Introducing 'Spaces' for Evernote Business!

• Level 5

Hi All!

We're very excited to announce the launch of Spaces for Evernote Business!

We invite you to learn more from our CEO Chris O'Neil via his recent interview with Forbes:

Forbe's Interview

Check out this guide if you're looking for information regarding how to get started with Spaces, as well as this brief demo video.

Make sure to check out the Event Calendar as we added some webinars to help our users get started with Spaces. 

Also, we've added special areas in the forums to report possible technical issues, or to provide feedback.

If you encounter a technical issue, please go here. If you have feedback, please share it here.

As always, if you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to me directly!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Guest caleb20abbey@gmail.com

pls help,, I recently backed up my notes with my phone before formatting the phone, how I am finding it difficult to locate the backup. 

pls anyone assist me

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Guest caleb20abbey@gmail.com said:

pls help,, I recently backed up my notes with my phone before formatting the phone, how I am finding it difficult to locate the backup. 

pls anyone assist me

You tacked your post onto an existing discussion.  You should start a new discussion in an appropriate forum.

Evernote is a cloud app with data stored on the server.  "backing up my notes with my phone" is not applicable

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Guest caleb20abbey@gmail.com said:

pls anyone assist me

Just install the EN app on your phone and sign in.  Your notes will be downloaded from EN’s servers. 

I have a premium personal account and a free business account. I clicked the link for a 30 day Evernote Business to try spaces but it only displays my current free business account (no Spaces).

How can I get the 30 Spaces trail when I log in with my free business account credentials?

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, Bmarkewicz1 said:

I have a premium personal account and a free business account. I clicked the link for a 30 day Evernote Business to try spaces but it only displays my current free business account (no Spaces).

How can I get the 30 Spaces trail when I log in with my free business account credentials?

I imagine you'd have to use your Admin status to create and name your spaces.  Check out the help pages and webinars mentioned above,  and try contacting support via Twitter and @EvernoteHelps for more.  (I'm not currently a user - bailed on the sign-up process with my own basic account because I already have a separate premium account)

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Feanor33 said:

As far as I can make out, you can't put notebook stacks into a space... Is that correct?

I'm seeing only Notebooks and Notes; no Stacks

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Feanor33 said:

As far as I can make out, you can't put notebook stacks into a space... Is that correct?

From a prior post by an Evernote employee (which I can't find at the moment), the answer's no, not at this time. Suggestion was made to allow import of the notebooks contained by a stack into a space as a transition step, so you can get the notebooks into the space in one step, and that seemed to make sense to them, but we'll see if it makes it into implementation.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Duane said:

Am I getting the correct impression that Evernote is essentially saying "Hey users, we heard you, and yes, you can now share stacks of notebooks! Welcome to Spaces!" 

I'm also seeing; notebooks will not be required for sharing - you can simply assign the notes to one or more Spaces

@jefito That's kind of what I said at the end of this-- that is, that the features ignore each other. But yes you can't make stacks in spaces, but a notebook in a stack can also be in a space.

@Duane That's part of it for sure :). There's a bit more to Spaces, though: pinning, notes at the space level, a cross-notebook list of recent changes.

@DTLow You can't assign a note to a Space exactly, but you can move it into one (that is, a space functions like a notebook that can also contain non-space notebooks; so moving a note into a space moves it out of its previous notebook).

• Like 1

So sneaky Pete!

I just had a call from a corporate client, using Windows Evernote Business without the Beta.  

Apparently their entire Business Company Directory is POOF! gone from their Evernote Business account.  Why was THAT not mentioned in all of the propaganda about SPACED OUT EVERNOTE? 

Is there Spaces for regular Evernote users? I would love to have the ability to split all my notes up into Work Space, Writing Space, Personal Space, Career Space. Stacking notebooks works but notebook names have to be unique, and things get mixed up and stuff. So I would love to have that feature available for Regular paid evernote accounts. 

• Like 1
Hello Evernote,
New features sound good, but there are major issues with the present feature set and apps. Instead of these new features fix/update the web UI, iOS app, etc, those are what are very important to us!

I don't think you can force business clients to use the Spaced Evernote for Business, when you have sold them a much better Evernote Business with shareable notebooks both in and out of their EBA.  Is that what is happening here? :(:huh::o  My clients are not interested in  what they know will not work for them. 

1. They are not interested in re-training their staff to "work around" features they don't want, which won't work for their organization.  
  2. Their existing Evernote Business works for them, prior to these recent changes.  
  3. When they committed to and purchased Evernote Business, it did not have these encumbrances and flaws. 

I have requested from Charlotte Boyd, "leader" of the ECC program to provide in writing that my clients HAVE to use Evernote Business with Spaces, and they are expected to change their work flow and re-train their staff to accommodate this "update".

Stay tuned - I'll let you know what she comes back with. 

- Fab Mandy, ECC @ Fabulous Filing Friends, Falkland British Columbia CANADA

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Fabulous Filing Friends said:

I don't think you can force business clients to use the Spaced Evernote for Business, when you have sold them a much better Evernote Business with shareable notebooks both in and out of their EBA.  Is that what is happening here?

