When I start Evernote it puts an icon in the system tray and then I have to click on the icon in the system tray to open Evernote. Before I updated to the latest version it used to just open the program and not do this system tray annoyance. I've tried going back a couple of versions/builds, but it seems stuck starting in the system tray. Anyone else having this issue or know how to fix it?

• Like 1

Have you tried ENDING TASK for the tray icon? Go the task management and end the task. I've seen the tray icon being stuck before unless you do the END TASK option within Windows.

• Level 5

Evernote has put an icon in the system tray for as long as I have used it (I have the setting @dconnet refers to turned on). It can occasionally be handy for restarting the Evernote interface, or for exiting EN completely. But it's never required me to click on that icon to start EN. If @TK0047 and @dconnet's suggestions don't fix it, you might try restarting the computer, and in desperation even reinstalling Evernote (after having backed up any local notebooks). But hopefully you won't have to go that far.

Thanks for the replies, maybe I didn't explain the issue well enough...

What happens is when I click on Evernote to start it, it puts an icon in the system tray and then I have to click on the icon to get Evernote to actually appear on my screen. Multiple steps to do what used to only take one click. I've reverted back to version 6.7.5825 and this version will start Evernote correctly, with one click, it also puts the icon in the system tray, but it starts the program.

If I update to anything later, when I click on the Evernote icon, it only puts the icon in the system tray, it doesn't open Evernote until I click on the icon in the system tray, multiple steps. I've restarted, I've looked at options within Evernote, I've looked at its registry settings, I wasn't able to find anything that would help.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, sandman9669 said:

What happens is when I click on Evernote to start it, it puts an icon in the system tray and then I have to click on the icon to get Evernote to actually appear on my screen. Multiple steps to do what used to only take one click. I've reverted back to version 6.7.5825 and this version will start Evernote correctly, with one click, it also puts the icon in the system tray, but it starts the program.

If I update to anything later, when I click on the Evernote icon, it only puts the icon in the system tray, it doesn't open Evernote until I click on the icon in the system tray, multiple steps. I've restarted, I've looked at options within Evernote, I've looked at its registry settings, I wasn't able to find anything that would help.

You might try getting the EN window how you like it and then do a File - Exit.  Then start EN up again to see if it stuck.

On 3/6/2018 at 12:06 PM, sandman9669 said:

That sounds like a bug we fixed a while ago - the app was remembering its last state - minimized - and restarting that way. Try what @CalS suggested - that ensures the data is properly flushed to the registry.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed the same thing since the last upgrade.  Before the upgrade, I normally just hit the icon in the tray and EN would open in it's last state/note. Now when I hit the icon, I only get a chime audio response.  I then hit the icon again and the EN window opens. When it opens, the window is much smaller than when I left it and no note or notebook are open (No matching notes found).  When I close EN I always use File/Exit.  The problem seems to be that it no longer remembers the last state when exiting.

• 4 weeks later...

Exact same thing is happening for me as pgaus and sandman 9669.  - Since the last upgrade when I click the icon, I only get a chime audio response.  I then click the icon again and the Evernote window opens. When it opens, the window is much smaller than when I left it and no note or notebook are open (No matching notes found).  When I close EN I always use File/Exit.  The problem seems to be that it no longer remembers the last state when exiting.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned something new on this subject that seems to solve it for me.  Normally, I use EN in full screen mode.  That seems to be the problem.  If I resize the window to be almost full screen, then when I close it and reopen it, it will work just fine.

• 5 weeks later...

Setting EN to nearly full screen, then doing File/Exit, makes it work next time for me.  However,  if I later maximise the screen (which is what I want) it will revert to starting from the task tray again. So - if I exit the application while maximised, it will start from the task tray next time.

It's clearly a defect - is there any indication from Evernote of a planned fix?

• 9 months later...

Exact same problem here. I've been experiencing this issue across various releases which, as pointed out above, is solved by keeping the main window unmaximazed.

Since I'm on a Surface Pro the issue will occur every time I'm in tablet mode (all apps open in full screen), and replicate in computer mode until I unmaximize EN's main window, exit and reopen, til the next time I'll be in tablet mode….. 

• 4 months later...
On 3/18/2018 at 6:59 PM, pgaus said:

Noticed the same thing since the last upgrade.  Before the upgrade, I normally just hit the icon in the tray and EN would open in it's last state/note. Now when I hit the icon, I only get a chime audio response.  I then hit the icon again and the EN window opens. When it opens, the window is much smaller than when I left it and no note or notebook are open (No matching notes found).  When I close EN I always use File/Exit.  The problem seems to be that it no longer remembers the last state when exiting.

Hello everyone - I am facing the same problem more than a year later. I am running Evernote 6.20.2.8626 (308626) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750) from Microsoft store. Is there any way to fix this? 

• Level 5

I have made the same experience, both with the Microsoft store version on Windows and with the Mac store version for my MacBook Pro. I now always take the download directly from EN.

What works fine is the iOS AppStore app, which is good, because there would be no alternative.

• 1 month later...

I've had the same problem as the OP since I downloaded the app, although I've only had the app (from Microsoft store) for a couple months. Seems to be some sort of bug, but it was the strangest sequence of actions that fixed it for me.

When the app is closed and there's no icon in the system tray, I open the program, and no window opens, jus the icon appears in the tray. I click on the icon, and a small window pops up. I maximize it, close the app, then the exact same thing happens every time I try to open the app. 

Here's the fix: after clicking the icon in the tray that now opens up a small window, instead of going straight to maximize it, manually adjust the size of the window to be larger.  I happened to make it close to the full monitor size, but I don't think that's important. Then I did a File -> Exit (so the icon is gone from the system tray), and the next time I opened the app, it opened straight to the now larger size (without having to click the system tray icon). I closed and tested a couple times, and it still worked. Then I maximized the window before closing it, and now it opens maximized each time like it should, when opening the app from fully closed state. Such a weird glitch. 

• 1 year later...