Evernote for Mac 7.1 Beta 1

Jason Creadore

Update 2:

We have posted a fix for users who have updated to 7.0.3 from 7.1 Beta and received a "version too old" error. The update will appear in the app when selecting update and can also be found here. The update contains the same content as 7.1 Beta 1. Thank you for your feedback. With it, we were able to find a resolution within 24 hours.

-Jason

image.png.e5f2ff1622a1470b81c9c05a7fae2319.png

Update:

We have observed issues with  7.1 beta 1 users who subsequently update to 7.0.3. At this time we do not recommend updating if you already have 7.1 beta 1 installed. A further update will be posted tomorrow. 

-------

Hi Community, 

We've just released version 7.1 Beta 1. It can download it here or by checking for updates in app. In this beta we've been focusing on stability improvements including bugs and crash fixes. Thank you for the feedback on the last build.

Cheers,

Jason and the Mac team

Release Notes for Mac version 7.1 Beta 1

Fixed:

• An issue where a WorkChat user does not receive an invitation message with a shared note
  • An issue with the cursor not changing to provide affordance of clickability of Note breadcrumb
  • An issue with images that have been resized or rotated then undone 
  • An issue with Notebook Header missing sorting option
  • An intermittent issue where an individual item Recent Notes displays multiple times
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Jason Creadore said:

We've just released version 7.1 Beta 1

Not Fixed:

1. Invisible Note List bug
  2. Notification when moving notes between notebooks

Hey! 

The note moving notification is gone, thanks! But the glitches in the note list and the note flashing when writing is still present. 

Those two bugs are really really really frustrating because they are visual and really annoying when you are working with EN. 

PS/ I just uninstalled the beta since it isn't addressing those issues. ?

When looking at my notes list in Expanded Card View sorted by Date Created, notes are groupes by the months they are created in, but I am not seeing the months above every note group (and the number of notes within the group). This information has disappeared sometimes during the 6.14->7 transition. 

This makes it a lot harder to skim through notes trying to find a particular time.

Evernote is consistently crashing when running AppleScript to search Evernote.

Applescript error:

Evernote got an error: Connection is invalid.

Let me know if this isn't the best place to give beta feedback.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Jason Creadore said:

We've just released version 7.1 Beta 1

Bug Report: App aborts when accessed by AppleScript

7 hours ago, Vincent Noel said:

When looking at my notes list in Expanded Card View sorted by Date Created, notes are groupes by the months they are created in, but I am not seeing the months above every note group (and the number of notes within the group). This information has disappeared sometimes during the 6.14->7 transition. 

This makes it a lot harder to skim through notes trying to find a particular time.

We have a bug filed for this, thanks for reporting!

11 hours ago, lpuerto said:

Hey! 

The note moving notification is gone, thanks! But the glitches in the note list and the note flashing when writing is still present. 

Those two bugs are really really really frustrating because they are visual and really annoying when you are working with EN. 

PS/ I just uninstalled the beta since it isn't addressing those issues. ?

Hey there, thanks for bringing this up. I just want to clarify that these fixes are not in this version as they are still being worked on. Just wanted to take this opportunity to set the expectation that this release doesn't contain the fixes to the note list yet. 

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, nicolml said:

I just want to clarify that these fixes are not in this version as they are still being worked on. Just wanted to take this opportunity to set the expectation that this release doesn't contain the fixes to the note list yet. 

I'm ok with outstanding work still being worked on.  I'd like to see the items listed in the release notes. 

• Ex Employees
3 hours ago, lpuerto said:

By the way... I've notice that the rendering of some captured pages is different in 7.0.2 and 7.1 beta 1. 

Thank you, I can reproduce the rendering discrepancy between versions with that clipped webpage. I've reported this to our developers.

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm ok with outstanding work still being worked on.  I'd like to see the items listed in the release notes. 

Agreed. Release notes should ideally list the major known issues.

11 hours ago, Jay-Bob said:

Thank you, I can reproduce the rendering discrepancy between versions with that clipped webpage. I've reported this to our developers.

That note was capture with the iPad share function. Not with the Evernote Clipper. Just in case.... 

I agree with the rest of the people here. I would like to see in the release notes all the things that the release it's going to address. I don't know why there is a trend now to not list in the release notes all the things fixed. Facebook has been doing for long "Every update of our Facebook app includes improvements for speed and reliability...." and Apple has begun to do it also lately with just one or two lines in the release notes. ?

I also agree with the rest here and thank you a lot with the work you do to keep Evernote up and running. 

Evernote hangs about 60% of the time when I try to move a note to a Notebook. The drop down appears but then gets stuck and I get the spinning beachball. The only workaround is to force quit Evernote.

This problem started with version 7. Anyone else seeing this?

