Hello Everyone! I have an issue in scrolling my notes on my Mac Application, it does not scroll smoothly and it seems too laggy!

in typing and writing notes everything is great but in scrolling pages and notes and application it's not ok!

I run macOS high sierra and my MacBook has great hardware so it seems it's not a hardware issue.

any suggestion would be appreciated.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have two macbooks side by side. A 2011 15" and a 2016 15"

The 2016 has laggy scrolling with images, the 2011 has zero lag 

I'm guessing it has to do with the OS update, the 2011 is on El capitan but with the same version of evernote 7.2

2016 is on High Sierra

• Like 1

I solved the problem. It's an issue with the retina display. if you go to get info on Evernote and select "Open in low resolution" it gets rid of the lag. It shouldn't have to be this way and I'm really not sure what the point of the retina display is if it can't even handle a notebook app with some pictures in it 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2018 at 2:05 AM, blee088 said:

I solved the problem. It's an issue with the retina display. if you go to get info on Evernote and select "Open in low resolution" it gets rid of the lag. It shouldn't have to be this way and I'm really not sure what the point of the retina display is if it can't even handle a notebook app with some pictures in it 

I got your point, at low resolution, it works smoother, but looks really awful, especially on my 5K external screen.

It really affect the experience of quick looking through long notes severly. Hope this can be solved!

• 2 months later...

Inserting images makes the situation worse.  

I tried to insert 3 iPhone images into a note using Evernote on iPhone, and then open the synced note in Evernote on Mac, I can barely scroll the note (very laggy).  

By the way, I am using external 2560x1600 resolution monitor, not a HiDPI (4K+ monitor).

• 4 months later...

Funny, just opened the same note in browser (evernote), super smooth scrolling, so problem in renderer engine in mac app, maybe they converted win app to mac with poor adoption.

I count it as a bug!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I also have this problem. Evernote is wonderful but scrolling through notes with images is dog-slow on my 4K monitor powered by an upgraded 2018 Mac mini. I can scroll through pretty much any other app without issue, but Evernotes - especially with multimedia even simply images - is laggy and awful. Please fix this EN! Otherwise, great app.

• Level 5*
On 8/6/2019 at 9:04 AM, scarbelly said:

+1. This problem is extremely annoying. On an iMac Pro no less.

11 minutes ago, EN_ROCKS said:

I also have this problem. Evernote is wonderful but scrolling through notes with images is dog-slow ...

As premium users, you should be contacting Evernote support at https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 4:41 AM, DTLow said:

As premium users, you should be contacting Evernote support at https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

@DTLow I totally get what you are saying. However, often when someone (like myself just 30 mins ago) is trying to get help but support chat is offline, we gravitate towards the forum for assistance. 

Before I found this particular post, I was unable to find anyone posting about similar behaviour. I've don't some troubleshooting and when scrolling in the macOS app after updating to v7.12, you'll see the Evernote process spike its CPU usage up to 100% when scrolling up and down a note. 

Also, for those that mentioned the Retina display being the issue, well I have the same issue when using a 42" 1080p tv as a second screen (as well as on my retina display). I think we can rule out the Retina display being the root cause of this issue. I don't yet know what the root cause is, but I can confirm using the web app seems to work without lag. 

Having said that, I've used the desktop app for macOS for several months, everyday for work, and not until the 7.12 update have I seen this issue. 

I am experiencing the same issue, it seem if there is more than 1 image (regardless of size) it starts to effect the scrolling. If I view on iOS or Web, there is no issue, it is isolated to Mac app. If there is a fix that anyone knows of, I am willing to try anything, short of a OS reinstall.

• 3 months later...

The same on 2019 macbook pro. Notes are close to unusable in the app when multiple images are saved in a note, scrolling in Chrome is smooth. Below is the CPU and GPU load for scrolling the same note in the app (first half), followed by scrolling in Chrome. CPU load is comparable, GPU load is much higher in Chrome (due to faster scrolling?). Given how idle the laptop is, I'd say it is a bug not a hardware problem.

382588603_Screenshot2019-12-2012_02_09.thumb.png.c8409a112bcabc176e9bb0b6f5bef9ef.png1779674239_Screenshot2019-12-2012_08_22.png.735231c9216dd1d8822689399b0ad903.png

• 2 weeks later...

i'm also facing the same problem and it's really annoying. This is my setup and how to easily reproduce. The key thing is that the images in note are Ratina capture 144dpi instead of regular 72dpi.

EN7.14 on MAC Mojave with macmini 2011 i7 CPU, 16G mem, 27" 2560x1440 monitor

if you capture 3 images using MACbook pro(ratina display) and put into one note and switched to macmini and try to scoll down this note, it'll be very very slow and lagging, the more ratina images(144dpi instead of 72 dpi) you put in one note, the more lagging you have.

On 2/5/2019 at 11:22 PM, Shotik said:

Funny, just opened the same note in browser (evernote), super smooth scrolling, so problem in renderer engine in mac app, maybe they converted win app to mac with poor adoption.

I count it as a bug!

The problem persists for yeeeeeeaaaars! As Shotik said, it's a render problem... for as long as there is an image in the note, it's basically not scrollable. However everything is fine in safari. I switched to Notion solely for this reason, but I still hope that the developer can fix this annoying issue.

• 2 months later...