Evernote for Windows 6.10 Beta 1

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi Folks - 

We've released version 6.10 Beta 1. You can download it here or by checking for updates. For Beta 1 we've mostly focused our time on crash and bug fixes. I've called out the key ones in the release notes below. Please let us know if you spot any issues or have requests for our next beta. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team

----------------------------------------------------------

Release Notes for Windows version 6.10

Note: Versions 6.10 is supported in OS versions Windows 7 and up.

Fixed:

• An intermittent issue where notes are sometimes not loaded when on-demand sync option is selected
  • An issue where local notebooks are sometimes missing
  • An issue where a new line is sometimes introduced after copy/pasting text into a note
  • An issue where an audio note is not saved when switching away from a note while sync is hapening
  • An issue where Evernote can no longer be launched if the database folder is manually deleted
  • An issue where encrypted text is not always shown after providing the passphrase
  • An issue where annotation is not possible if an attached PDF file name includes "." (dot symbol)

Improved:

• UI tweaks to the sidebar to reduce the size of the new note button and to make the list of notebooks and shortcuts easier to scan

65 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Austin G said:

No. I'm seeing the same thing on my end.  We're working on a fix. 

Good to hear - I was just wondering if it would be addressed in a fix sometime soon. Your message indicates that soon may be in the next week or two? OTOH, I am using an older version, so I prefer it to be fixed properly...!!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, FactMan said:

Good to hear - I was just wondering if it would be addressed in a fix sometime soon. Your message indicates that soon may be in the next week or two? OTOH, I am using an older version, so I prefer it to be fixed properly...!!

Yeah sooner would be better for me as well.  I tend not to downgrade, don't like having to recreate my settings and toolbars and saved views, etc.  A nice enhancement would be to save all those preferences somewhere...

• Ex Employees
On 2/27/2018 at 1:03 PM, CalS said:

Hey Austin,

Out of interest can you move a note to a local notebook with this build?

No. I'm seeing the same thing on my end.  We're working on a fix. 

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, eric99 said:

I even wonder if there exist some kind of user manual describing the detailed current behaviour. That would be a good start for both developers and SQA to prevent regression...

Not to mention we poor souls who don't quite get it when things don't work as they once did....  The meme is an attempt at humor, no one take it too seriously, please.

download.jpg.5e9a987121e5dc2614b3c44e66f12692.jpg

26 minutes ago, EdH said:

I just wonder if there are any testing scripts that are used before pushing builds?

Like, create note, move to notebook. :D

I even wonder if there exist some kind of user manual describing the detailed current behaviour. That would be a good start for both developers and SQA to prevent regression...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, CalS said:

Yeah.  I found i could move the note after I forced a sync.  I’m assuming ithis and the fact notes can’t be moved to Local notebooks are related to An issue where local notebooks are sometimes missing.  So two issues for the price of one I didn’t have.  :ph34r:

I just wonder if there are any testing scripts that are used before pushing builds?

Like, create note, move to notebook. :D

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, EdH said:

Is anyone having issues where Evernote refuses to move a new note to a different notebook?

All of my notes start in my @inbox notebook. I tried moving some this morning and they simply got changed back to @inbox. The only fix was to change my notebook focus, then back to @inbox, then move them. This happened once earlier this week and wrote it off to sunspots, but it seems it is a real bug in this build.

Yeah.  I found i could move the note after I forced a sync.  I’m assuming ithis and the fact notes can’t be moved to Local notebooks are related to An issue where local notebooks are sometimes missing.  So two issues for the price of one I didn’t have.  :ph34r:

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, EdH said:

telling me every time I move a note to a shared notebook I am moving it to a shared notebook?

We're seeing this on Macs too.  Just started5a98233b93152_ScreenShot2018-03-01at07_57_41.png.330574afe158c63275e5ff55eb8313cd.png

Even worse; I'm not moving from/to shared notebooks

• Level 5*

Is anyone having issues where Evernote refuses to move a new note to a different notebook?

All of my notes start in my @inbox notebook. I tried moving some this morning and they simply got changed back to @inbox. The only fix was to change my notebook focus, then back to @inbox, then move them. This happened once earlier this week and wrote it off to sunspots, but it seems it is a real bug in this build.