On Latest Beta 7.1 Beta 1. When doing a software update it asks to update to 7.0.3. Accidentally updated to 7.0.3 and it made the local DB have the attached message of Version too old. I had to totally uninstall the DB and app. Then reinstall to get things back up.

Jeremy

Evernote_for_Mac_7_1_Beta_1_-_Evernote_for_Mac_-_Evernote_User_Forum.png

Anyone who installed the 7.1 beta should be careful *not* to install the just-released 7.0.3

If you do the 7.0.3 will refuse to open the Evernote library updated by the 7.1 beta version.

To "fix" the issue I had to move the com.evernote.Evernote folder out of the ~/Library/Application Support folder, as suggested by bitztaker here 

Of course evernote then had to re-download everything from the servers, which is a PITA

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Vincent Noel said:

Anyone who installed the 7.1 beta should be careful *not* to install the just-released 7.0.3

If you do the 7.0.3 will refuse to open the Evernote library updated by the 7.1 beta version.

To "fix" the issue I had to move the com.evernote.Evernote folder out of the ~/Library/Application Support folder, as suggested by bitztaker here 

Of course evernote then had to re-download everything from the servers, which is a PITA

Just done this....ffs.....

I should have learnt by now

On 08/03/2018 at 4:00 PM, Jason Creadore said:

Hi Community, 

We've just released version 7.1 Beta 1. It can download it here or by checking for updates in app. In this beta we've been focusing on stability improvements including bugs and crash fixes. Thank you for the feedback on the last build.

Cheers,

Jason and the Mac team

Fixed:

• An issue where a WorkChat user does not receive an invitation message with a shared note
  • An issue with the cursor not changing to provide affordance of clickability of Note breadcrumb
  • An intermittent issue where an individual item Recent Notes displays multiple times

Downloaded this version when the app told me.   Now get this error message 

image.jpeg

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, RUEHTREE said:

Downloaded this version when the app told me.   Now get this error message 

image.jpeg

Remember this will mess up your Local Notebooks.

This is unbelievably bad from Evernote. Why are they pushing updates when their support aren't working?

Amateur hour.....

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Evernoteren said:

crashing on OSX still not fixed on 7.1

Great, 7.03 has the fixed but can't run it because my Evernote was upgraded to "newer version." Just fantastic.

If you wish to downgrade to 7.03 you have to downgrade both the app and the database.

As other's have mentioned in this discussion, you can simply delete the database folder, and Evernote will rebuild the data from the server. 
Warning: The rebuild does not include local notebooks or unsync'd notes

Hi, I’ve found an issue this beta version also recent production versions of Evernote.app, which is obviously strange and annoying.

It’s caused by wrong parameter settings on NSScrollView.
I’ve made a patch so it should be really easy to fix it. Patch is available on Github repository.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, niw said:

Hi, I’ve found an issue this beta version also recent production versions of Evernote.app, which is obviously strange and annoying.

Thanks for reporting this. We're currently aware of the problem and we're reworking the note list to solve a few bugs related to it, including this one.

On 3/13/2018 at 8:38 AM, doonyakka said:

Evernote hangs about 60% of the time when I try to move a note to a Notebook. The drop down appears but then gets stuck and I get the spinning beachball. The only workaround is to force quit Evernote.

I've experienced this myself, but don't see it anymore with the internal version I'm running. It should be fixed in the 7.1 official release. Please DM me if you find it still happens when 7.1 comes out. Thanks again for reporting! 

4 hours ago, niw said:

It’s caused by wrong parameter settings on NSScrollView.
I’ve made a patch so it should be really easy to fix it. Patch is available on Github repository.

Thank you!

Hey Evernote, get @niw a job!

…or at least some Evernote Swag B)

4 hours ago, nicolml said:

Thanks for reporting this. We're currently aware of the problem and we're reworking the note list to solve a few bugs related to it, including this one.

Thank you!!

5 hours ago, nicolml said:

The note list has been broken for 26 days now. Nice to know you're "reworking the note list", maybe we'll finally see a fix soon. :rolleyes:

• Level 5*

Evernote refuses to remember the column widths I want when in List View. For example, the date fields are insanely wide and show "January 12, 2018 at 6:14pm" instead of something just as readable but taking up less space as "1/12/2018, 6:14pm". That then doesn't leave enough room to have wide columns where desired, like the note subject.

When I close Evernote or reboot, the column widths change to defaults. 

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, EdH said:

Evernote refuses to remember the column widths I want when in List View.

Same problem; column widths in list view change to default values
in addition, the sort sequence changes.

• Level 5*

If I create photo notes on the iPhone and then sync them to the Mac and then move those notes to a notebook that has been shared with me, I end up with duplicates of the notes in the Trash. 

Is this the expected behaviour? Seems wrong to me.

