Notes are disappearing, so frustrating

First time I've experienced the following issue:

Yesterday, I took copious notes during a critical meeting. Today, the note was there, with the title still there but the body of the note was empty. It simply had the default text: "Drag files here or just start typing". I was surprised - I'd written enough and for a long enough time for plenty of syncing to occur, I'd never before seen a body of a note go missing. 

Then, I started a follow-up note. Similar title, typing away. After 10 minutes, and switching from other notes, the 2nd note too was now blank. Argh.

Tried again with a third note. Same thing. 

When I accessed Evernote on my 2nd synced device, my phone, I see a preview of the original text I typed in each of the three notes - so I know it's somewhere - but when I open the note fully on my phone, it too is blank.

If it helps... thinking back, across each note - the last bit of text I was typing turned red without my formatting it. I assumed I accidentally hit a formatting key on my Mac. But I now recall that this happened across each of the three notes.

So frustrating. Also, shaking my trust in Evernote to always keep my notes safe. I actually had to, gulp, take notes in Word since my notes were disappearing in the middle of a meeting! Please help!

• Level 5*
On 3/2/2018 at 10:00 PM, moneyball said:

So frustrating. Also, shaking my trust in Evernote to always keep my notes safe. I actually had to, gulp, take notes in Word since my notes were disappearing in the middle of a meeting! Please help!

Take a look on the web version to see if your note content is there.  If a premium member check note history to see if any of the versions of yesterday's note was saved to history.

28 minutes ago, CalS said:

Take a look on the web version to see if your note content is there.  If a premium member check note history to see if any of the versions of yesterday's note was saved to history.

It is showing on the web version! So, glad I didn't lose the contents - but still not syncing to the desktop nor mobile versions.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

It might help if you identify the device/platform you were using

Evernote: Version 7.0.2 (456267 App Store)

Mac Laptop: iOs 10.13.3 (17D47)

iPhone X. Evernote 8.9.1.361567.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, moneyball said:

It is showing on the web version! So, glad I didn't lose the contents - but still not syncing to the desktop nor mobile versions.

That's good news
As a saftey messure, I'd advise using the web version to copy the content to a new note

See if the new note syncs to your devices.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, moneyball said:

You could add a tag to the note on the web to see if that forces the content to your Mac when you sync on the Mac.  Worst case, copy past the text to a new note on your Mac and see if that sticks.

20 minutes ago, CalS said:

You could add a tag to the note on the web to see if that forces the content to your Mac when you sync on the Mac.  Worst case, copy past the text to a new note on your Mac and see if that sticks.

Good idea, tried that. Tag appeared, but content did not port over. :(

21 minutes ago, DTLow said:

That's good news
As a saftey messure, I'd advise using the web version to copy the content to a new note

See if the new note syncs to your devices.

Trying that. Don't know if I'm hitting on another known bug (recall seeing another post on topic), but cannot copy/paste to a new note. Any suggestions?

Also, is my issue a known one? Seems bizarre that after 100% syncing - these handful of notes are still stuck in the Twightlight Zone.

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, moneyball said:

Good idea, tried that. Tag appeared, but content did not port over. :(

Could try changing the notebook of the note, who knows.  Don't know how it works on the Mac, but sometimes fully closing EN and reopening cleans up some of these anomalies.  PITA

1 minute ago, CalS said:

Could try changing the notebook of the note, who knows.  Don't know how it works on the Mac, but sometimes fully closing EN and reopening cleans up some of these anomalies.  PITA

PITA is right!

Tried changing notebook, didn't work either. Ported over note with title, but no body. I'll keep trying. Anyway, thanks for the help!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, moneyball said:

PITA is right!

Tried changing notebook, didn't work either. Ported over note with title, but no body. I'll keep trying. Anyway, thanks for the help!

You are welcome.  Sorry it couldn't be more.

EDIT:  You could try a different browser or copy paste to another app and then to EN.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, moneyball said:

cannot copy/paste to a new note. Any suggestions?

How about generating a public url and accessing the note in a browser.  You could try coping from there.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

How about generating a public url and accessing the note in a browser.  You could try coping from there.

That worked! Formatting is jacked up - but better than nothing.

That said - losing confidence in creating new notes. This cycle to recover a single note was brutal to say the least and I assumed it would eventually sync so my confidence would be restored, but still in Twilight Zone on new notes created.

• 5 months later...

