Insertion Pointer disappears or moves

In the notes list (middle pane), I enter a search term, which filters the displayed notes. I click one of the notes and start editing it. I switch to an app, and then switch back to Evernote. But when I start typing, the insertion pointer either disappears, or moves to the top of note. For example, if I press the down arrow, I expect the blinking cursor to move down one line so I can edit the next line. Instead, the blinking cursor disappears, and the entire note scrolls down as if the note hasn't been clicked in. If I switch apps again and return to Evernote, now the blinking cursor is at the top of the note, instead of where I left it.

This seems to only happen when I have a search term entered in the middle pane and when modified notes are synced. Once I remove the search term from the middle pane, then the insertion pointer mostly stays where I left it.

The instability of the insertion pointer is very annoying and is driving me to other note taking tools. I have similar insertion pointer problems on Evernote for iOS.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue. I am using the "Note List" and "Note Panel" view. I click on a note on the left, then click in the note on the right to get the cursor in the text of the note. I then press "Ctrl+End" to move the cursor to the bottom of the note, BUT THE CURSOR DISAPPEARS. I have to click back into the note a second time to get the cursor to say in the note. Very frustrating.

Windows 8

Evernote version 6.10.3.6921 (306921) Public (CE Build ce-1.39.4387)

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/2/2018 at 13:21, Carl Stalhood dijo:

This seems to only happen when I have a search term entered in the middle pane and when modified notes are synced. Once I remove the search term from the middle pane, then the insertion pointer mostly stays where I left it.

I have the same problem. The cursor dissapears when I have some text in the search box. It's very annoying.

Windows 10.

Evernote version: 6.11.2.7027 (307027) Public (CE Build ce-43.0.4829).

Same problem.  Typing in Evernote, with a query term in the middle pane (I almost ALWAYS have a query term in the middle pane; that's how I find the note I want to edit).  Alt-Tab in Windows to go to another program.  Copy some text into the copy - paste buffer.  Alt - tab back to Evernote.  Where is my cursor?  Nowhere to be found. 

If I Ctrl-V to paste the text that is in the copy - paste buffer, it simply has no effect.  The paste buffer is not pasted.  (Perhaps, sometimes, the text seems to appear at the VERY BOTTOM of the note).  More usually, I have to click with the mouse cursor to restore the Evernote cursor to where it was before I left the program by Alt-Tab.

THIS BEHAVIOR IS TOTALLY NEW TO A RECENT VERSION OF EVERNOTE; I HAVE BEEN USING EVERNOTE FOR YEARS WITHOUT IT BEHAVING THIS WAY.  IS IT A BUG OR A FEATURE? i DON'T KNOW, BUT, IF THE EVERNOTE DEVELOPERS THINKS IT IS A FEATURE, IT IS A VERY VERY BAD FEATURE.  PLEASE EITHER TEACH US HOW TO AVOID THIS FEATURE (IS IT AN OPTION?) OR REMOVE THIS FEATURE, OR FIX THIS BUG.

Note, if you clear the query term from the middle pane, then the cursor does NOT seem to get lost.

Windows 10

6.11.2.7027 (307027) Public (CE Build ce-43.0.4829)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5
On 5/1/2018 at 10:05 AM, chuckepstein-1 said:

THIS BEHAVIOR IS TOTALLY NEW TO A RECENT VERSION OF EVERNOTE; I HAVE BEEN USING EVERNOTE FOR YEARS WITHOUT IT BEHAVING THIS WAY.  IS IT A BUG OR A FEATURE?

If you search for "cursor" in this forum, you'll find a number of recent threads that discuss this bug. They also report it as new to a recent update, and anywhere from annoying to completely work-disabling. Not sure whether any of those threads offer solutions, other than downgrading to a still-working earlier version until this gets fixed. I've stayed on 6.5 precisely to avoid this kind of nonsense that's been showing up in the recent updates.

Same here. It's super annoying.

I also noticed that if I open a note in a new window, the problem will only happen once in that specific window.

And that's why I open tons of notes in new window to avoid the problem for now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Came to these forums to report on this.

There are several annoyances in the design related to this, on both Windows and IOS:

• When app-switching in the Windows app, cursor focus gets lost.
  • When creating a new note, the default behavior is that the app on both Windows and IOS moves the cursor, even if you have started typing. This is seriously disturbing.
    It seems some function that comes late in chronological order of GUI loading tries to "set the cursor" in a position. Problem is that happens so long after the GUI has been loaded and the user starts typing, that it is a real annoyance. The "function" to move the cursor, if that was the intention, is also hard to understand the benefit from.

EDIT

After upgrade to 6.13.14.7474 (307474) Public (CE Build ce-48.0.5483), some of the problems still remains. For example, when clicking to insert the cursor at a specific place in the text and then pasting, the view jumps to the bottom of the note and no pasting is done. One has to go back to the wanted place again, click twice, then pasting works.

A never-ending story....   Those who went back to older, astonishingly bug-free versions (6 or 7) find themselves locked out after the recent security issue.

The "actual" 6.13. version (6.13.14.7474) has still the nasty bugs, I wondered why to launch such a version.

However, I recommend to work with the 6.14.3.7610 Pre-Release version (enable beta versions in options first) which, to my surprise, seems to work fine - so far. Knock on wood.

• 3 months later...

This is a new problem for me...cursor/mouse pointer keeps disappearing in EN for Windows. Sometimes it comes back on its own, but I usually have to close and restart EN. It's been happening all day today. It's mid-November and this was supposedly fixed by an update over the summer. It's very frustrating. Is there anything I can do on my end as a workaround, so I can keep using EN for Windows? Otherwise, I'll have to stick to the web version until this bug is fixed. ?

• 3 weeks later...

People have complained that they are unable to move their cursor because it suddenly disappears out of nowhere. This issue happens because of various reasons like some error in the driver, driver updated to a newer version, you have an outdated driver in your system or mouse device disabled for some unknown reason. We have some solutions here but in case you want to go for more solutions then you can visit this website https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-cursor-disappearing-on-windows-10/.

Method 1 Enabling the Mouse Device: You can make your system’s cursor work again by enabling the mouse device. For this purpose you will hold Windows key + R and write main.cpl and click Enter. Here Device Settings tab is chosen. In case your tab isn’t chosen tap the tab key from your keyboard. Tapping tab till the dotted square comes to one of the tabs of the window. Utilize arrow keys when the tab is chosen to gain access to the Device Settings tab. Click the tab key till your dotted square comes to the Enable button and then tap Enter.

Method 2 Changing Pointer Settings: Hold Windows key + click R and write main.cpl and press Enter. Utilize arrow keys to switch between the tabs. In case your tab isn’t chosen, click the tab key. Clicking tab till the focus comes to one of the tabs of the window. Use arrow keys to go to the Pointer Options after the tab is chosen. Then tap the Tab key till you come to the option Enhance pointer precision. Check the option of Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key. Come to the option of Apply and click Enter. Then click Windows key to open the Start menu and then the Tab key to navigate between the sections. Utilize the arrow keys to move to the power option and tap Enter. You can now choose if to shut down or reboot utilize the arrow keys and then click Enter.

Archived