Creating new blocks within existing blocks

willianjhonatta

Idea

Evernote is very limited to organization, this leaves us wanting many things.

Should be able to add new blocks within existing blocks, this would help to create new topics within the same theme, without having to create other blocks atoa just to complement something ... For example: I create a block called "Matter "and within it I want to create blocks of all the subjects that I study, and within each subject I want to create several topics.

A practical example: I create a block called Matter, inside it I create a Mathematical Matter, and inside the Mathematics Block I want to create other blocks addressing the theme; Algebra, Geometry, Functions. And for each block I can add new blocks, and new notes. That would give a HUGE help.

I need this a lot, because I deal with various calculations, and among other things. Please!

*Sorry my english, I'm not American.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

There are no "blocks" in Evernote. There are:

Notes : these contain your note content: text, images, attachments, etc.

Tags: these are labels that you can attach to notes. Note that tags can be structured hierarchically (they can be nested).

Notebooks: these contain notes, but not other notebooks (i.e., no nesting)

Stacks: these contain notebooks, but not notes, and not other stacks (i.e., no nesting)

In the current Evernote, neither Stacks nor Notebooks may be nested. That is, Stacks may not contain other Stacks, and Notebooks may not contain either Notebooks or Stacks.

If you are looking for nesting notebooks, then there is plenty of discussion about that here on the forum. Do a web search on something like "evernote nesting notebooks" and you should find it. The big one is here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/96180-nesting-multiple-notebooks-creating-sub-notebooks/

Note that notebook nesting may be added in the future, but that's not certain, and there is no timetable for it.

If you are looking for nested tags, then your example is a perfect case:

A practical example: I create a block called Matter, inside it I create a Mathematical Matter, and inside the Mathematics Block I want to create other blocks addressing the theme; Algebra, Geometry, Functions. And for each block I can add new blocks, and new notes. That would give a HUGE help.

Create a tag called "Matter". Under it, create a tag called "Mathematical", under that, create tags called "Algebra", "Geometry", and "Functions". Apply to your notes as desired: I'd probably do "Mathematical", plus a specific subtag, i.e. "Algebra".

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, jefito said:

There are no "blocks" in Evernote. There are:

Notes : these contain your note content: text, images, attachments, etc.

Notebooks: these contain notes, but not other notebooks (i.e., no nesting)

Stacks: these contain notebooks, but not notes, and not other stacks (i.e., no nesting)

Do we dare say the T word (Tags)

unlimited nesting, for example

• Matter
  •      Mathematical Matter
  •             Algebra
  •             Geometry
  •              Functions

I'd recommend a more structured naming.  For example "Matter - Math" and  "Matter - Math - Algebra"

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Do we dare say the T word, Tags

unlimited nesting

Yes, I forgot it for the moment, and was in process of adding it it in to my post when you replied...

You are very quick, DTLow... :) 

2 horas atrás, jefito disse:

There are no "blocks" in Evernote.

When I said "blocks", unintentionally, I ended up saying wrong, when the right was what you said: batteries. Thank you for your attention, and I'm sorry for my English.

You were very constructive in your response, which helped me a lot. I am now following the discussion "evernote nesting notebooks" here in the forum, to see if the proposal goes forward. Waiting for the Evernote team to look at this.

Archived