macfixer

Weird Admin-less Update Bug

I got the notice that Evernote 7.1 beta 1 was available for Mac. I clicked the button to install it, and when I was prompted for an admin user name and password, I hit cancel (i haven't had my coffee yet) — and it installed anyway!

Which makes me wonder: what exactly does the admin username and password do, if not entering it will install it regardless?

MacBook Pro 15" 
macOS 10.12.6 (16G1212)

Is this a Sparkle bug? A macOS bug? An Evernote bug?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A logic bug I guess - once you accept the install,  it's going to happen regardless - you just get an optional opportunity to install as Admin along the way...

• Haha 1

Yeah, but in OS X, apps are not supposed to install without me agreeing to it. <_<

• Like 1

On 08/03/2018 at 3:05 PM, macfixer said:

I got the notice that Evernote 7.1 beta 1 was available for Mac. I clicked the button to install it, and when I was prompted for an admin user name and password, I hit cancel (i haven't had my coffee yet) — and it installed anyway!

Which makes me wonder: what exactly does the admin username and password do, if not entering it will install it regardless?

MacBook Pro 15" 
macOS 10.12.6 (16G1212)

Is this a Sparkle bug? A macOS bug? An Evernote bug?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What's the location of the installed EN app, then? System's Application or your account's Application folder?

4 hours ago, DavorCengija said:

What's the location of the installed EN app, then? System's Application or your account's Application folder?

It ended up where it was supposed to be: my system's Applications folder.

4 hours ago, macfixer said:

It ended up where it was supposed to be: my system's Applications folder.

Well, then... Houston... :)

Sorry, in that case I'm not of  much help.