Decrease in Scansnap use with Scannable?

For those of you that have a Scansnap, do you find your use has decreased since there are apps like scannable or other scanning pdf apps?

I'm thinking of purchasing a Scansnap but would hate to not get a ton of use out of it.

Thoughts?

• Level 5*

No. I’ve gone nearly 100% paperless, so there is nothing like a powerful scanner to quickly chew through those documents. It’s next to my computer, plugged in and ready to go anytime. That’s the key, because you really don’t want to let stuff pile up. The scanners are expensive, but they last for many years, and make a paperles life a viable option.

My use of the Scansnap SV600 (overhead scanner) has decreased a bit, though, as the quality of my phone has increased. I’ve found that for large, individual documents, or bound things (books and the like) that I need to keep, I often turn to Scanner Pro on my iPhone. Not always, but enough that I can notice a difference.

* It’s a long story, but actually I am using an Epson D510 and D560 — the Epson equivalent of the Scansnap. There is nothing wrong with them, but I would recommend the Scansnap, because it is a bit more user friendly. The ix500 (I owned that for a couple years) still seems to give you the best bang for your buck.

• Level 5*
On 3/9/2018 at 7:24 PM, itsmejson said:

For those of you that have a Scansnap, do you find your use has decreased since there are apps like scannable or other scanning pdf apps?

I'm thinking of purchasing a Scansnap but would hate to not get a ton of use out of it.

Thoughts?

Nope, I use the ScanSnap virtually every day.  The process at my desktop is faster as well, particularly multi sheet scans..

I don't have ScanSnap but even at work sometimes I find my scanning a one page document with Scannable app vs. going to the big scanner/copier. However, if it is a multi page document, scanners with the feeders will always be faster, easier and more convenient.

In my opinion, depends on the volume of scanning you do. If you are just starting or you have a lot of documents to catch up, a dedicated scanner will be nice to have for sure. But if you are in the "maintaining" mode, I think it may be not "so necessary" to spend the extra bucks. 

However, if I did not have access to a fast scanner with feeder option, I would probably buy one.

I use them for different things.

When snapping pics of my Evernote Post-Its (RIP), or my Evernote Moleskine (also RIP), nothing beats Scannable. However, if I'm tearing through my paper mail or other documents, you can't beat the speed or image quality of my ScanSnap.

I hope that helps! Let me know if I can be of additional assistance.

• Level 5*
On 2018-03-09 at 6:24 PM, itsmejson said:

do you find your use has decreased since there are apps like scannable or other scanning pdf apps?

I answered in the other discussion

Archived