We're still using separate shared notebooks.

I see benefits in the Spaces feature and am looking forward to using it when the implementation has progressed.  Right now it's too early to jump in.

• Level 5*
On 2018-03-13 at 12:45 PM, rezecib said:

so moving a note into a space moves it out of its previous notebook

This is very disappointing

13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

This is very disappointing

Yes, it is.  And it's very frustrating. If you share a notebook with someone in a Space, they get the whole Space, including the TRASH.  Seriously, they can open a note in the trash, change it with your name on it as originator, and put it where ever they want to. You don't know it's even been stolen from the TRASH. Seriously, I do not want my clients using this product. 

My Evernote for Mac desktop app started repeatedly rolling down an "Introducing Spaces" advertisement window/window shade this morning and this last time I could not dismiss it - clicking on the "X" froze the app, I couldn't continue working and I had to Force Quit.

I am a Premium subscriber and I have no interest in or intention of playing with Spaces right now. Kindly fix your software to remove this bug/ad/malware or allow Premium subscribers to dismiss it once and for all.

Untitled.png

• Sad 1

Yikes!  It just keeps getting worse!  :o 

I'm having similar problems with Evernote Business on Windows. :huh: 

I just want to roll back to the previous version, but I have not gotten a straight answer out of support about the effect that would have on my clients' data. :angry:

-Fab Mandy, ECC at Fabulous Filing Friends in Falkland British Columbia CANADA 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I was less than whelmed to have my premium version throw a Spaces advert at me today.  After the blog announcement,  and the emails,  and the comments in the Forums.  I do know this Business option exists,  and I look forward to it coming to Premium accounts in due course;  but no way do I need a Business account purely to get access to a feature that even Evernote doesn't seem to have locked down yet...  :(

Marketing department getting a bit prematurely excited perhaps? 

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  I was less than whelmed to have my premium version throw a Spaces advert at me today.  After the blog announcement,  and the emails,  and the comments in the Forums.  I do know this Business option exists,  and I look forward to it coming to Premium accounts in due course;  but no way do I need a Business account purely to get access to a feature that even Evernote doesn't seem to have locked down yet...  :(

Doesn't seem to be such a big deal to me, on the Windows client. I installed the latest beta, got the advert, closed it. Shut down Evernote, and restarted it, and didn't see the advert again. So long as it doesn't keep coming back it's no big deal. Most Evernote users don't use the forum or read the blog posts, I'd guess, and maybe don't pay attention to the emails, but everyone (except maybe the NixNoters of the world and their rogue ilk /s) uses the client, so that's how they ensure the new Spaces feature is noticed.

That being said, I don't need a business account (and it's not clear what the implications are of using the trial and then reverting back to a personal account are), and the new Spaces feature doesn't seem fully baked enough for me to want to play around with it right now. It does seem like a nice advance, and I'm looking forward to it coming to the personal clients, but I'm not in that big a hurry...

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Marketing department getting a bit prematurely excited perhaps? 

Maybe, but judging from some recent GlassDoor reviews, it may be more than just the marketing folks...

• Like 2

Here's something else they failed to mention with all the hyp about Spaced Evernote for Business:

Johanna (Evernote Help and Learning)

Mar 15, 06:19 PDT

Hi Mandy,

Thank you for your response.

We depreciated the Business Home, so you will only be able to access the published notebooks. The section with people and activity has been removed, because we found that most of our users did not access those section frequently.

To me, and to my corporate clients, that's a pretty big thing to drop and not bother to tell anyone. 

I remain,  

FAB Mandy ECC @ Fabulous Filing Friends, Falkland British Columbia CANADA

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, alwayzambitious said:

Are businesses features more important than non business features?

From a money perspective, I'd say few non business users are willing to pay for the product and fund the development of features.

>>core note taking functionality

There are various posts identifying Evernote's "core functionality"

I use Evernote as a digital filing cabinet.

The Evernote editor is ok for basic notes.  For extended features I use dedicated editors; Word/Pages for word processing, Excel/Numbers for spreadsheets ...  I store the documents as attachments to notes; Evernote works well with attachments; pdf, images, office/iwork documents, ...

Core functionality is not whether its used for note taking or cabinet. It could be that but that's not what I meant.

It's the basic features of the software that enables us to use it for whatever we desire,
Features that actually exist already but are very limited in how we access it, features that to me are low hanging fruit.

1. Editing
    1. I am not able to delete a tag using the keyboard shortcut like delete or using the menu. Just by right clicking. Users who use keyboard shortcuts perform tasks fastest in general. 
    2. If a tag is selected and I hit enter or spacebar, the tag should be editable. Even if I click it its not editable.
    3. Same thing with notebooks, currently you have to go a second screen "Notebook" to then rename. We might as well put it deep inside of preferences.

I took a look at Spaces by chance, and I have to say it looks like a  cosmetic change, at best.

They have a gif that shows a user moving notes, from one notebook to another the only difference is thats vertical.
as opposed to draggin notebooks to the left nav bar.

Is it useful? 

There is a spot for recent notes in spaces too, which at first seems not too different from the recent notes on the left nav.

