what is the biggest evernote alternatives?

alwayzambitious

• Level 5*

What features are important to you?  

I haven't found another product that offers the same features I use in Evernote.
I use  Evernote as a digital filing cabinet.  Important features for me are Tags, search, sharing, ...
I find the Evernote editor useful for basic notes but it's not a replacement for a dedicated word processing app.

Evernote works for me and it is the central app for all my digital tools. Even if I have a mind map created in xMind, there would be either a link in Evernote to that file. Therefore, I would go to Evernote first to get to that information since I would make comments about it within Evernote. 

There are always alternates and I stopped searching for the best/perfect after a while as you are never vested with one app and it kind of hinders your progress on the longer haul. That does not mean, one should not keep looking to improve but to me I realized that there would be something out there that would have a better feature, or look or have something I like a little bit better. If I keep switching every time I find that, I would be screwed with the amount of apps that are coming out all the time.

Nonetheless, to answer your post, I would not know who is leading (which is a hard thing to measure IMO) but there were discussions here about Nimbus which looked very similar to Evernote unlike OneNote does. Check that out for an opinion.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, TK0047 said:

There are always alternates and I stopped searching for the best/perfect after a while as you are never vested with one app and it kind of hinders your progress on the longer haul. That does not mean, one should not keep looking to improve but to me I realized that there would be something out there that would have a better feature, or look or have something I like a little bit better. If I keep switching every time I find that, I would be screwed with the amount of apps that are coming out all the time.

Displayed graphically.  ;)

perfect-is-the-enemy-of-good-how-imperfection-can-drive-innovation-5-638.jpg.45eb3f8b21fbecb4848f4bde9098a89d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, evernotehard said:

different softwares for diff needs

need something for --

Please don't cross-post.  I responded in you original post.

Alwayz, I have spent a lot of time researching this over the last couple of years. Looked at as many as 50 products which someone noted as an alternative. Unfortunately, many sites seem to think Evernote is a "note taking app," and if the comparison stops there, I don't think it much matters.

At any rate, IMO, OneNote and Nimbus are the only two real contenders for what I use EN for and Nimbus is definitely the closest. I really don't mind that OneNote is different, but the integration with OneDrive is clunky at best.

Having said that, I am still hanging onto EN. About when I was ready to take the leap, they came out with an update that, at least, made it tolerable.

But, I am still looking and also hedging my bets with the other two, using IFTTT apps to keep a lot of data synced. I would prefer to keep using EN, as I have a lot of time and effort invested in it and mostly, it works. I am worried about the future and the direction of the company. I haven't been happy with changes in the last couple of years, and all effort and 'improvements' seem to be going toward the Business model. I am hoping for the best but planning for the worst. The writing on the wall gets erased every few months, but since the first announcement that EN is going away, they haven't done a lot to instill confidence. At least not the sort of confidence I want to solely place my 15K documents in.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, dbvirago said:

many sites seem to think Evernote is a "note taking app,"

Many users evaluate Evernote as a "note taking app", and even as a word processing app.
Evernote doesn't rate well in these evaluations.

For myself, I've always had access to editor apps; I use Word/Pages for word processing, Excel/Numbers for spreadsheets, ...

I value the Evernote editor for retrieving and displaying the note container file (content.enml) and basic edit functions.

>>I am still hanging onto EN.

Likewise.  Evernote is the tool I use for storing and managing my 12k notes; my digital filing cabinet.
Its working well for me in a minimal invasive way.

My planning for the worse is that I will simply export my data in html format and walk away.
My notes will be viewable with any web browser.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2018 at 3:02 AM, Atif_Shahab_Qureshi said:

There are many alternatives available. Actually, it depends upon your team size and organizational needs. For startups productivity management and team collaboration, i recommend TaskQue. Its a free tool for upto 10 users. It helps project managers to visualize team and project performance. 

I had not seen TaskQue before, thanks for sharing, looks like a promising team task management app. As you have indicated, it is more a team collaboration app.

It is also claiming to be a "Task management software" therefore I wouldn't put it agains Evernote. Although, Evernote is pushing for team collaboration with Spaces, Business Accounts and note sharing, I don't think they are claiming to be a Task management tool at this time.

Still a note taking tool predominately.

1064903483_Screenshot2018-05-2921_54_23.png.ce396777c3f239fad46bd3a6e8dca44d.png

Archived