Disable clipper

nuorlenzgal

Idea

16 replies to this idea

To stop the clipper (in Windows):

1) Exit Evernote

2) In Windows Task Manager kill the Evernote Clipper task that is running

Now to stop clipper running ever again...

3) Run regedit and in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote\StartEvernoteClipper set this to 0

This will stop Clipper starting up when you start Evernote for windows.

I have also attached this as a .reg file that you can download and just click on to run if you dont want to manually set the setting value to 0.

4) Run windows task manager -> Start-up tab -> RMB on Evernote Clipper and set it to disable.

This is to stop Evernote clipper from starting on windows startup.

This works as of Evernote 6.18.4.8489. 

Note: Every time Evernote updates you might want to check that they havent reset some of these settings and Clipper is not now starting up again.

NOTE TO EVERNOTE DEVELOPERS (from a developer):

Forcing the user to always have clipper running is pretty bad practice and there should be an option to easily stop it from running.  Why?  Cos the clipper hijacks so many key combinations at a system level probably without the user knowing.

Why do I want to not have clipper running in the background?

I (like millions of others out there) use Microsoft Visual Studio in combination with Resharper and the key combination shortcuts conflict with each other and because Evernote has hijacked the key combinations at a system level it stops certain key combinations from working in Visual Studio.

Evernote-StartEvernoteClipper-False.reg

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, nuorlenzgal said:

I can't see how to disable it on my pc...how do you disable it?

It loads up on start and sucks up my memory...don't need it.

As far as I know, you can't disable it without disabling the rest of Evernote. If you don't want it to load at startup, then disable that: Tools / Options / Launch Evernote at Windows Startup. But from what I'm seeing, it's taking up about 8MB of memory (not that much) and very little CPU when not being used.

Slight bump, only just came across this thread... Yes, it's possible to disable evernote clipper:

Also delete the EvernoteClipper shortcut from the startup folder in the start menu.

Apparently occasionally it gets reenabled by an update, haven't found a way yet to deny the installer access to this one reg value.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, nashwan said:

Forcing the user to always have clipper running is pretty bad practice and there should be an option to easily stop it from running.  Why?  Cos the clipper hijacks so many key combinations at a system level probably without the user knowing.

Your method for disabling may work, but this is nonsense. The Evernote clipper doesn't "hijack" any key combinations; as best I know, it uses  the Windows function RegisterHotKey() to try to register a system-wide hotkey that triggers the requested functionality. This is a standard WIndows API, and not bad practice. Evidently there's no Windows functionality to be able to arbitrate among competing hotkeys, so this is a first-come, first-served proposition ("This function cannot associate a hot key with a window created by another thread.") if you're the first to register, you "win", if not, your hotkey doesn't work (i.e., it's not hijacking ANYONE ELSE'S PREVIOUSLY REGISTERED HOTKEY). It's up to the user to choose which keystrokes trigger which actions when there are conflicts. In the case of Evernote's defaults, you can configure them easily enough, or disable them altogether by making them blank using Tools / Options / Shortcut Keys.

12 hours ago, nashwan said:

Why do I want to not have clipper running in the background?

I (like millions of others out there) use Microsoft Visual Studio in combination with Resharper and the key combination shortcuts conflict with each other and because Evernote has hijacked the key combinations at a system level it stops certain key combinations from working in Visual Studio.

Funny, I use Visual Studio every working day, though not with Resharper, and I have no conflicts. The clipper is really handy for grabbing screenshots of UI or other aspects of whatever I'm working on. And as noted, you have the power to change them, or disable them if you don't want to use them. Your choice as to whether to muck around with the registry every time you update, or just use the tools provided by Evernote...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Age old confusion opportunity here.  From an EN semantics basis, "Clipper" does not exist inside of EN, capture screen does, for which only one shortcut key of your choosing is consumed.  Clipper OTOH is the browser add on, very long list of shortcut keys there.

Image.png.647900dda5b5b2b03cb579264167d96b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, CalS said:

Age old confusion opportunity here.  From an EN semantics basis, "Clipper" does not exist inside of EN, capture screen does, for which only one shortcut key of your choosing is consumed.  Clipper OTOH is the browser add on, very long list of shortcut keys there.

True enough, but it's the desktop clipper at issue here, and which, most likely for for backwards compatibility reasons, uses registry shortcuts with names that include "clipper". Plus the right-click menu from the Evernote notification bar item is "Clip Screenshot". So yes, there's some inconsistency here, but it's the screen capture functionality that's referenced here. The web clipper extension certainly has its own large-ish set of shortcuts, but they're only operative in the browser where the the web clipper was activated, as far as I can tell.

• Level 5

For me there is no need for yet another switch build into the software. It just bloats the GUI and makes troubleshooting more complicated.

If I want or need it, I can easily change or disable the hotkeys, as shown above. On the other side the fast clipping function is a useful tool on occasion.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jefito said:

True enough, but it's the desktop clipper at issue here, and which, most likely for for backwards compatibility reasons, uses registry shortcuts with names that include "clipper". Plus the right-click menu from the Evernote notification bar item is "Clip Screenshot". So yes, there's some inconsistency here, but it's the screen capture functionality that's referenced here. The web clipper extension certainly has its own large-ish set of shortcuts, but they're only operative in the browser where the the web clipper was activated, as far as I can tell.

