing. I would love for Evernote to be my main writing center!

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 2.45.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 2.48.11 PM.png

Just found the Evernote plug-in App Alternote.  I am in my 3-day trial but so far looks pretty good.  Main downside is that the notes are sync-ed between Evernote and Alternote so its a whole other app.  Overall seems pretty seamless though.  Worth checking out.  $6.99 after trial.  They said their iOS app would be released back in April 2016 but that hasn't happened 2.5 years later, their social channels have been quiet for years 🙄

Edited by Balki
added context that might be helpful

It sure is a good start! But no, it's definitely not a perfect writing environment. I'm going to guess that you don't use Evernote primarily for writing long articles/books/etc? What other things like tasks and clippings do you use for Evernote?

If you open the note you are working on, then open that note in a new window and switch that window to full screen, you get pretty close to what you're asking for.

• Level 5*
On 3/26/2018 at 4:02 AM, anthonyr said:

I'm going to guess that you don't use Evernote primarily for writing long articles/books/etc?

I was wondering about that.
I use the Evernote editor for basic notes, but it certainly isn't my main writing tool.

We (office) mostly use MS-Word/Apple-Pages, stored in Evernote as a note attachment.
I would think serious writers use apps like Scrivner or Ulysses.

On 5/19/2018 at 10:00 AM, HRM said:

If you open the note you are working on, then open that note in a new window and switch that window to full screen, you get pretty close to what you're asking for.

I know. But it's still ugly enough to not be a distraction-free workspace. There are no margins on the document, and the writing tools don't disappear when typing.

On 5/19/2018 at 10:20 AM, DTLow said:

I was wondering about that.
I use the Evernote editor for basic notes, but it certainly isn't my main writing tool.

We (office) mostly use Word/Pages, stored in Evernote as a note attachment.
I would think serious writers are using apps like Scrivner or Ulysses.

I don't need those big apps to draft articles. If I could just get the simple tools of margins and disappearing toolbar, then I'd be so happy. Evernote just isn't interested in jumping in that market because that's not where the money is. Money is in business features.

• Level 5*
On 5/20/2018 at 8:04 AM, anthonyr said:

I don't need those big apps to draft articles.

That's valid.  I don't always use the heavyweight apps.

There are many available editors; I use whatever gets the job done and meets my requirements.

Hi anthonyr  we are exploring reduced prominence of the entry points of lesser used features, some of which are currently in the note editor window. It may provide an experience closer to what you are looking for.

Margins are not part of that exploration, but I have seen the ask elsewhere, so it will be considered in the future. 

I totally agree on this request. It's what keeps me from moving everything to Evernote right now. I'm currently using iA Writer and their fantastic Focus Mode and Night Mode. Can't beat it, but I wish it integrated with Evernote.

So here's to distraction-free writing! ?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, AndyDay said:

Don't hold your breath.

Instead, users can indicate their support for this request using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.

I completely agree and seems like such a logical request to have a simple full-screen feature with margins and basic type controls. Without it, Evernote is practically unusable for serious or long-term writing because staring at giant rows is way too uncomfortable to read and write in and anything other than the content you're trying to work on is a distraction.

I'm forced to use a different app when I want to really focus. But even during regular day to day note-taking, Evernote would have a nicer interface if the amount of whitespace in the margins could be set to give better breathing room and visual focus onto content.

I'm going to give FocusWriter a shot and there seem to be a handful of free or donation based ones that are similar and have focus mode as the central concept. It's a drag though that Evernote can't provide something like this. 

Yes, this is high priority for our students as well. We have Evernote premium accounts for our writing classes of hundreds of students and have been trialing the transition in a few classrooms to alternative writing software such as Focused to eliminate distractions while our students write. We have considered something like this: https://setapp.com/how-to/how-to-write-distraction-free

It would be very similar to Evernote's "Presentation" mode that ALLOWED text editing (writing). Our students continue to press the "Presentation" mode and attempt to type; frustration ensues when they realize they cannot type in "Presentation" mode. 

@Evernote, could you please add a text edit feature into Presentation mode or alternatively add a "Distraction Free" writing mode? This way we would not have to transition our classes to alternative software. 

Thanks for your consideration. 

Howie

It's not hard to understand. A pure blank screen, where only words exist. Not even a little circle or X in a corner to give away the illusion. Perfect, complete visual silence, peace and tranquility. Perhaps holding down the expand/collapse sidebar button already present could bring up the option. This is our dream, Evernote! Is that so wrong?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, KentTsang said:

This is our dream, Evernote! Is that so wrong?

No, it's not wrong   
However this request only has 17 user votes

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

However this request only has 17 user votes

Haha, still above the median for the first page of this forum. Is this the right place to discuss beta program feedback and suggestions for the new Evernote?

2 hours ago, anthonyr said:

I'm a Notion user now. 

That looks awesome; I'll try it.

• Level 5

EN has dark mode, at least if you are not still on 6.25 Windows legacy.

Personally I think that the EN writing environment is pretty lean, compared to most other programs. Remember, it is made for note taking, so a minimum of controls are needed to this end.

If one wants a completely empty writing environment, there are sufficient alternatives - some are listed here. I am absolutely no fan of the thinking each software needs to mimic each others abilities. If one wants not the least "clutter" while getting his thoughts typed, then pick a software that supports it.

• Level 5

This thread is about the old Mac client, not the web client of the new version. Don’t drop the same posting randomly into not matching forum posts.

If you have something to say, and don’t find a matching thread, start a new one ( 1 will do ).