Ayil

Where and how is Evernote stored on my computer?

I have been trying to find out how Evernote is stored on my computer. My basic interest is that I am trying to go paperless (as much as possible) and I'm wondering if the file and file structure live on the computer or at Evernote. IOW, if Evernote ever goes out of business or changes their busines plan in a way I can't join, what happens to my files? I use Evernote for everything now, and don't want to suddenly have everything either disappear or become unusable (disorganized, not searchable, etc.). Since they don't seem to have a phone number and no one in support ever answers an email, I hope someone here can help me. Thanks.

Aside from the web client (and to a lesser degree the mobile clients), Evernote clients are "thick". So they download, maintain, and sync a local copy of all the data; this data also lives in Evernote's Google Cloud servers. The easiest way to get it out of Evernote is to export the notebooks from the client; note that you can do this even without an internet connection, so it should still work if our servers explode.

I'm not on top of where they're stored normally (the best way is just to google it, but it varies by client, because Mac/Windows have different ideas about where such things should be stored), but the way they're stored is not really great for retrieving without the help of the client.

>>I have been trying to find out how Evernote is stored on my computer.

I'm using a Mac; a full data copy is maintained on my computer.  5aa1e870c4d50_ScreenShot2018-03-08at17_50_00.png.da112a19bd26c6badeaddaa55bcbfbff.png
The average user does not access this data directly, but here are the details

• The screenshots illustrate identifying the location.
  • There are separate folders for each note.  
    In comparison,  Windows stores everything embedded in one .exb file.  
  • The metadata is stored in an sqlite database.
  • Note content is stored in a .enml file (one for each note).  This format is similar to html, with 5aa26f29d4d5c_ScreenShot2018-03-09at03_24_25.png.e262b5a498c4aa569290fac39747b836.pngsome extensions.

>>what happens to my files?

For post Evernote, it's easy to export your data in html format (readable in any web browser) 
In fact, I use this in my backups; at any time I have access to my data outside of Evernote.

>>Since they don't seem to have a phone number and no one in support ever answers an email

To contact Evernote Support

• Like 2

On 3/8/2018 at 4:22 PM, Ayil said:

I have been trying to find out how Evernote is stored on my computer. My basic interest is that I am trying to go paperless (as much as possible) and I'm wondering if the file and file structure live on the computer or at Evernote. IOW, if Evernote ever goes out of business or changes their busines plan in a way I can't join, what happens to my files? I use Evernote for everything now, and don't want to suddenly have everything either disappear or become unusable (disorganized, not searchable, etc.). Since they don't seem to have a phone number and no one in support ever answers an email, I hope someone here can help me. Thanks.

If on Windows you would be able to access your data locally should something happen to the servers.  One caveat, never sign out of EN from the Windows client.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CalS said:

never sign out of EN from the Windows client.

Also applies to Mac and IOS

Evernote is a cloud service, but the apps work fine in temporary offline mode; except for one small point - an internet connection is required to login to your account.

I'm interested in hearing the explanation for this.  My devices are password/touched protected, but I dislike the idea of never logging out.

Not directly responding to your question, but if (like me) you want to be sure you keep a legible-even-without-Evernote copy of all your notes, you can write scripts which back up your notebooks into .enex files, which are XML files. While it would require a bit of editing (headers etc) to view them just with a browser, if one morning Evernote ceased to exist and your software would no longer work, all the data would be there.

See this discussion thread for how to automate this (needs some editing of the script) 

12 hours ago, Martin Pergler said:

you want to be sure you keep a legible-even-without-Evernote copy of all your notes, you can write scripts which back up your notebooks into .enex files, which are XML files. While it would require a bit of editing (headers etc) to view them just with a browser, if one morning Evernote ceased to exist and your software would no longer work, all the data would be there.

For a legible-even-without-Evernote copy, I find html export format is much more useful than the .enex format.  The note can be viewed by any browser.

>>See this discussion thread for how to automate this

This is a windows scripting solution.  I use an Applescript on my Mac for daily incremental backups
There are also third-part products like Backupery.

