Particular notes freezing

Using Evernote on an iPad and an iPhone, recently have had a strange issue: particular notes appear in a given notebook, but fail to load and freeze the app and require a force quit. I can't find any sort of pattern to this; some notes I created and worked on as recently as yesterday, others are several weeks old (there are at least 6 notes that I have found that are failing to load and causing a crash, I don't really want to keep look although I suspect there are more). However, on both my phone and tablet, it is the same notes that cause the problem. Furthermore, one of the notebooks where some of these problem-notes are located had previously been downloaded and was available offline, but even when I turn off wifi the same freeze occurs. 

I have tried to clear the cache, uninstall the app, and restart my devices, to no avail. 

Hello,

Certain notes have been causing the Evernote iPhone app to freeze. The most concise note I could craft that reproduces the problem is the following:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s228/sh/7f389453-07a5-4656-b198-e0dff1813116/cb6715a9438774ad

When I open this in the app, it hangs and I must force quit. If I remove the indentation it fixes the problem.

I am running the latest Evernote app updated (March 18, 2018). On an iPhone SE, iOS 11.2.6

Thanks,

Rory

Hmmm, the problem for me though is that the notes don't load any text at all. On the sidebar they show a little preview, but when I click the note I only get the title bar. The text never loads (so there is not way to change the formatting). 

Unfortunately, I've also discovered that it makes several notebooks unusable if the problem-note is the first note in the list, since Evernote automatically opens it which results in a freeze. 

Yes, I am experiencing the same thing. When I try to view this note in iOS, it simply shows me a blank white screen, loads nothing, and completely freezes the app. I have to view the note in the desktop client or on the web, and then I am able to view and edit.

OK excellent, thats a workaround. Reformatted via the web client and the notes open again. Weird. Hope it gets fixed; I use just my tablet for months at a time when I'm away doing research, so I don't have easy access to the desktop/web version. Thanks!

Yeah, i'm having the same problem with my evernote after last update. At the first moment i thought it was because some notes have a lot of images in it. But i don't know what it's causing this. Gonna try this.

Best regards!

Edit: Actually it only happens when i try to add some pic to the note. I didn't try other media types.

Edit2: So after i try to put an image inside a note, it just "erase" everything in the note. So i close the note and sometimes Evernote freezes. But when it doens't, all notes appear in blank. So I force close app and then it's just normal. I'm just unable to add picture media to it.

I am having this problem.  First noticed it on Mar-24, 2018, but have been an issue for longer.  I have hundreds of notes with indents and all of them crash the Evernote app.  PLEASE HELP.  EVERNOTE, PLEASE FIX THIS BUG.   

Is there a ticketing system?

Same problem here. My iPad Pro (iOS 11.2.6) automatically updated to Evernote 8.10 yesterday. At first, I thought the app was totally broken. It showed thumbnails, but did not show the note content and the UI was totally unresponsive. Had to force close. 

Now I realize the problem happens because the latest note on the "most recent" list had indent formatting. Since EN automatically tried to open that note, the app froze, as noted above. If I go to another client (like web client or macOS) and edit a note without indent formatting, when I restart EN on my iPad everything is fine ... that is, until I try to open a note with indent formatting. At that point, EN freezes.

I have this same issue using iPad. Several of my notes freeze up the app on selection, so I cannot access many of my notes and have to close app, since it freezes everything.  I know the data is there, since if do a search, it finds the note that contains the data, but then cannot search/view and then it freezes again. This appears to have started with recent upgrade. Do we know when this will be fixed?  

I am having the same problem on my iPad.  A whole notebook just freezes.  I have been using my usual search word for a particular note and it finds the page but there is no content.  I became worried but luckily was able to carry out the task I wanted to do on my desktop computer.  

I use Evernote Basic on my iPad and MacBook. My last update of Evernote was on my iPad on Thurs 22March 2018. I’ve been using Evernote satisfactorily since Feb. 2012. 

Today I attempted several times to open a note in Evernote on my iPad that I have used and updated many times. When I tap on the heading and summary of the note it does NOT download the body of the note and it FREEZES the whole application. This problem only occurs on this one single note. The other notes I’ve tested (not the totality of my notes) worked normally. I want to add that this particular note had been edited recently and I have opened it at least a couple of times satisfactorily before this problem occurred. Please note that this problem does NOT occur on my MacBook.

As with the initial member post, my iPad version of Evernote freezes and no workaround unfreezes it.  This may be tied to a few of the notes, but once it freezes on one, I can't check for others.  

