Text to Speech or Text to Audio for Desktop

Hi!

My understanding is there should be a way to use Evernote to read text back in a computer voice (so I can hear what I have written). However, I cannot for the life of me find it, and I have been looking.

I can get my Windows PC to take dictation, no problem, except that is the exact opposite of what I am looking for and it's got nothing to do with Evernote, anyway. 

So, thoughts? Or at least sympathy? :)

Many thanks, in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2018 at 3:47 PM, JanetG said:

Hi!

My understanding is there should be a way to use Evernote to read text back in a computer voice (so I can hear what I have written). However, I cannot for the life of me find it, and I have been looking.

I can get my Windows PC to take dictation, no problem, except that is the exact opposite of what I am looking for and it's got nothing to do with Evernote, anyway. 

Many thanks, in advance.

I just tried the Narrator option in Windows 10 under the accessibility options, it just read "ALL NOTEBOOKS"...."xxx@yahoo.com"..."Evernote" but it did not read the note content. 

There is some information here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17173/windows-10-hear-text-read-aloud that you might want to check out. Maybe there is a setting that can read the highlighted text within a note.

Hope you find a solution, keep us posted. I think Mac OS X has a read aloud option for pretty much anything highlighted, I never used it but I remember seeing it, which, I know, does not help you in this case.

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

I think Mac OS X has a read aloud option for pretty much anything

Right, Macs are fantastic for text to speech
I set the voice to Scottish Fiona ( it is a Mac) and have the computer recite the poem There Will Come Soft Rains

• Like 1
On 3/7/2018 at 3:47 PM, JanetG said:

Hi!

Many thanks, in advance.

Found a way! I don't use Microsoft Edge a lot but for Office 365 related items and I saw the same READ ALOUD option within Microsoft Edge.

So if you open Evernote web in Edge instead of the windows app, then you can have all the note content read! Just tried it and worked!

image.png.2c423fbda871ff7843e5a9a48543f223.png

I got it (and thank you for hanging in there 20 days later)! Thank you @TK0047 - it sounds a touch like the late Stephen Hawking. :) Now Dr. Hawking (kind of) will talk about business credit. 

Thank you SO much - kudos! Pie! All the praise! 

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
  • Level 5

Audio is mentioned in the release notes of 10.7.6 to be on the short list for the next releases.

However nobody yet knows what this will mean in detail. Since the new  clients are platform neutral, I do not expect any platform specific features to be supported.

• Level 5

The apps prior to v10 were native apps, programmed to work within a certain OS. So the Windows app was running in Windows, the Mac app in MacOS etc. They did not interchange code, and used properties of the OS.

v10 is running in a framework, that translates what a unified app wants to do for the respective OS. This is similar to a browser that runs the same web site and the embedded code on all sort of computers. In fact the framework is based on browser technology. So all v10 clients share code, and are not set to use specific features that are only available in one OS.

This is the reason why (usually) all desktop clients share the same version number - because they are the same software running inside of the framework. Currently is switched from 10.6.9 to 10.7.6 - simultaneously for all clients. This did never happen with native apps, where Windows was stuck with 6.25, and Mac with 7.14.