Jump to content
NIzi

How to Pop up PDF file as in older versions

Recommended Posts

In older versions, You could click a button on top of the attached pdf file in a note, and pdf file would instantly open in an Adobe Reader or Acrobate whatever. Now, pdf is kinda synced in, and you have to browse through it inside Evernote app. The only way I have found is to save as the file onto my computer and then open from the saved file. Do you know how I can open instantly the way before. I really did not like this new update

Share this post


Link to post

Hi.  If you right-click the the document and choose 'Open' you can see it in your choice of app.  Not an instant 'open',  but pretty quick if you need it....

Share this post


Link to post

Same here. That new inline viewer is a big step backwards, IMHO. Very disappointing. 

But your tip does work, gazumped. Thanks for pointing that out (it's really not obvious).

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/25/2018 at 3:23 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  If you right-click the the document and choose 'Open' you can see it in your choice of app.  Not an instant 'open',  but pretty quick if you need it....

I did a quick test, and I believe that you can do the following to enable opening in your favorite application by default:

  • Open File Explorer and navigate to a file of the type you're interested in (PDF in this case)
  • Right-click on int, and select "Properties"
  • In the Properties dialog, on the General tab, look for "Opens with". Click the associated "Change" button.
  • Select the application you prefer, and click "OK"
  • Back in the Properties dialog, click "OK"

Back in Evernote, the application that you've chosen is now the default for this file type. I don;t know of a way to enable single click activation, bit if you're viewing the file as an attachment, a double-click should take you to the document in your favorite application. Otherwise, right-click / Open should do the same thing.

Note that this is just changing the OS's default handler for that file type; that's (evidently) what Evernote is using as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jefito said:

if you're viewing the file as an attachment,

Yuck, for my use case anyway.  I guess the main issues for folks here is that the old PDF viewer had a single click to open the PDF and an icon to grab to drag the PDF to another app.  New viewer is a productivity hit.

ScreenClip.png.d27c342511a6327c2f8bf826a3dc306d.png

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, CalS said:

I guess the main issues for folks here is that the old PDF viewer had a single click to open the PDF and an icon to grab to drag the PDF to another app.

Couldn't help out the single-click issue, but double-click works, at least for me, and uses the OS configured application.

Drag'n'drop to a different application is outside my remit... I'm not a bit PDF user, except for viewing, and for that I'm not all that that particular.

Share this post


Link to post

You highlighted the key methods with the new PDF reader.  Just unfortunate we now have new ways of doing things that take longer than they did in the past.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, CalS said:

Just unfortunate we now have new ways of doing things that take longer than they did in the past.  :(

Isn't that sort of a general description of getting older?? :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, jefito said:

Isn't that sort of a general description of getting older?? :)

That hurts, but so so true...  Unfortunately software is supposed to go in the opposite direction.  :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, CalS said:

New viewer is a productivity hit.

ScreenClip.png.d27c342511a6327c2f8bf826a3dc306d.png

Agreed. I have personnel that are holding off on updating because of these changes.

Limitations:

Right click > Open as opposed to Doubleclick PDF or Single click the Open icon

Feature Removed as opposed to Drag from Evernote/drop in a separate application

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, ybp9003 said:

Right click > Open as opposed to Doubleclick PDF or Single click the Open icon

Double-clicking the PDF works for me...

Share this post


Link to post

How can you install previous version of Evernote.  The new update and no ability to drag and drop pdfs is a deal breaker.  

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, jefito said:

Double-clicking the PDF works for me...

Really? Do you double-click on a certain portion of the PDF to make this work? Is your PDF open for viewing or is it just an attachment in the note?

Share this post


Link to post

Only works if PDF is viewed as an attachment.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, deliaknight said:

How can you install previous version of Evernote.  The new update and no ability to drag and drop pdfs is a deal breaker.  

FileHippo has previous versions of Evernote: https://filehippo.com/download_evernote/

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, CalS said:

Only works if PDF is viewed as an attachment.

Yes, that's a condition; otherwise you need to to right-click / Open on the content pottion of the PDF (not the viewer header)

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CalS said:

Only works if PDF is viewed as an attachment.

Too bad. I had my hopes up for a second there. Almost none of the PDFs attached are viewed as attachments. Guess this leaves me no choice but to:

1. EDIT PDF: Right-Click > Open

2. Copy to 3rd Party App: Save file locally > drag file from saved location into 3rd party app > delete said file    :Blec:

I have to perform these steps many times daily. Definitely a reduction in productivity. Add to that the issue of not even being able to smoothly enter text into the app and you've got signs that there are some core programming problems that need to be resolved.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, ybp9003 said:

Too bad. I had my hopes up for a second there. Almost none of the PDFs attached are viewed as attachments. Guess this leaves me no choice but to:

1. EDIT PDF: Right-Click > Open

2. Copy to 3rd Party App: Save file locally > drag file from saved location into 3rd party app > delete said file    :Blec:

I have to perform these steps many times daily. Definitely a reduction in productivity. Add to that the issue of not even being able to smoothly enter text into the app and you've got signs that there are some core programming problems that need to be resolved.

Ditto. 

  1. I now RightClick - Open to get to Adobe. 
  2. But to copy a PDF to another app I use the Download icon to save to desktop as opposed to Save As and then drag to target app and then delete from the desktop.  Still yuck.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...