• Level 5*

Does anyone know how to get Evernote to quit telling me every time I move a note to a shared notebook I am moving it to a shared notebook? This just started this week. I get the first warning, but it has never warned me EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. before. 

Perusing through settings didn't uncover any alerts/warnings to check/uncheck.

• Level 5*
On 2/25/2018 at 5:54 PM, CalS said:

Bug report, I think.

I scan receipts and store them in a notebook of their own.  I use the Thumbnail view for displaying these notes, 5 wide.  EN became unresponsive when I selected my Receipts notebook, did not do this before.  Obviously most of the receipt notes are PDFs.  A line appears in the activity log re Starting EvernoteSubProcess.exe and then that's it.  Bad thing is I can't change the view since EN is unresponsive once I select the notebook.

I noticed the first three of the notes thumbnails were not displaying in the note list area.  I restarted EN and moved the three from the receipts notebook.  I added them back to the receipts notebook one at a time.  EN did not become unresponsive after any of the moves.  Things appear to be working.  I do a File - Exit from EN and start back up and EN is unresponsive again when I select the receipts notebook. 

So something is amiss with one of the three notes I'm guessing.

This is still happening.  The CPU has been cranking at 35% for the last 10 minutes. some of the thumbnails are cycling from blank to thumbnail, one is cycling from the top portion of the PDF to all of the PDF.  Can't look at the receipts notebook at the moment.

6.7 still works fine with the same display settings.  I noticed a difference in the "thumbnail".  On 6.7 almost all of the PDF is displayed, in this release just the top of the PDF shows.  Don't know if this is a 6.9 or a 6.10 thing.  I'm guessing 6.10 based upon the issue in the first paragraph?   Time to close the program, it be hung.  :(

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

Not sure of the motivation, someone said support costs somewhere as well, but for sure the feature/function went downhill with the change.

I despise the PDF viewer in the Windows app now. Hate it. I prefer now to put them as an icon and just open in an external product. The Foxit viewer it previously rendered with was much MUCH better.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, eric99 said:

The switch to Google stuff is probably pushed by Evernote's CEO former head of Google Canada. From a manager's view, this seems to be a good idea, but apparently, the chrome PDF viewer is a clear mismatch considering all broken features...

Not sure of the motivation, someone said support costs somewhere as well, but for sure the feature/function went downhill with the change.

3 hours ago, CalS said:

Try 6.7.  I think the new viewer was introduced in 6.8.

The switch to Google stuff is probably pushed by Evernote's CEO former head of Google Canada. From a manager's view, this seems to be a good idea, but apparently, the chrome PDF viewer is a clear mismatch considering all broken features...

• Level 5*
On 3/3/2018 at 6:38 AM, EdH said:

FWIW - confirmed. Create new note and try to move it. Won't move.

Create new note, try to move, fails, force sync, move, it moves.

Ugh. This IS. THE. WORST.

Now it is messing up merging of notes.

• Add 2-3 notes.
  • Make changes - like to the subject.
  • Merge notes
  • Only the merged note is correct. The other two (in my example of 3) are kept in the notebook, not deleted, because I suppose this bug is preventing the notes from being moved to the trash notebook.

I am thankful these were close enough together on the same screen I could delete them. Had they been spread out, part of a search, and a larger number of notes, this would have been a mess to clean up.

Has anyone at Evernote acknowledged this bug and confirmed it is being worked on, or can we expect it to be released to the general population in the next build?

