How to Archive old notebooks that are seldom used

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, dewetsnyders said:

Is there a way to archive old notebooks? Preferably they should still be searchable.

Evernote has no specific Archive features.

Do you have a reason for archiving?  I usually just prefix the name with x or Ω so it sorts to the bottom of the list.

I also use a tag:Archive on notes so I can chose to exclude them from searches.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, dewetsnyders said:

Is there a way to archive old notebooks? Preferably they should still be searchable.

Short answer:  No.

But, by proper use of Notebooks and/or Stacks, or Tags you can achieve this. 

Probably the simplest is to assign a tag of "Archive" to every Note you want archived.  Then in the Search box, use "-tag:archive" to remove them from view.

My approach is notebooks/stacks since I use very few Notebooks:

• ACTIVE_STACK
    • Active
    • INBOX
    • InWork
    • OL_Mobile
    • (several shared NBs)
  • Archive (just a NB with no stack)

Most of my Notes end up in the "Active" NB.  So all I have to do is click on that NB.  I can click on ACTIVE_STACK, which is a Stack, to see all active (non-archive) Notes.

Once a year, I do a search, and move all Notes in the Active NB whose Date Updated is more than 3 years ago to the Archive NB.

But I have to say that most of the time I'm in the "All Notes" mode, and it really does not bother me (or slow things down) that it includes very old Notes that are in the Archive NB.  I usually keep the note list sorted by Date Updated Descending, so the most recent stuff is on top.

HTH.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 3/21/2018 at 1:58 AM, dewetsnyders said:

You can create a basic account and move the notebooks there if you like,  timing a function of notebook size.  If you want to search the archive you can either share with your main account  (I don't) or log into the archive account.  Works well for use cases where you don't need to search the archive concurrent with active.  Easy enough access by signing into both users on the desktop (opens a second window for me).  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.1a7d1181263331e2f074e473bc57d69a.png

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

It looks like the actual requirement has not been expressed properly.

The real problem is that the list of stacks and notebooks can become cluttered with items that are not used frequently. Most of us would just like to reduce the size of the list without changing any tags or structures.

A simple solution would be an option to tick any item in the list so that it is not displayed unless (a) a search reveals a note within the notebook/stack or (b) the option to "reveal all" is selected. 

• Like 7