Uh, I think I get it, hence the post.  😊

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

Uh, I think I get it, hence the post.  😊

In violent agreement, once again... :) 

Just explaining where some of the "clipper" stuff comes from, where elsewhere it's "capture screen"...

• Haha 2
On 5/27/2019 at 12:28 AM, jefito said:

Your method for disabling may work, but this is nonsense. The Evernote clipper doesn't "hijack" any key combinations; as best I know, it uses  the Windows function RegisterHotKey() to try to register a system-wide hotkey that triggers the requested functionality. This is a standard WIndows API, and not bad practice. Evidently there's no Windows functionality to be able to arbitrate among competing hotkeys, so this is a first-come, first-served proposition ("This function cannot associate a hot key with a window created by another thread.") if you're the first to register, you "win", if not, your hotkey doesn't work (i.e., it's not hijacking ANYONE ELSE'S PREVIOUSLY REGISTERED HOTKEY). It's up to the user to choose which keystrokes trigger which actions when there are conflicts. In the case of Evernote's defaults, you can configure them easily enough, or disable them altogether by making them blank using Tools / Options / Shortcut Keys.

Funny, I use Visual Studio every working day, though not with Resharper, and I have no conflicts. The clipper is really handy for grabbing screenshots of UI or other aspects of whatever I'm working on. And as noted, you have the power to change them, or disable them if you don't want to use them. Your choice as to whether to muck around with the registry every time you update, or just use the tools provided by Evernote...

I disagree with what you have said here.  When Evernote makes the assumption that everybody wants to have a system wide shortcut that works even when Evernote for Windows is not running this is a pretty arrogant position to take.  If some people want this functionality then fine, but obviously some (myself included) don't.  Clipper is not an essential process to be able to use Evernote for windows (hence you can kill the process and everything else works fine).

Please read where I said VS in combination with Resharper, I never said it was VS alone.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, nashwan said:

even when Evernote for Windows is not running

Doesn't the clipper extension interface between the browser and the Evernote Server

edit: Incorrect - thanks @jefito

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, nashwan said:

I disagree with what you have said here.  When Evernote makes the assumption that everybody wants to have a system wide shortcut that works even when Evernote for Windows is not running this is a pretty arrogant position to take.  If some people want this functionality then fine, but obviously some (myself included) don't.  Clipper is not an essential process to be able to use Evernote for windows (hence you can kill the process and everything else works fine).

Disagree all you want, but you're wrong.

Again, Evernote is *not* hijacking anything. Evernote is using a valid Windows API to register system-wide hotkeys, just like other developers, including Windows do. Anyways you've already been given options as to how to stop Evernote from attempting to register a hotkey for the screen clipper. Use it. Or configure a more convenient hotkey. Or if you don't want Evernote to use the screen clipper when it's not running, learn how to shut down Evernote in a way that makes that happen: either File / Exit, or right-click on the Evernote icon in the taskbar, and select "Quit Evernote". Both of those methods disable the screen clipper from using its designated hotkey. Yes, looks like the clipper executable is still running, which is not great, but it still won't clip when you use its hotkey, at least in my tests.

It is certainly not arrogant of Evernote to correctly use a documented Windows API in the way it was intended (I'll grant that it's not a great API, but that's too bad). It would be unhandy of Evernote to not provide a way to disable the hotkey or change it to something different, but, oh wait, they actually do provide both. Nobody is making you use the screen clipper, and nobody is stopping you from using the available tools to prevent it from conflicting with anything. It's really a lot simpler than needing to go through some task manager / regedit ring-around-the-rosey drill. For goodness' sake, use the Force, Luke...

55 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Doesn't the clipper extension interface between the browser and the Evernote Server

We're talking here about the Evernote for Windows screen capture functionality, which allows you to clip a window or define an area of the screen to the clipboard, to an image file on disk, or direct into a new Evernote note. This is not a browser extension. Super handy for development, in my book. Not so much for others, evidently.

I was actually able to get this to work with some help! I don't remember if this is the exact order in which I did these steps, but these are the things I did to make it work:

- Close Evernote, and kill + disable the Evernote clipper task in Task Manager like nashwan said

- in regedit, go to edit/find tab and type in StartEvernoteClipper. I had first done it the way described by nashwan but I only saw a folder called EnClipper which didn't contain StartEvernoteClipper**. Set the value to 0 by right clicking the name and clicking Modify. Additionally, you can just delete it like I did (nothing got messed up and it worked)

- restart the computer

It should work out. Before restarting, I still had clipper working but restarting fixed it. 

The reason I wanted to disable the clipper is because whenever I want to copy formatting in Google Docs using [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[C] and [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[V], I would always end up clipping the last piece of text I copied to my clipboard when doing the "[Ctrl]+[Alt]+[V]" part.

Let me know if this helps!

**edit: I realize now that if I had just stayed in the second Evernote folder and didn't enter the EnClipper folder I would have found StartEvernoteClipper, but the method I described still works

edit #2: I noticed that after opening Evernote after restarting, the StartEvernoteClipper file just showed up again! It was as if nothing had changed and it still kept clipping. So, I just set its value to 0 and it seemed to finally work now. Please keep this in mind