• Evernote Expert

Had to login to give some feedback about some terrible performances of the latest version. @Chantal Leonard

1. Unable to move a note from Notebook to another. This just is not working.
  2. The cross-editor between the Windows and Android client has become so unusable. A simple text only long note, the Android editor gets stuck and takes time to load. Once loaded, and make some changes, i come back and i find that the formatting ( long Text-Only note with lots of Bullets and Indented text) has gone for a toss. I have had to make manual corrections several times on this note. Please fix important issues like the editor before all the PR nonsense of so called upcoming features , that you guys can throw up on your Blog. Seriously. At times, it becomes even unbearable for die-hard evernote users to use such harsh language, because the priorities all seem to be messed up at the top.
  3. Freeze issues. Started to appear ever since the Version 5.0 came ( the One where the Client underwent huge design changes and new features like Shortcuts etc were used. Now, thats been almost 2-3 years, and we still havent resorted to fixing them).
  4. Real time Search in Windows is a utopian dream. In this regard, the Android client works great, i must admit. But from Windows 5.0 onwards, the moment i click the search icon, it takes several moments to respond before it can allow me to type through. Even the auto Search recommender has not been working since years. Totally terrible in reality when the so called promo videos make it look like zip& zap.
  5. Blue Wheel of Death - Some times in the middle, Evernote just stops responding. If we wait for some time (wait times can range between 10 seconds to 20 - 25 seconds,), the client comes back and then we can use as normal. If we try to force it, the client crashes. I only have to close it and open again.

So much needs to be done guys. Please focus and fix these issues. You guys are the best. But you guys are the worst, too. Like Linda of the Android client , who was a very active beta tester has quit testing due to data loss, I am really wondering if it is worth doing beta testing here anymore.

A couple of problems in this release that I"m noticing extensively.

1) a lot of crashes - currently I'm travelling and have some very spotty internet - I have EN on this laptop set for on demand sync - sitting here with some bad/slow internet right now and I get a lot of crashing when the note is "downloading note content".  EN just "disappears" (closes without warning) - but it is staying in memory and I have to enter task manager to kill both processes and restart EN again.

2) with those crashes, the note tool bar resets - I posted the bug a while back and though it might have been on EN updates only - but it resets on these crashes too.

• Level 5*

Bug Report.

I now have two notes showing as shared, contained in Workchat notes.  I have not shared ANY notes with anyone.  When I right click and select share the message is shared with 0 people.  How do I remove the share to no one on these notes?

• Level 5*

Probably not the place to report, but...

I have been dealing with fonts changing between the PC and IOS.  Stumbled onto the fact that it occurs reliably in a note (a new blank note in particular) if I drag text to it from another note.  Both notes use the default font.

Did a quick ENML check and a drag/drop adds styling whereas copy paste does not.  This styling I am assuming causes IOS to display the text differently than the default font.  Seems to me copy/paste or drag/drop between default font notes should stay default across platforms.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Bug confirmed (seen this mentioned elsewhere I think but can't find the link).  Earlier today I created two different new notes.  Came back to do something with them and found they both looked identical - completely the same content.  Checked the URL associated with each note,  and one led to the correct page for that note,  the other URL led to the page for my other clip,  which I promptly copy and pasted back into the note body so it is now restored.  Looked briefly at the history option,  and that would also have worked.  But weird: one note clones into (and overwrites) another ???  (Windows 10,  fast PC,  current Evernote beta.)

The same happened to me like a month ago.

• Level 5*

Also - not sure whether this is a recent change or something related to the last release,  and not clear whether this is app or Clipper related,  but I now get a frequent yellow warning flash from Firefox when clipping - something along the lines of "code in this extension is causing Firefox to run slowly"  (Like I said,  it's a flash!)

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Bug confirmed (seen this mentioned elsewhere I think but can't find the link).  Earlier today I created two different new notes.  Came back to do something with them and found they both looked identical - completely the same content.  Checked the URL associated with each note,  and one led to the correct page for that note,  the other URL led to the page for my other clip,  which I promptly copy and pasted back into the note body so it is now restored.  Looked briefly at the history option,  and that would also have worked.  But weird: one note clones into (and overwrites) another ???  (Windows 10,  fast PC,  current Evernote beta.)

19 hours ago, CalS said:

The first four happened in an earlier release, and agree not good to have lost them.  For the fifth, try right clicking in the note and select save attachment.  

Yes I only recently updated evernote to see if problems with simplifying formatting has been fixed. I stay with what works as long as possible as I don't trust Evernote to make my life easier with updates, I then went to the Beta to see if Evernote had see there error in judgment with the new PDF viewer, but no.