Hi, the same thing happened to me just now. I was making a really long note on the Mac Evernote app, and I decided to check if it's been synced to my Iphone as I was planning to work from the phone instead, then the note showed up for a second and it suddenly ended up as a blank note. I was not on Premium, and when I read that I can check history once I activate Premium, I did. When I checked history as a Premium account user, there is no history saved. Can someone help me in this please? This is very frustrating as I trusted Evernote to sync my important note. :(

Im experiencing the same behavior, after updating to the most recent version (6.13.14.7474 (307474) Public (CE Build ce-48.0.5483)) on Windows 7.  After a sync I see my content, but as soon as I select the note, it disappears.  I do see the content on the web, have rebooted, but no change in the behavior.  There was no "crash" in my case as another user had experienced, just a version update.

• 5 months later...

This happened to me 2 months ago. I had written hours of notes and showed as synced (Mac 10.14.2 Mojave) and they even showed the preview when I navigated to a different note. Everything seemed good. The next day I opened the notes and several paragraphs (hours of typing) were missing, as if the last several saves of the document didn't fully save. I tried to contact customer support, but you can only do so with a Premium membership, which was enraging. So I signed up for Premium temporarily and still wasn't able to contact customer support. More enraged that on top of my first bug there was a second bug. Finally the membership unlocked the ability to contact customer support so I sent an email to a person who reached out to me weeks later. At this point I had given up, written off Evernote, and switched to Google Docs.

I've been using Evernote as long as it's been around. This was the first issue I'd ever had with it but it was so big, so frustrating, and so unresolved that I decided I was done with the product. My confidence in its single, most important purpose was majorly eroded. Hopefully this bug gets fixed, but looks like it's not only still a bug but not much public awareness from the Evernote team fixing or updating the bug.

• 5 months later...

This happened to me today...notes online disappeared.  Appearing on my iphone.  I was viewing in Chrome - gone!  I opened in Safari - whew! there they were...YAY!  I think this may be a bug with the Chrome browser.

I had this happen to me today,. I came in this morning and all but one note were missing, and like everyone else have been having difficulties trying to contact Evernote. I then tried opening Evernote in chrome in an incognito window and that did the trick. It might be a case of clearing your browser cache/cookies, but will be backing my notes up now!

• 4 weeks later...

Evernote has been increasingly losing my notes more and more often. I have just lost YET ANOTHER note from about 2 weeks ago.

I even went so far as to manually sync, open evernote on another device and double-check that the notes showed up both places.

Then I go back today and not only is the note content is gone, and that there is no history for that note, either. The note is there but no content inside it.

EVERNOTE could you please stop deleting my data? I would rather have redundant copies of stuff than have you automatically and enthusiastically forget that my note content ever existed. I have no reason to pay for this service if I cannot trust you not to delete my data.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, wtfevernote said:

Evernote has been increasingly losing my notes more and more often. I have just lost YET ANOTHER note from about 2 weeks ago.

I even went so far as to manually sync, open evernote on another device and double-check that the notes showed up both places.

Then I go back today and not only is the note content is gone, and that there is no history for that note, either. The note is there but no content inside it.

EVERNOTE could you please stop deleting my data? I would rather have redundant copies of stuff than have you automatically and enthusiastically forget that my note content ever existed. I have no reason to pay for this service if I cannot trust you not to delete my data.

These are mainly user-to-user forums, so they're not a good way of communicating directly with Evernote. Since you're a Premium subscriber, you do have the option of contacting Evernote support and asking them to help get your note back. Sometimes, at least, I think they've been able to do that.

• 2 months later...

Hello, 

Today several of my very important notes disappeared from the web/browser based version on my Macbook. The notes are still on my iphone X. 

I tried restarting my mac, synching devices, etc. but the notes are still missing from the web version. WHY? Is there a way to fix this? 

Sean

• 9 months later...

I use the desktop version.

This is happening to me & at first I thought it was just me. It started around 2-3 months ago.

I take copious notes when I watch certain videos & I thought maybe I never took notes on a specific video.

Well now another note has gone missing & the link to the video too. Just terrible & that one I think I did a year ago.

Now another note (very small one) has gone missing with the times of the video that the lecturer said something specific.

And yes I searched in the online version b/c I don't know which notebooks they are in so all I can do is search by kw & nothing. Same with the Trash. I don't see anything in there & search came up with nothing.

Very upset now.

The notes were there when I wrote them. Why would I have to sync to the server to see the notes that were on my desktop when I wrote them & they are old notes.

One from around 2 years ago, another from at least 6-8 months ago.

And I'm sure I've synced since then or the system has synced since then since I had issues with Evernote syncing before to my mobile.

Makes no sense what you are saying. I wrote them on my Desktop, not on the web version.

Unless I'm missing something on how Evernote works.

If I wrote it on the desktop it should be on the desktop UNLESS Evernote deletes notes when it syncs..

• Level 5

My questions are just meant to reproduce what may have happened.

On a desktop, notes are first saved to the local database. For notes in a local notebook, that is it.

