Idea

I've been using Evernote since 2010 I think, it's come a long way since then and I legitimately depend on it daily.  That said, there's something that it's been missing, and since the entrance of more accurate pointing devices on tablets, I find it maddening how this is still a thing that hasn't been done yet. 

I'd like to request better annotation support.  Yes, I understand that annotation has been available for the past few years, but it essentially saves the annotations as attachments.  I'm requesting a way to annotate notes directly in the original document that's being generated in Evernote.  For example, say you're building a table in an Evernote note, then would like to draw a red line through some of the cells, and make a blue circle around other cells, currently those colored annotations are basically saved along with a copy of the table in a .pdf file that's attached to the note page.  Wouldn't it be great if one could simply make those annotations to a note, but NOT have to save them as a separate file!?  Doing this, if one wanted to come back and alter the original table later - adding more cells, changing the content of some cells, or deleting the annotations all together - one could.

For those that work mostly with tablets, this could be a huge game changer because they could start adding in hand written notes directly into the Evernote note space, then add typed text in that same work-space too.  Opposed to having long notes that contain multiple files, some typed and some hand written.

I'm going to mention Microsofts OneNote as a more developed version of this, I think.  Last time I looked at it, it had something similar (2011).  The problem is, it's Microsoft and try to avoid them as much as possible. 

This would be awesome if it could be done.  Regardless, keep up the great work guys.

2 replies to this idea

17 hours ago, uvb76static said:

For example, say you're building a table in an Evernote note, then would like to draw a red line through some of the cells, and make a blue circle around other cells

This would require Evernote to switch to a proprietary format.  The current enml/html will not support this type of annotation

On 28.2.2018 at 12:24 AM, uvb76static said:

I'm going to mention Microsofts OneNote as a more developed version of this, I think.  Last time I looked at it, it had something similar (2011).  The problem is, it's Microsoft and try to avoid them as much as possible. 

yes, I know that way how OneNote works - BUT, I switched back to Evernote, because OneNotes‘ approach is not so perfect as it may seem. Because, as soon as you enter new text somewhere in the OneNote note, only the typed text is moving - all annotations are fixed at it‘s position in the note -> you‘re „loosing“ your annotations because they aren‘t ‚connected‘ to the typed text.

Try to use colored text in tables for highlighting instead, may a solution for this.