I already dragged the PDf to Evernote for safekeeping I could see it in the thumbnail why should I have to be trying to recover it. I what to trust evernote to remember stutt but they are making it hard.

I am invested in Evernote but if I wasn't I would be gone. Just look at the number of bug fixes that relate to people not been able to get there data! Do Evernote want to be taken seriously or are they making a toy that has a smaller new note button?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Jon lowbank said:
  • Easily Scroll note without scrolling PDF's
  • Ability to drag PDFs to Gmail and other applications. (a deal breaker)
  • Ability to drag PDFs to other Evernote windows. (a deal breaker)
  • Double click a FDF and view in my system viewer. 
  • See attached screenshot where PDF shows in thumbnail but not in note. (lost Data !!!)

The first four happened in an earlier release, and agree not good to have lost them.  For the fifth, try right clicking in the note and select save attachment.  

• Level 5*
On 3/1/2018 at 8:23 AM, CalS said:

FWIW - confirmed. Create new note and try to move it. Won't move.

Create new note, try to move, fails, force sync, move, it moves.

2 hours ago, Jon lowbank said:

Lost Functionality v6.10 includes 

1. Easily Scroll note without scrolling PDF's
  2. Ability to drag PDFs to Gmail and other applications. (a deal breaker)
  3. Ability to drag PDFs to other Evernote windows. (a deal breaker)
  4. Double click a FDF and view in my system viewer. 
  5. See attached screenshot where PDF shows in thumbnail but not in note. (lost Data !!!)

I never print or download PDFs so the two buttons are of no use to me.

Also can not drag photos to Gmail and other applications v6.10

Can anybody add to the list?

I'm going back to http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.7.4.5741.exe

Image.png

I can't add to the list myself because I have tried few betas, lost work which is unacceptable, and in this place there is no one to complain  to off course. No one cares or listens. So I went back to Evernote 6.5.4 before they changed the editor and ***** everything up. Now I'm reading horror story after horror story on these forums waiting for some kind of good news that its safe to use the application I'm paying for. So far all I'm seeing is more bugs and more bugs. Ladies and gentlemen we are paying more than we used to for the privilege to be not beta testers, but alpha testers. While evernote keeps on insisting to take away key features, many depend on, like drag and drop. A simple drag and drop. In an app that is supposed to be all about productivity. Somebody lost their mind. Feels like twilight zone. In 2018, we can't drag and drop in a productivity app that already had that function working just fine. And we are paying more money for the privilege. That's crazy. 

On 2/25/2018 at 4:25 AM, CalS said:

Me too.  That's how it used to work before EN switched to the Chrome like PDF viewer.  Haven't seen anything that says EN will return the pieces of PDF functionality lost during that conversion.

Lost Functionality v6.10 includes 

1. Easily Scroll note without scrolling PDF's
  2. Ability to drag PDFs to Gmail and other applications. (a deal breaker)
  3. Ability to drag PDFs to other Evernote windows. (a deal breaker)
  4. Double click a FDF and view in my system viewer. 
  5. See attached screenshot where PDF shows in thumbnail but not in note. (lost Data !!!)

I never print or download PDFs so the two buttons are of no use to me.

Also can not drag photos to Gmail and other applications v6.10

Can anybody add to the list?

I'm going back to http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.7.4.5741.exe

Image.png

• Level 5*
On 2/27/2018 at 12:03 PM, CalS said:

Out of interest can you move a note to a local notebook with this build?

Found a workaround if you have to absolutely move a note to a local notebook prior to a fix.  Use the import folders option.  Create a folder on the desktop, link it to the target local notebook and then drag the note to it.  Then delete the note from its original location (after a check if you like).  Still a PITA, but keeps order in the cosmos, mine anyway.

• Level 5*

Bug report.

Don't know if this is due to this Beta or something that happened in the last IOS update.  IAC, now for some notes, not all, the default font in the note is changed on Windows after the note has been modified on IOS.  I can't reproduce at will at this point.

Also, the note toolbar which only got reset at the install reset itself today, back to info and share.  

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, CalS said:

Just FYI, this was added a ways back.