Its not really new its just presented as such because it uses the notes from within the space.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, alwayzambitious said:

Are businesses features more important than non business features?

Yes. No. Sometimes. 

OK, the way I read it is that Evernote is trying to expand its business offering because that's a hot and potentially lucrative market for them and others (Slack, Dropbox, Google, etc., etc.). Information sharing is a natural need to the business case, and less so (but not non-existence for the non-business case (also remember that you can use the personal versions in business). So there's valid impetus for Evernote to improve their note sharing capabilities, and that's what Spaces is for, primarily, but they're also telling us that they offer Spaces for the personal editions as well.

At the same time there are core elements, like the note editor, that's part of all Evernote clients, and that also needs improvement, whether it's fixing bugs or adding new functionality. And there's valid impetus for that as well.

So with a finite amount of development resources at hand, you tend to get advances in both areas in the same time frames.

7 hours ago, alwayzambitious said:

Any improvements to the core note taking functionality coming down the pike?

Of course, as it's continued to improve as long as I've been using Evernote. But right now, it appears that getting Spaces solidified is the big push for the moment.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, alwayzambitious said:

I took a look at Spaces by chance, and I have to say it looks like a  cosmetic change, at best.

You should read around the forum for more information given out about Spaces by various Evernote employees who've been posting: @rezecib and @Leo Gong. Spaces are evolving, and if they go the way that it's implied, they will be a lot more cosmetic, certainly a lot more cosmetic and integrated than Stacks. 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 28/02/2018 at 00:58, Shane D. said:

Hi All!

We're very excited to announce the launch of Spaces for Evernote Business!

We invite you to learn more from our CEO Chris O'Neil via his recent interview with Forbes:

Forbe's Interview

Check out this guide if you're looking for information regarding how to get started with Spaces, as well as this brief demo video.

Make sure to check out the Event Calendar as we added some webinars to help our users get started with Spaces. 

Also, we've added special areas in the forums to report possible technical issues, or to provide feedback.

If you encounter a technical issue, please go here. If you have feedback, please share it here.

As always, if you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to me directly!

Any timeframe for Evernote Spaces being made available to Evernote Personal users?

Dear Evernote,

I'm compelled to write a complaint here about the unrelenting marketing for "Spaces" and upgrading to "Premuim".  I am and have been a "Plus" subscriber for a few years now, and have no plans on upgrading to Premium or use Spaces.  Please make it possible to suppress the constant pop-ups, reminders, and emails asking me to do so. 

It's getting REALLY annoying to the point where I am thinking of cancelling and no longer promoting Evernote to others.

Thank you

OMG do I ever agree with this Tim In PA!  The Spaced propaganda is thick! I'm very annoyed with it, and my users are complaining about it and forwarding me screen prints, emails, etc. asking how to make it STOP.  I believe we should be informed, but ENOUGH.  It seems the Evernote 'machine' is insisting that we use the Spaced Evernote version, and is relentless on pushing it.  Choice, custom-ability,  flexibility - these are things that need to be maintained when an app wants to serve many different types of customers across a huge range of use situations.  I am an ECC, with several Evernote for Business clients.  At this time, the Spaced Evernote does not serve most if any of my customers applications.  That the Evernote "machine" is sending emails and causing pop-ups to all of my users is creating a ton of hand holding and explaining that is really not necessary, and frankly costing me time and money.  That they are also marketing directly to the users that I have brought to Evernote, with the intention of moving them up the price/subscription levels, is undermining my efforts and stealing directly from my business within their model. 

The changes that have been happening since November 2017 are greatly devaluing an awesome product. I would much prefer the Evernote 'machine' spends time getting rid of bugs and problems.  Please Tim In PA, hang in there.  I am hopeful that enough of us being clear about this new marketing assault will make them stop so that we can get some work done with their app, rather than working at clearing the muck out of the way that prevents us from using this truly useful tool.  

I was quite put off by Evernote opening a new tab in a desktop browser, on several desktops, to advertise Spaces.  The email sent to me was OK.  Makes me wonder what else they are into.   I've already deleted the Facebook and FB Messenger apps off all my mobile devices (a long time ago).  I hope I don't have to walk away from Evernote.

Spaces is out yet the latest revision of Evernote for Windows desktop is glitchy where it was not before, appears to have lost some search functionality, and in the Android app they still have not added a one touch icon on the editing bar to insert a date and time stamp into notes you are creating or editing.

Please, I know you have to have big picture for where the company is going to in order to survive but lets get the small stuff right and keep it right.

WINDOWS DESKTOP - Please allow full scrolling in the note.  The new update makes you scroll the pdf's you come across unless you use the very right part of the screen.  I like that you can scroll in the pdf but I would like it to be voluntary not mandatory by clicking with in the pdf window.  My guess is most people don't scroll at the right side of the screen(maybe out of habit) but this is very very annoying.  Everyone in my office has been complaining.  It is wore for touch lap tops.

I cannot find a way to set reminders anywhere in SPACES. Please please please tell me you didn't launch this without reminders. I can see tags are coming later, which is disappointing, but reminders are absolutely necessary. Am I missing something? Do I just need more coffee and its right in front of my face?