Also, can I get a rough idea how many times I'm going to have to close pop ups across the Evernote apps about Spaces? Mac client pop up wouldn't close just now so I had to kill the app and restart. Would be nice if you remembered I'm not interested and stopped nagging.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Metrodon said:

then move those notes to a notebook that has been shared with me

I've seen the same behavior.

This action will result in brand new notes; likewise if you move in/out of Local Notebooks.   You end up with both the old note and the new note; the notes have different GUID values.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, DTLow said:

I've seen the same behavior.

This action will result in brand new notes; likewise if you move in/out of Local Notebooks.   You end up with both the old note and the new note; the notes have different GUID values.

I can't believe this is intended...

Thanks a lot @macfixer for sharing the solution that @niw created for the Evernote Snipper list view. And of course, eternal gratitude to @niw for create it. 

I don't understand how an outsider can create a solution in even lest time that Evernote is able to do. it would be great if this solution can be implemented in a hoxfix even if you are looking to implementing a better solution in the long run. 

As per the previous Beta, why is 'Remove from Sidebar' still shaded when I right click 'Recent Notes' in the SIdebar? I have a long list of stacks and notebooks I'd rather see - I don't want to see recent notes. 

It's also not possible an option from View > Sidebar Options to hide it either. 

I was about to abandon Evernote because of the ‘missing notes’ problem. Thought I try the beta (so desperate am to work with EN) - read the posts and the missing notes issue is not fixed. 

I now have no choice but to give up on Evernote. 

Im on BETA, followed today the altes update request!

Suddenly receive the ERROR message "Deine lokalen Evernote-Daten werden von einer neueren Version von Evernote verwaltet. Bitte verwende die aktuellste Version" (your local Evernote-Data are managed for a neuer Version ....)

I do need a Top Urgent Accecs to my offline Notebooks!

a) working Version 

b) how to revert back to older Version with TimeMachine

On 3/8/2018 at 6:00 AM, Jason Creadore said:

Update 2:

We have posted a fix for users who have updated to 7.0.3 from 7.1 Beta and received a "version too old" error. The update will appear in the app when selecting update and can also be found here. The update contains the same content as 7.1 Beta 1. Thank you for your feedback. With it, we were able to find a resolution within 24 hours.

-Jason

image.png.e5f2ff1622a1470b81c9c05a7fae2319.png

Update:

We have observed issues with  7.1 beta 1 users who subsequently update to 7.0.3. At this time we do not recommend updating if you already have 7.1 beta 1 installed. A further update will be posted tomorrow. 

-------

Hi Community, 

Cheers,

Jason and the Mac team

Fixed:

Im on BETA ... followed today the ACTUAL UPDATE request!

Suddenly receive the ERROR message "Deine lokalen Evernote-Daten werden von einer neueren Version von Evernote verwaltet. Bitte verwende die aktuellste Version" (your local Evernote-Data are managed for a neuer Version ....) (now: Version 7.1.1 (456663 Direkt)

I do need a Top Urgent Accecs to my offline Notebooks!

a) working new BETA-Version 
b) how to revert back to older Version with TimeMachine

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Mic@Evern said:

I do need a Top Urgent Accecs to my offline Notebooks! ...how to revert back to older Version with TimeMachine

I know my database pathname /Users/david/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/www.evernote.com
- direct download app1600626619_ScreenShot2018-05-16at07_31_59.png.50cf2fa657bde03bea8b3cbc97e24300.png

I enter my Time Machine   
switch to the date required, and restore that folder
documentation at https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201250

342788863_ScreenShot2018-05-16at07_38_19.png.c6e0935e0b52800baa9677ba77148f88.png

34 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I know my database pathname /Users/david/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/www.evernote.com
- direct download app1600626619_ScreenShot2018-05-16at07_31_59.png.50cf2fa657bde03bea8b3cbc97e24300.png

I enter my Time Machine   
switch to the date required, and restore that folder
documentation at https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201250

342788863_ScreenShot2018-05-16at07_38_19.png.c6e0935e0b52800baa9677ba77148f88.png

I suppose I need to recover:
- whole Folder .../com.evernote.Evernote/ 
- old Evernote App from that time, 

Do Online Notebooks sync with CURRENT Online Content?

br & tanks in advance

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Mic@Evern said:

Do Online Notebooks sync with CURRENT Online Content?  re: restore from TimeMachine backup

edit: All notebooks are restored to the TimeMachine version.
The first time you run a sync, the Online Notebooks will be updated to the master version stored on the Evernote servers.

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The first time you run a sync, the Online Notebooks will be updated to the master version stored on the Evernote servers.

@ sync - I understand (means eg. yesterday´s last online sync.)

@ my comments form above - where they right understood? (Offline at date of TimeMachine)

Archived