Figured it might be. The last time I installed Evernote fresh, probably May 2017, I did a registry edit as that was my normal course of action. Just did a fresh install again this week and noticed it. Much much easier.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

UI tweaks to the sidebar to reduce the size of the new note button and to make the list of notebooks and shortcuts easier to scan

Phew.  Music to my eyes!  Haven't tested anything else yet,  but that re-spacing is far more elegant.  Thanks for that at least.  :)

Have to say - without a micrometer I'd be hard pressed to see any difference in the (still) big green new note button,  and I took a comparison screen shot before updating!! 

It's still an excrescence given the logical placement of the duplicate icon on the toolbar - that has far more options.

Why not have a standard that says 'new note button in the toolbar for desktops,  on screen for mobiles'?  I know we have more screen space,  but the rest of the presentation is substantially different in layout anyway!

• Level 5*

Not just this release,  but since the new PDF preview has been out - attaching a PDF to an external email is not possible (AFAICS) from the preview window.  It's necessary to 'view as attachment' then copy or drag n drop (sometimes via desktop in Windows) to an email window,  then reset the PDF to view inline.  More details here -

Edit: and right-clicking the preview window seems to give me a full pop-up of options,  including 'copy' which doesn't work at all.  Is there some way to make it easier to share / attach an attachment to note externally?  The link refers to sharing PDFs from more than one note,  so I don't think sharing a note plus attachment by email from Evernote is a likely option.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Not just this release,  but since the new PDF preview has been out - attaching a PDF to an external email is not possible (AFAICS) from the preview window.  It's necessary to 'view as attachment' then copy or drag n drop (sometimes via desktop in Windows) to an email window,  then reset the PDF to view inline.  More details here -

Edit: and right-clicking the preview window seems to give me a full pop-up of options,  including 'copy' which doesn't work at all.  Is there some way to make it easier to share / attach an attachment to note externally?  The link refers to sharing PDFs from more than one note,  so I don't think sharing a note plus attachment by email from Evernote is a likely option.

Another method is right click in on the PDF and select Save As to the desktop or wherever and then drag and then delete from desktop.  Still not as slick as the previous PDF method of the simple drag.  :(

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, NikolayS said:

I just need to drag the file without tinkering. I scan lots of PDFs and then drag them into QBO as I process them. It should be very easy.

Me too.  That's how it used to work before EN switched to the Chrome like PDF viewer.  Haven't seen anything that says EN will return the pieces of PDF functionality lost during that conversion.

• Level 5*

Here's something I haven't seen before - Unable to move notes from an online notebook to an offline notebook. Worse, I can't move notes from one offline notebook to another. It was working fine until this update. I will try rebuilding the database...

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, FactMan said:

Here's something I haven't seen before - Unable to move notes from an online notebook to an offline notebook. Worse, I can't move notes from one offline notebook to another. It was working fine until this update. I will try rebuilding the database...

Yup, looks like moving notes between synced and non-synced notebooks -- either via drag/drop or via the note's notebook dropdown -- doesn't work in this build.

Also, I'm seeing some weirdness with cut/paste of attachments. I'm trying to move an attached .reg file to a different place in its note, but it doesn't paste where the cursor is; it winds up somewhere earlier in the note. Edit: No, this is even weirder: this appears to be a file system shortcut to a .reg file that is some kind of phantom: it doesn't seem to appear in the .enex if I export it. It's a note in a notebook shared from my work account, and doesn't appear in the 6.9.8 version that I can look at via remote desktop.  The .enex files appear to be identical on both machines.

Further edit: now it appears to have vanished from my 6.10 install. Spooky.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, jefito said:

Yup, looks like moving notes between synced and non-synced notebooks -- either via drag/drop or via the note's notebook dropdown -- doesn't work in this build.

Or alt-shift-m, or through the menu system. Hope this gets fixed quickly!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, FactMan said:

Ditto, can't move notes local to sync or vice versa.  'Bout time for the alpha/beta discussion again.  Geez.

• Level 5*

Workaround to not being able to move notes from a Local notebook to a synced one is to do an export/import.  No way to move any note (Local or synced) to a Local notebook.  My quick test anyway.  Ten goats. 

