Eduardo Estefano

Feature Request - Tag updated date field

Idea

In the current system, the updated date field will only get updated with the current date if you change the contents of the note.

I think it would be helpful to have another field that would keep track of the date that tags were either added, removed to a note.

This would allow us to search for notes based on a tag structure. For example, if someone tags a note "approved" but does not change the contents, one could find all notes that were approved in a specific date.

This would also solve the problem when we accidentally remove a tag from a group of notes. Right now there is no way to fix this, except by going through ALL of your notes one by one to see if the note deserves the tag.

8 replies to this idea

If I recall correctly, the decision to not change the updated date when tags are added or remove was deliberate (I don't think that the date changes when you move a note to a different notebook either, or muck with its reminders, or other metadata-y stuff like that, either). It's possible that they'll revisit that policy. I have to say that I prefer the current policy, but I suppose that they could make it a user option, though.

The workaround for your scenario would be to have an "Approved: " field in your note in which the approver can just add the date (in WIndows, use the hotkey Ctrl+;).

Your second scenario isn't helped by any of that, of course.

The original discussion for this feature is posted below; and that was when changing the updated date was dropped for tag changes

• Like 1

I think the current updated date should be kept. The date that the content was changed is more important than the date the metadata was changed. 

My request is to add another metadata field that would save the date that tags were changed (added or removed), and add this as a search possibility. 

19 hours ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

I think the current updated date should be kept. The date that the content was changed is more important than the date the metadata was changed. 

Note title is one of the metadata items.
My opinion is any update is an update.

You can please some of the people some of the time, ...

I think anything that causes a sync should change the Updated date.  The note is not the same, meta data or not.  IMHO.

Design flaw I think.

I was validating that a tag change generates a sync, it does (the asterisk appears).  However, the tag change does not seem to generate a history update, which is not good in any way if it is true, IMHO.

To validate, I looked at a set of notes that have been created once a month for a couple of years, screen clips from the web.  The note gets synced when the clip is taken.  I add the tags in the Windows client when the note appears.  None of those tags are in the history note, and there is only one note in the history list, Current.  Add text to the note and a new history note is added, but there are still no tags in the note history.

Has this always been the case.  I could have sworn I have imported notes from history in the past and the tags were there.  Never happened?  IAC, I don't like the design of this if it is intentional.

10 hours ago, CalS said:

there are still no tags in the note history.

Confirmed: In my use of Note History, neither Notebook or Tag metadata is preserved on the import.  I don't know if metadata is even included in the backup data.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DTLow said:

Confirmed: In my use of Note History, neither Notebook or Tag metadata is preserved on the import.  I don't know if metadata is even included in the backup data.

Thanks.  Notebook is not so bothersome to me, but not including the tags in history seems a miss.