I can edit Evernote on my iMac and, strangely enough, on my iPhone.  Contrary to an earlier post, editing on the iMac does not correct the freeze problem on the iPad version 11.2.6.   Does anyone have a solution?  

On 3/26/2018 at 7:02 AM, Sherif Alaily said:

I use Evernote Basic on my iPad and MacBook. My last update of Evernote was on my iPad on Thurs 22March 2018. I’ve been using Evernote satisfactorily since Feb. 2012. 

Today I attempted several times to open a note in Evernote on my iPad that I have used and updated many times. When I tap on the heading and summary of the note it does NOT download the body of the note and it FREEZES the whole application. This problem only occurs on this one single note. The other notes I’ve tested (not the totality of my notes) worked normally. I want to add that this particular note had been edited recently and I have opened it at least a couple of times satisfactorily before this problem occurred. Please note that this problem does NOT occur on my MacBook.

Try opening the note on your MacBook and take away all indents.  This should make the note OK on your iPad.  I think you can even put the indents back and it'll be OK.  That's what I did (almost  by accident) and it worked.

I'm having the same problem on perhaps 10% of my notes.  I submitted a ticket to EN on Sunday, but have not heard back from them.  I have found that opening the note in the Mac app and using the "Simplify Formatting" feature will make it possible to open the problem notes on my iOS devices.  I really don’t want to give up special formatting like bold and color text, indentations, etc.  Nor do I want to go through each of my 2,424 notes to test them on my iOS devices and then simplify the formatting through the Mac app. 

I sure hope EN gets on top of this quickly.  I've been a paying customer for years, but if this can't be fixed, I'll have to look for an alternative. 

I'm having the same problem: ios 11.2.6, evernote 8.10.1.362115

On some notes, when selected, I get the spinning wheel of death forever, or until I exit and restart.

Removing indentation in the note resolves the problem. To quote the Car Talk guys "BOOOOOOGUS"

I'm also a premium customer, and I've loved Evernote for years, but this has gotta get fixed.

On 3/28/2018 at 1:34 PM, CranstonKahuna said:

I'm having the same problem: ios 11.2.6, evernote 8.10.1.362115

On some notes, when selected, I get the spinning wheel of death forever, or until I exit and restart.

Removing indentation in the note resolves the problem. To quote the Car Talk guys "BOOOOOOGUS"

I'm also a premium customer, and I've loved Evernote for years, but this has gotta get fixed.

If you're referring to my comment, please be more polite.  I may or may not be correct, but I contributed the best I could to the conversation based on my experience.  The term "bogus" is derogatory and implies my comment was deceptive and fake.    It was neither.  If you want to be impolite, don't expect help from others.  I'm out of here.

I'm experiencing the same issue on my iOS evernote app. I can use the web and mac desktop apps without issue. I've reloaded the iOS app a couple of times, and that had no effect--the non-loading notes and freezing still happens as described by others here. 

I'm having the same problem with Evernote on my iPad. It has become completely unusable. None of my most important or most used notes will open. I just get a blank note window and Evernote completely freezes. I too have uninstalled and reinstalled and restarted my iPad, all to no avail.

same here - the problem was a note copy&pasted from OneNote containing a checkmark-list. Only a checkmark-list, nothing else.

After converting to text-only the problem was gone - my checklist also...plain text now :-(

Same with me. Only one of my notes would cause the issue. EN Support told me they were aware of this issue and it was likely related to formatting and to remove formatting and it might fix it - it didn't!

It was a note I used on a regular basis, approximately once per week, with no elaborate formatting other than BIU and highlighted text.

13 minutes ago, macneilpi said:

Same with me. Only one of my notes would cause the issue. EN Support told me they were aware of this issue and it was likely related to formatting and to remove formatting and it might fix it - it didn't!

It was a note I used on a regular basis, approximately once per week, with no elaborate formatting other than BIU and highlighted text.

I've been tweeting back and forth with EV support, and they are simply repeating what is being said here... Indentation is an issue, and removing it seems to fix it for some. But almost all my notes use indentation! It's clearly a problem with the last version of the iOS app that hasn't been fixed yet.

I'm a yet another victim of the bug. I have several notes which rely heavily on indentation, which stopped opening in the iOS clients of Evernote (work everywhere else).

Before coming here I'd created a copy of one of the notes and removed all the formatting. Surely enough, it opened on iOS without any problems.

Unfortunately I need the indents - otherwise the notes would become nearly illegible and definitely unusable. Guess I'll have to move these to Apple Notes until the fix arrives.

Same problem here. Notes created on MacBookPro won't open on iPhone and the app freezes. Removing indentations would be a big hassle and lessen the usefulness of Evernote for me. 