Hmmm, and the Notebook column is now titled Location.  Did that just happen with this Beta?  Trying to do my weekly reset and thinking I may need another glass of amber liquid...

• Level 5*
On 2/23/2018 at 8:57 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

An intermittent issue where notes are sometimes not loaded when on-demand sync option is selected

This has been biting me in the past. I'll be able to test it thoroughly in the coming days for my setup.

• Level 5*

Oh, two things:

1. Not sure when it was added, but thank you for adding the "Search as you type delay" to settings vs requiring a registry edit.
  2. With Sync on Demand enabled when I change a note location to a different notebook, the list of notes now updates immediately instead of only when I switch to another notebook and back. Very nice.

:)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

Not sure when it was added, but thank you for adding the "Search as you type delay" to settings vs requiring a registry edit.

Just FYI, this was added a ways back.

The bug involving drag and drop and disappearing note body is back. I use Evernote Skitch to take the screenshot of the different areas of the web page and then drag it into the existing note. I had no problem doing this before the beta. Starting with this beta, dragging screenshot into the note results in the disappearing note body. The note content is still reflected in snippet view, but the note body is gone. The only way to get it back is to restart Evernote. When using "Screenshot" button on the  Evernote toolbar while holding Ctrl key to put a screenshot on the clipboard, I run into the different problem.  After taking the screenshot this way, the Evernote focus immediately jumps from the note I am working on, to the top note on the note list of the selected notebook. The only two ways for me to be able to keep the focus on the note I am working with is to either open note in its own window or is to use "Clip Screenshot" option with the Ctrl key in the Evernote tray icon. 

• Level 5
12 hours ago, CalS said:

Workaround to not being able to move notes from a Local notebook to a synced one is to do an export/import.  No way to move any note (Local or synced) to a Local notebook.  My quick test anyway.  Ten goats. 

Hmmm, and the Notebook column is now titled Location.  Did that just happen with this Beta?  Trying to do my weekly reset and thinking I may need another glass of amber liquid...

I would just like to encourage the brave beta testers to fight such garbage tooth and nail. :o:angry:

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I would just like to encourage the brave beta testers to fight such garbage tooth and nail. :o:angry:

As a beta tester I simply post a bug report in the feedback discussion; fighting and alpha/beta comments are not in the job description

If the bug is blocking my work, I retreat; reverting back to the previous version.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Pain is about to exceed gain in this process for me.  I realize it is a beta and stuff happens, but this is stupefying.   I would have thought a company like EN would have some form of a testing suite or at least scripts, but sure doesn't look like it when something as simple as moving a note between notebooks doesn't work.  This simple stuff just shouldn't make it through.  Spent enough time in my life managing development groups, we'd be having a chat to see who really wants to work on the product.  Unacceptable.  End rant.

Personally, beginning to feel a bit disrespected in that my time doesn't seem to be important.  I'll get over it, but GEEEEEZ!

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, CalS said:

Pain is about to exceed gain in this process for me.  I realize it is a beta and stuff happens, but this is stupefying.   I would have thought a company like EN would have some form of a testing suite or at least scripts, but sure doesn't look like it when something as simple as moving a note between notebooks doesn't work.  This simple stuff just shouldn't make it through.  Spent enough time in my life managing development groups, we'd be having a chat to see who really wants to work on the product.  Unacceptable.  End rant.

Personally, beginning to feel a bit disrespected in that my time doesn't seem to be important.  I'll get over it, but GEEEEEZ!

I backed off moving to beta versions for this reason. 

It's one thing for a beta to have new features that don't work quite right and beta users can help provide feedback and examples to help devs isolate and resolve the issue, but Evernote betas ROUTINELY break existing functionality. Too frustrating to hang out on the bleeding edge of EN betas for me.

I agree; I too would expect that EN would have testing processes that test existing functionality before releasing a beta, but we have seen plenty of evidence that this is not the case.