All other notes are synced to the server the next time the sync job runs. Then there are 2 copies: 1 on the server, that is by default the master copy, one locally on the desktop.

One way a note on the desktop can get "lost" is when by web client or mobile client the "master" note on the server is deleted. Then it will delete (=move to trash) the desktop note the next time a sync between desktop and server happens. This is in fact a way when a note on the desktop is deleted by server action (but caused by the note owner himself).

You say these were older notes. How do you know the notes are gone ? By search ? 

I understand.

Yes, as I stated in my original comment, I did a search, but I had also scrolled through one of the notebooks high & low & couldn't find 2 of the notes.

I think I know which notebook the 3rd note was in, but again, it's not there.

Interestingly when I just started a deep search on my computer, it found one of the kws in C/Users/MyName/Evernote/Databases

I've been having issues with Evernote for several months & have complained about it over & over again that I'll be in the middle of typing up a note & POOF, it disappears & I get a blank white screen & have to click on it on the left side.

This happens also if I leave the note & come back to it.

I'll bet you that bug is deleting notes. sigh

• Level 5

It is a long thread ... and you started somewhere in the middle. Sometimes it makes it easier to start a fresh thread instead of entering an existing one.

No idea what happened to the notes you are missing. Up to now (knock on wood) I have never lost any.

For all notes there is a note history running in the background. It is only accessible with a Premium account, but the data is already collecting when on Basic. So you could go to Premium for a month and try with support.

Note history will only work when a note is still somewhere. So first step with support would probably be to try to find and revive the missing notes. Then by note history it could be resetted to the point in time you want.

Whether support can find the note, I can’t say. It is up to you if you want to invest one Premium month to give it a try.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

„Someone“ can‘t get access to your account, unless you opened a door. Reused passwords or stuff like this may create a vulnerability.

On Basic there will often be a notification about too many devices. Or you can look into access history in your account details. If you find a strange device, you may have a leak. Which in all cases we treated in the forum were caused by the user himself.

It would be very weird for somebody taking the effort to enter your account and have no better idea than to randomly delete something.

About the data base entry: If something got corrupted, there may be a residue in the raw data that can’t be found by the search index of the EN client. You can try to recreate the search index by holding down the alt/opt key before clicking on help. You will then find additional options at the bottom of the help menu, that can correct database errors. If it helps to get your missing notes back, I do not know. But you don’t loose anything by trying.

We'll agree to disagree.

Anyone can hack into your computer & I'm a truther, so I'm at huge risk. No one is immune to hacking.

I don't reuse p/ws. I use Last Pass so every p/w is unique.

I just looked at devices & it all "appears" to be normal.

I'll wait until my website coder is around to try & recreate the search index. 

I HOPE that's the issue b/c one missing note, ok, maybe it's me, but 3? Nope, that's impossible. I don't delete notes for no reason. I rarely delete them & they only get deleted if I started one & didn't type something in them & needed to delete it b/c it was empty. In fact I have 6 deleted empty notes in my trash.

My trash has barely anything in it. 94 notes over the course of years.

So I just went to look what's in my trash & I found almost a duplicate of a note I already had that's in a notebook AND found another note that I never would have deleted & even though it's in the trash area, at the top when you look at what notebook it's attached to it says "Health," not trash.

And that's just 2 notes I investigated. I didn't go thru the rest.

Something serious is breaking with EN.

I never would have deleted that note, & I had no reason to create a duplicate note & trash one of them.

smh

• Level 5

When there is no strange access documented, there probably was none. This section can’t be edited by a user. So whatever happened, happened inside of your account, with the account owner having the say.

In cases like this I try to find the explanation that takes the least additional assumptions to make it work.

This is (sorry) a glimpse by the user / Operator while using the program. It is pretty easy to delete a note (EN will not ask), because it will be kept in the trash notebook until confirmation.

The part about the website coder I didn’t get - no coding needed to go to the extended menu and start a rebuild of the index.

So good luck. As a user, I don’t think I can help you further. 

I didn't say there was coding needed for rebuilding the index.

And no, I don't think it's easy to delete a note. You have to press the delete key or right click on the note.

Anyway, no need to respond back. You are clearly bent on blaming me for something I never did.

This is not to you, but to everyone else.

I did NOT do anything to delete my own notes. I made this very clear over & over again, so I hope anyone else who's having the same issues understands this.

• 3 months later...
On 8/26/2020 at 10:56 AM, Metrodon said:

I'm sure I'm going to regret asking this....

But why if you are a "truther" are you at "great risk"?

Because they don't want the truth to be known. Never have, never will.

Many people have been killed for speaking the truth.

My point is, I didn't delete the notes. 

We'll see if this latest update fixes the issue.

I just found out that it also hasn't been telling me when there's an update. I was behind several versions & didn't know it.  WOW.