Why I stopped using Evernote

Jon10

I was using Evernote to store passwords.

Then my docment became 3 documents - conflicting changes, and 2 versions of the original.

So I don't know which has the latest passwords and with 2 docs with the same name I have updated more than one.

Then when I try to search for a keyword, it finds nothing. Sometimes after much shuffling about I find little yellow markers, but I had to scroll there myself.

On the phone the software simply stalls and typing is mega slow across wi-fi.

I did try to stich together the 3 docs but it was too much work. I left it as an archive and switched to Google Keep.

Honestly, as a text editor with a simple find function it failed miserably. It's too bloated and too slow.

• Level 5*

I agree with gaz. Evernote is not designed to store passwords. It lacks the security features and some of the password-specific features that make password managers so reliable and convenient to use. It is a little like saying that you are not satisfied with the nutritional value of oreos, so you are switching to chocolate chip cookies. A poor analogy, perhaps, but I am going to have some lovely Japanese sweets today, so sweets are my intellectual filter today. Anyhow, you need a password manager, not a notetaking program.

As for bloated and slow... generally not in my experience. I am guessing that the bloat (unnecessary features) are things you don’t use, but other people do. Do you have a specific example?

And, I am surprised that Evernote is slow with a single note full of passwords. That sounds like a problem that Evernote needs to solve. The sync issue you experienced sounds frustrating, but we’d need more information before we could figure out why that happened. For example, if you ha e a single note open on two or three devices at once, and you are making changes to it on all of the platforms (especially if tou lack Internet connecticity at the time), sync conflicts are inevitable.

I agree too that using a password manager app is a better solution, I personnaly use LastPass.

On the slow issue, to me Evernote is a slow application.

W10 app is slow, iPhone app is slow. When I type in a text it is slow. When I open the app it is slow. When I search it is slow. 

This is not compatible with a password storage system where you have to be quick. But this is not compatible either with a note taking app in general.

• Level 5*
On 2/25/2018 at 11:45 AM, Jon10 said:

Then my docment became 3 documents - conflicting changes, and 2 versions of the original.

So I don't know which has the latest passwords and with 2 docs with the same name I have updated more than one.

Then when I try to search for a keyword, it finds nothing. Sometimes after much shuffling about I find little yellow markers, but I had to scroll there myself.

On the phone the software simply stalls and typing is mega slow across wi-fi.

I did try to stich together the 3 docs but it was too much work. I left it as an archive and switched to Google Keep.

Honestly, as a text editor with a simple find function it failed miserably. It's too bloated and too slow.

May be too late now, but the mantra for avoiding conflicts is to sync when you enter and exit a platform. 

• Level 5*
On 2/25/2018 at 1:45 PM, Jon10 said:

There are many use cases that Evernote makes sense for, but password storage is not one of them. There are many dedicated password apps that have desktop and mobile clients. I think you will be much happier using a dedicated app for this.

Archived