Great question. Appreciate all the group info but I am still searching for my Evernote notes on my new pc without success. I am trying to set up a shortcut to open my Evernote data via Evernote.com. Is there a direct access to a user manual for a Win 10 (updated version)pc?

Mac Laird

On 4/21/2018 at 12:41 PM, mslaird1@cox.net said:

Great question. Appreciate all the group info but I am still searching for my Evernote notes on my new pc without success. I am trying to set up a shortcut to open my Evernote data via Evernote.com. Is there a direct access to a user manual for a Win 10 (updated version)pc?

Mac Laird

If you are just using the EN through a browser your data is not stored on your PC, it is only on EN's servers.

If you use the evernote desktop app your data will be stored locally in a data base on your local drive, the default folder is C:\Users\username\Evernote.  It will also be stored on EN's servers.

Not sure what shortcut you are trying to create?

On 2018-04-21 at 12:41 PM, mslaird1@cox.net said:

I am still searching for my Evernote notes on my new pc without success.

On Windows devices, all data is combined in an sqlite database named aaaaaaa.exb

>>I am trying to set up a shortcut to open my Evernote data

You can create shortcuts to specific notes using the Classic link feature.  This is a url  of the form evernote:///view/....

6 hours ago, CalS said:

If you are just using the EN through a browser your data is not stored on your PC, it is only on EN's servers.

If you use the evernote desktop app your data will be stored locally in a data base on your local drive, the default folder is C:\Users\username\Evernote.  It will also be stored on EN's servers.

6 hours ago, CalS said:

Very helpful. Thank you. I am getting better at using the "new" EN. I like what I have seen so far but still pondering the benefits of adding the app. Think I could save some time if I got into an EN tutorial. 

On 4/23/2018 at 5:10 PM, mslaird1@cox.net said:

Very helpful. Thank you. I am getting better at using the "new" EN. I like what I have seen so far but still pondering the benefits of adding the app. Think I could save some time if I got into an EN tutorial. 

You are welcome.  Don't know what quality, but there may be something out there to jump start your EN experience.  You can always watch a couple to get different perspectives.  There really isn't a right way to use EN.  I think folks sort of morph to what works best for them.  I'm still making adjustments after almost 10 years.  Good luck!

ScreenClip.png.44392b37b368c3fbfc1d391c52b3c12e.png

I didn't realize until I read this topic that there was a distinction between what is called in the Word and Resource Counts dialog "PDF documents" and "PDF documents with Evernote OCR."

Please clarify -- for each of those (in Windows) -- whether or not attaching a PDF file to a Note (i.e., appearing in a Note) increases the size of the Evernote database on my computer by the size of the file. (I have many large PDF files that I would have liked to attach within Evernote so that I could search for text in them, but chose not to because I had gotten the impression that doing so would increase the size of the EN database by the size of the PDF file, and I didn't want the EN data to get humongous because I expected that would increase loading and search times.)

19 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Please clarify -- for each of those (in Windows) -- whether or not attaching a PDF file to a Note (i.e., appearing in a Note) increases the size of the Evernote database on my computer by the size of the file.

Confirmed - Attaching files to a note increases the size of of the Evernote database

I can't speak for Windows, but on a Mac, there is no compression.   The attachment file is stored in native format.

It does allow indexing for searching.  I'm not seeing an impact to loading and search times
An additional benefit is that I have no concerns about a storage location for the pdf files.

On 11/26/2018 at 5:11 PM, DTLow said:

Confirmed - Attaching files to a note increases the size of of the Evernote database

I can't speak for Windows, but on a Mac, there is no compression.   The attachment file is stored in native format.

It does allow indexing for searching.  I'm not seeing an impact to loading and search times
An additional benefit is that I have no concerns about a storage location for the pdf files.

Do I understand correctly:
1) I can't use the desktop application without saving notes to my mac? 
2) If I want to have my notes only in the cloud, I must use EN through the browser (and it's my only choice)?

21 minutes ago, seraph said:

Do I understand correctly:
1) I can't use the desktop application without saving notes to my mac? 
2) If I want to have my notes only in the cloud, I must use EN through the browser (and it's my only choice)?

Correct; Evernote/Mac maintains a full copy of the database

• Thanks 1