This problem was reported here two weeks ago. I sure hope Evernote comes up with a fix soon. 

Wow, glad to see it’s not just me. I’m having the exact same problem. I really like the format features and would hate to be able to not use them anymore.

Hoping for a fix ASAP for this. It seems crucial for a lot of people.

This same issue is driving me nuts!  

Do I just delete the notebook on my MAC (which by the way all notes are same format I used in another notebook last month without issue) and then resync?  Notes in current workbook in ipad contain formatting, indents, and checkboxes. I am traveling later in the week and iPad on a plane is much nicer than bringing the laptop!

On 3/23/2018 at 10:45 AM, Paul awk said:

OK excellent, thats a workaround. Reformatted via the web client and the notes open again. Weird. Hope it gets fixed; I use just my tablet for months at a time when I'm away doing research, so I don't have easy access to the desktop/web version. Thanks!

Have you tried going to the web client on your ipad lately? I just tried it and looks like the site is mobile optimized - at least on my end. 

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

Have you tried going to the web client on your ipad lately? I just tried it and looks like the site is mobile optimized - at least on my end. 

My experience is the Evernote site is not mobile optimized, and login directs me to the  mobile app.

To switch to the desktop site, hold down the refresh icon;  the curved arrow at the side of the address box.  Warning; working on a small screen is not a great experience.

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

My experience is the Evernote site is not mobile optimized, and login directs me to the  mobile app.

To switch to the desktop site, hold down the refresh icon;  the curved arrow at the side of the address box.  Warning; working on a small screen is not a great experience.

@DTLow You are correct sir. Cleared my cache and had to do the request desktop site. My bad. At least I know that it saved my preference from a while back before the clearning of all that stuff. I was all excited there for a moment.

On 3/27/2018 at 7:25 PM, NDimmick said:

I'm having the same problem on perhaps 10% of my notes.  I submitted a ticket to EN on Sunday, but have not heard back from them.  I have found that opening the note in the Mac app and using the "Simplify Formatting" feature will make it possible to open the problem notes on my iOS devices.  I really don’t want to give up special formatting like bold and color text, indentations, etc.  Nor do I want to go through each of my 2,424 notes to test them on my iOS devices and then simplify the formatting through the Mac app. 

I sure hope EN gets on top of this quickly.  I've been a paying customer for years, but if this can't be fixed, I'll have to look for an alternative. 

Similarly as you, I am also quite disappointed right now and will need to look for alternatives if this does not get addressed soon.

In the meantime I found a "fix" that works for me:

When I go edit an affected note with the macOS client by simply removing and adding the last indentation it makes the note accessible again via the iOS apps.

I'm glad I found this page to realize it's not just me.  Whenever I open the app it completely locks up.  I also have it set for password protection and it doesn't even get far enough into the load to ask me for my passcode.  If the issue is the indents, I need and use the indents extensivelly also.  Please fix this!  Thanks!

My app seems to be working today - all of a sudden!!!

I STILL have notes that if I click on them (because there are indents), it freezes the app up and a force quit is required. But I think what I did:

- Created several new notes without indentation in the app on my Mac

This caused new notes to be on top when the iOS app synced

If I clicked on old notes (I identified three that caused constant crashing), it still crashed app.

So I copied those notes and created a new note and pasted them in (with indentation formatting intact), then deleted the old notes

The "new" notes didn't crash the app!

I will post again if all is well in a day or two.

If, in the meantime, yours is still not working, I recommend the Notability app. I'm still toying with idea of using it. My faith in Evernote is greatly depleted.

I'm still having the problem on all my iOS devices - ipad pro and iphone 6.  I can see the snippet of the content when I scroll through the list of notes but when I try to open the particular note, a blank page comes up with only the title of the note showing and the little Apple wheel going around as if something is loading but actually the app is frozen and will not allow anything else.  Come on Evernote.  This has been a problem for a long time.  A critical problem.

I am having the same problem. It is only after I have edited a note on my desKtop and placed in my inbox that I can even access the note on either my iPhone or my iPad. I’m sure Evernote recognizes this goes to the CORE FUNCTIONALITY of their app. A solution should already have been in an update, in my opinion. 

FINALLY!

8.11.1 released yesterday fixes the problem of freezing Evernote app on iPad whenever attempting to open a note formatted with indents. Why did it take a month to fix this? Given the number of complaints on this thread, would’ve been nice if EN had at least acknowledged the bug.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Quixotic said:

Where’s the update?  None available on my iPad.

I accessed the Apple IOS App Store, searched Evernote, and selected upgrade.

Archived