Linking Files and updates

Dusan

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Dusan said:

If i attach excel file in the note (from my hdd), is there a way for that file in the note to be updated as i make updates to excel file that is stored on my hdd?

I'd advise against having two copies of your spreadsheet.  
If you import to Evernote, delete from the hdd.  The two copies will not be kept in sync when edited.

You also have the option of adding a link to a note instead of importing the file.

Imported spreadsheets can still be edited.  The Win/Mac platforms support this simply by opening the spreadsheet in the native app.

• Level 5*

Windows? Mac?

Anyways, no. If you have an attachment like an Evernote file, then a copy of the original file is stored in the Evernote database and won't be modified unless you edit that copy (in Windows by double-clicking on it in the note). The original file is not modified in this case, only the Evernote copy.

If you instead store a link to an external file, then you should be able to edit that, so long as you're on that machine.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Dusan said:

If i attach excel file in the note (from my hdd), is there a way for that file in the note to be updated as i make updates to excel file that is stored on my hdd?

1. If you are an EN premium user and you want to search the content of the Excel file, no.  You would have to copy/paste after making any changes.
  2. If you are an EN premium member you can remove the Excel file from your HDD and just edit the copy in EN.
  3. If you don't care about searching the Excel file in EN, leave the file on your HDD and put a link to the file in an EN note.  A link to a file named Excel File.xlsx looks like this:

ScreenClip.png.b67c0e463a5524744ffa54c42469c46a.png

On a windows machine, if you select the file, hold SHIFT and Right Click on mouse, you can get the COPY AS PATH option.This will give you a quick link to the file you want and paste that into the Evernote so you can easily access the file. I do this for a lot of things I reference in notes.

When you create the hyperlink in Evernote (CTRL + K) , remove the quotations on each side of the path, and you are good to go.

You can also use SHIFT + F10 while the file is selected as a keyboard shortcut. 

image.thumb.png.82526fe458258ca3bfb98864890f4a24.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mike McGowan said:

Unless you have a reason for keeping it on your hard drive, I am huge fan of the Google Docs/drive integration  

49 minutes ago, CalS said:

Ditto here but for using DropBox as the cloud storage.

Just wondering when to choose linking to the spreadsheet file instead of importing it.  
I prefer importing the file and not being concerned at all with the storage aspect

Then again, I'm an Apple user and IOS really sucks at editing embedded files.  If I know the file is to be edited, I link to the storage on iCloud

1 hour ago, Mike McGowan said:

Unless you have a reason for keeping it on your hard drive, I am huge fan of the Google Docs/drive integration  I am better organized in Evernote than my Google drive and EN's searching helps me find what I need quickly.

Unfortunately you lose the ability to search in the doc.  I didn't realize that when I tried the google integration yesterday.  

Oh, and "real" google integration doesn't work with Windows - you have to insert the link via the web version.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Just wondering when to choose linking to the spreadsheet file instead of importing it.  
I prefer importing the file and not being concerned at all with the storage aspect

Then again, I'm an Apple user and IOS really sucks at editing embedded files.  If I know the file is to be edited, I link to the storage on iCloud

This was never a where to store it concern. 

It may be fixed now, but in the past editing a spreadsheet that contained pivot tables became problematic.  This was due to how the attachments folder and Excel were managed, don't know if it was EN or MS, but at some point a "same" file with a 1 on the end would be created.  Then when the model was opened the pivot table would be linked to an external spreadsheet and no longer work.  Recoverable, but a PITA.

I decided it didn't make that much difference to me if the contents of these typically larger spreadsheets were indexed and searchable, so I moved them to DropBox and put a link in a note.  This attachment folder issue may be fixed now but I doubt I would switch back.  The process isn't that much different (adding the link being the extra step I suppose). 

I still put smaller ad hoc spreadsheets into EN, but none that contain pivot tables.

Archived