I love Evernote, use it daily, am a paying user, and extol the virtues of Evernote to friends, but the EN development team has got to do a much better job of testing betas and general releases before rolling them out. This shouldn't be this difficult for a software company worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, tavor said:

It's one thing for a beta to have new features that don't work quite right and beta users can help provide feedback and examples to help devs isolate and resolve the issue, but Evernote betas ROUTINELY break existing functionality. Too frustrating to hang out on the bleeding edge of EN betas for me.

I agree 100% with this. The good news is that it didn't take long to go back to the last known good version. It's frustrating to have to miss out on some of the incremental "features" for a while longer, but to break the basic functionality of being able to move notes around made it impossible for me to continue with the 'new' version. It has got to be tough trying to synchronize all the updates in all the different versions, so I would be prepared to accept delays in roll-outs of new features if it meant that when it finally happens the roll-out is smooth. Complete synchronization of version features is a worthy ideal, but may be too lofty to achieve in the short term. I for one will take delayed perfect over immediate broken any time!

• Level 5*

Bug report, I think.

I scan receipts and store them in a notebook of their own.  I use the Thumbnail view for displaying these notes, 5 wide.  EN became unresponsive when I selected my Receipts notebook, did not do this before.  Obviously most of the receipt notes are PDFs.  A line appears in the activity log re Starting EvernoteSubProcess.exe and then that's it.  Bad thing is I can't change the view since EN is unresponsive once I select the notebook.

I noticed the first three of the notes thumbnails were not displaying in the note list area.  I restarted EN and moved the three from the receipts notebook.  I added them back to the receipts notebook one at a time.  EN did not become unresponsive after any of the moves.  Things appear to be working.  I do a File - Exit from EN and start back up and EN is unresponsive again when I select the receipts notebook. 

So something is amiss with one of the three notes I'm guessing.

• Level 5*

Good news - the 'disappearing start menu icon' seems fixed;  bad news - just noticed this update seems to have given me a duplicate 2nd icon in the start menu.  I deleted the old one and normal service has continued,  but still...

• Ex Employees
On 2/24/2018 at 3:58 PM, FactMan said:

Thanks for the report. We're looking into it. 

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Austin G said:

Thanks for the report. We're looking into it. 

Glad to hear you are looking into it - rebuilding the database didn't work, so I reverted to the previous version. It only took about 20 minutes to do the switch back, by the way. Before I started the switch I made sure my database was backed up so I just copied and pasted it back to the original folder after I had installed the older version. I will continue to use this process with all beta installations (and after I have added any new notes and need to revert the app).

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, FactMan said:

rebuilding the database didn't work

Can you provide details of what failed on the rebuild.  I do keep a database backup, but I usually let the app rebuild the database from the servers.

Warning: "rebuild from the servers" does not include unsync'd notes or Local Notebooks

• Level 5*

PDFs are definitely taking longer to render for me with this beta, 5 to 10 seconds where prior to this there was no lag.  That is, click on a note in the note list and 5 to 10 seconds later the PDF is visible, every time.

Also,  creating a new note in its own Window has a 5 to 10 second lag as well.

EDIT:  Just checked on my backup laptop and the display was almost instantaneous, running 6.8.1.5832.  Hadn't used the laptop for a while and it is pegged at 100% doing some MS update, but still almost instantaneous PDF render, in an on demand environment as well.  Everything against it.  Of course it is the old PDF viewer.  :(

EDIT to the EDIT:  So "just because" I did a File - Exit.  Now the render times are back to normal and the creating a new note is back to normal.  Don't know how the rat got in the wood pile but it is out now.  Weird.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, DTLow said:

Can you provide details of what failed on the rebuild.  I do keep a database backup, but I usually let the app rebuild the database from the servers.

I keep the copy of the database just in case the update messes something up. I have a lot of off-line notes that I don't use very often, but my ongoing notes are online (except for bank statements, and other personal stuff). For regular updates I just use the servers. In this case, I wondered if rebuilding the database (using the Ctrl-Help options) might make a difference. It didn't. The database itself was fine, just that I couldn't move notes in the offline notebooks - a 'fatal' problem for my workflow. Reverting to the earlier version restored my sanity and workflow. 

Archived