Shortcut widget doesn't work if Evernote isnt open in background.

I have a Pixel 2 running Android 8.1.0 and Evernote 7.17.1.

I have put a widget on my homescreen which shows my shortcuts. The idea is I can click at any time onto a shortcut link and go to that note. The problem is that when I tap on the link most of the time, nothing happens. If I tap on the settings cog or hit a button to create a new note then Evernote will open and perform the action. Only after I have done this will the shortcut links work again back on the homescreen. It appears the buttons only work if Evernote is open in the background. This is annoying since it defeats the purpose of having a widget with fast direct access to a shortcut or note. Can anyone else see this behaviour?

Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

No, switching the widget to 'Recently Viewed' has the same result. If evernote hasn't been opened in a while (or I force close it) then I cannot click on the shortcuts.

• Level 5

Hmm, I just tried force-closing Evernote and then clicking on a "Recently viewed" widget, and notes opened as they should (after a very brief delay). You might try the brute-force method: be sure to sync Evernote, be sure you don't have any offline notes (which won't sync and could be lost), then uninstall the app and reinstall it. You'll probably want to remove the widgets and re-add them too.

Yeh, I've already done this. Synced notes, removed app cache and data, removed widgets,  uninstalled, restarted, reinstalled, added widgets again - same issue. It's very strange.

• Level 5

Very strange indeed. I'm at the end of my suggestions. One more question, though: have these Evernote widgets ever worked for you, e.g., on an earlier device, Android version, EN version, etc.? If so, it might be possible to figure out better what might be causing the problem. If not, it would be time to have a go at Evernote support, if it's available to you: https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action.

Ok so I have discovered what the issue is:

It relates to the Android Battery Optimisation settings on the Pixel 2. If I switch off battery optimisation for Evernote then the widget operates correctly, even if I force quit the app, the shortcuts work and will open the app again. 

This is clearly a bug, since (with battery optimisation on and app completely closed) you can still open Evernote with the New Note buttons, you just cannot access a shortcut. I don't know if the Battery Optimisation settings are unique to the Pixel 2 since it's my first android device. Are these options on your device Dave?

Cheers.

• Level 5

I think it might be related to what is called "App power monitor" on my Samsung Note 8 running Android 7. Under "App power monitor," there is first a checklist of apps that can be stopped from draining the battery when not in use by tapping Fix Now. I make sure that Evernote is not checked in that list. Then near the bottom is a setting for "Unmonitored apps," which the App power monitor will not prevent from using as much power as they want. I make sure that Evernote is included in that list.

I had a problem with a Calendar app that was solved by keeping it from being power monitored. I'm not sure it's a bug so much as the particular things that the battery optimizer/power monitor does and does not switch off. I'm glad you found it!

• Level 5

FWIW, my Note 8 has updated to Android 8 Oreo, and notes open properly from the Widget. This is true even though I had not yet added Evernote to Device Maintenance > Battery > Unmonitored apps! So I don't know what. Battery monitoring was identified as the problem in this other thread also:

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5

Again FWIW, I had started having this problem recently too, without having changed any battery-related app settings. I just updated to Evernote v. 8.0, and I deleted the widget and reinstated it, and it seems to be working correctly. However, if there's a problem it could be intermittent and take a bit to show up. At any rate, updating to v. 8.0 may help.

Archived