** Solved ** Files in import folders get imported twice

Hi all,

I have a folder with 4 subfolders set up for automated importing files on my second drive (D). Since these 4 subfolders also have subfolders, I created four rules to get these folders including their subfolders imported correctly.

This always worked.

Since some time now, don't know how long, I noticed that every file I add to the import folders (the subfolders, not the main one,since there is no urle for that one) get imported and one or two seconds later the file gets imported again. So each file shows up twice in my inbox.

I deleted the rules and created them again, but the problem persists.

My folder setup is like this:

- main folder
-- sub 1
--- subsub 1
--- subsub 2
--- subsub etcetera
-- sub 2
-- sub 3
-- sub 4

And my rules import sub 1 to 4 separately, including their subfolders. The files keep located on my drive.

Hope anyone can shed some light on this.

Version installed: 6.9.7.6770 (306770) Public (CE Build ce-1.39.4387)

Thanks in advance!

Robin

• Level 5*

Hi.  Seems like the logic behind imports may have changed - whether by accident 'development' or design it's impossible to know.  I have several separate import folders for different notebooks and haven't seen any changes.  Have you tried unpacking your sub-folders into separate top-level folders,  or setting each one up as a separate import folder?

Thanks for your reply, gazumped!

Setting it up as separate top level folders works. When an import folder is a subfolder, it does the double import thingy. I have the subfolders set up as separate import folders, but that does not work.

Of course, I can let go of the subfolder thing, it is just quite inconvenient.

I use this for the admin docs for my family. Admin is the top folder, with subfolders for each family member. Keeps all admin docs nicely together. Using separate top level folders makes it far more hassle. And, like I said, it used to work like a charm.

I was not using the Import folder before, I always thought that you had to manually import for some reason.

I just set up my first import folder and selected to delete the file after import, and it works really nicely.

It is not a response or a solution to your problem, but I guess it is a thanks that it made me look into it. :) 

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, RobinRoelofsen said:

Wait... can it be that my using Drive File Stream is the culprit? That when I place a file in the folder, it gets imported, DFS adds it to the cloud, sets a flag in the file, and Evernote sees it as changed and adds it again?

If you're leaving the file in the import folder as well as adding it to Evernote,  then yes that could cause problems - any change to the file looks like a new version to Evernote;  and if the file is locked by another process,  the import can't complete.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RobinRoelofsen said:

It's funny, I am receiving the notification for you replying twice :) Coincidence, I guess.

Yup - that's the Forums just being funny - I get duplicate emails too... :unsure:

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, RobinRoelofsen said:

Setting it up as separate top level folders works. When an import folder is a subfolder, it does the double import thingy. I have the subfolders set up as separate import folders, but that does not work.

You might have the import subfolder problem in Windows.  The import folder tool recongnizes one level of subfolder.

I'm running on a Mac and don't see a subfolder import problem.   There's no Evernote import tool, but we use scripting which allows for more control

Nope, it was the fact that I had the import folder synchronised with Google's Backup and Sync. Apparently that changes the files enough to have Evernote see it as a changed file and reimport. All is working now.

The one level of subfolder thing relates to the fact that Evernote only imports the folder - whether it itself is a subfolder or not - I set the rule for plus one subfolder layer below that folder. It does that.

So... how do I close this thread?

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, RobinRoelofsen said:

So... how do I close this thread?

You can't close the discussion but you can modify the title to indicate ** Solved **

Archived