James D

Better Template Support

Idea

I have a number of template checklists for various things like packing lists.

The issue I hit is forgetting to make a copy of a template before using it. Then I end up with everything in the list checked off, realize my mistake, need to copy the note, and then uncheck everything.

It would be great to be set a checkbox on a note to indicate it is a template. There could be an prominent indication in the UI when you view that note that it is a template, maybe even a 'Copy Template' button, so it is obvious you are looking at a template, and it is harder to forget to copy it first.

Possibly, if you tried to edit a note marked as a template, you might get an alert that said something like: "You are trying to edit a template. Would you like to make a copy or edit the template?" with buttons to make a copy or edit.

A similar effect could be achieved by being able to set a note to be read-only. But making a copy of the note, the copy would be writable. That would prevent accidentally editing a template, and allow easy use of the template once it was copied.

4 replies to this idea

In the meantime if using Windows, you can drag the template note to the desktop and create a shortcut which when double clicked will add a new template note to your default notebook.  If you have a bunch of templates you can put them in a folder on the desktop. FWIW. 

I added my vote.  Evernote could do more to enhance the template experience.

The desktop template export mentioned by @CalS also works on a Mac.  5aad32a2ea329_ScreenShot2018-03-17at08_21_22.png.f448792d2ca8b753a16d565f4f9db60d.png
I also use a new-note script that provides a list of templates to chose from and does the copy work.    

5aad32f1041cc_ScreenShot2018-03-17at08_23_09.png.56648ed52c31776ace005a6f74eafe27.png

Thanks for the replies and the workarounds on Mac and Windows! (I'm on a Mac)

I also use Evernote on iOS and sometimes my iPhone or iPad is the perfect place to get started with a checklist from a template. So unfortunately, the desktop workaround only solves part of the issue. I'd much rather it be supported in Evernote itself as a standard feature.

5 hours ago, James D said:

Thanks for the replies and the workarounds on Mac and Windows! (I'm on a Mac)

I also use Evernote on iOS and sometimes my iPhone or iPad is the perfect place to get started with a checklist from a template. So unfortunately, the desktop workaround only solves part of the issue. I'd much rather it be supported in Evernote itself as a standard feature.

Yeah, the only thing available on the iDevice is the duplicate command.  But it uses the template Created/Updated dates, which can be bit problematic depending upon how you sort your note lists.