can't turn off recents in sidebar

• Level 5*

It would be better to report this in the v7 feedback discussion, linked below5a888d9b4febb_ScreenShot2018-02-17at12_15_19.png.8eaa62568b67af37e6b883ce34c5da4c.png

I noticed Recent Notes has been moved to the bottom of the Shortcuts section.  
There is no separate option to disable it
We do have the option for a minimal sidebar (icons) and only display the lists when required

21 minutes ago, drybone said:

Hi Everybody, Is there something Im missing? I can't turn off recents in the sidebar anymore and it just came back on by default with version 7 on mac.  Thanks

No. Evernote insists that Apple users (it's a problem on iOS too) need to have Recent Notes forced down their virtual throats. No explanation has been given so far. I am sticking to 6.13.3. until they fix this, which may be forever.

Edit: This happened already in Beta 6.14, a few us complained, but apparently Evernote is adamant this is how it needs to be.

13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It would be better to report this in the v7 feedback discussion, linked below5a888d9b4febb_ScreenShot2018-02-17at12_15_19.png.8eaa62568b67af37e6b883ce34c5da4c.png

Recent Notes has been moved to the bottom of the Shortcuts section.  
There is no separate option to disable it
You do have the option for a minimal sidebar (icons) and only display the lists when required

It was already reported in the betas for 6.14. Apparently, Evernote is settled on this. And your "workaround" is useless.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, pgdahl said:

It was already reported in the betas for 6.14.

I'd still report the issue in the V7.0 feedback; it looks like v6.14 is being dropped

>>And your "workaround" is useless.
I find the icons view quite useful to eliminate the sidebar clutter
I don't need to see Recent Notes and other lists all the time; only when required 

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'd still report the issue in the V7.0 feedback; it looks like v6.14 is being dropped

>>And your "workaround" is useless.
I find the icons view quite useful to eliminate the sidebar clutter

That doesn't change the fact, that this "feature" went through beta with complaints, but it was still released to the public. The version numbering is of no importance (although surprising).

Your "workaround" also eliminates Evernote being useful. You have to use shortcuts to have quick access to your default notebook (a major design flaw in itself), your "workaroudn" eliminates it.  It also does not make recent notes disappear. 

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, pgdahl said:

You have to use shortcuts to have quick access to your default notebook (a major design flaw in itself)

My shortcut list is available with a single click

Also two methods of access to my default notebook; not requiring a shortcut

Note: I prefixed my default notebook name with @ so it appears at the top of the list

5a8893dbe520a_ScreenShot2018-02-17at12_42_19.png.750457335cb9c030ec3c12be9a7a82a4.png    5a889457aa34d_ScreenShot2018-02-17at12_44_45.png.0d3f83f67dc9b952c50f5e2ef52ac9c6.png

2 hours ago, pgdahl said:

That doesn't change the fact, that this "feature" went through beta with complaints, but it was still released to the public. The version numbering is of no importance (although surprising).

This seems to be the normal at Evernote. Users report feedback, which is then ignored and a general release is pushed out regardless of whether bugs are fixed or not. 

I'll add another vote to at least giving users an option to disable recent notes in the sidebar. This was optional in prior versions...why is it mandatory now? Personally I feel these recent notes just add more clutter to the sidebar. First the green button, now the recent notes. Too much clutter renders the sidebar useless. 

• Level 5*
On 2018-02-17 at 2:49 PM, janstet said:

Personally I feel these recent notes just add more clutter to the sidebar...Too much clutter renders the sidebar useless. 

I agree.  I only want to see a list when I need it

>>I'll add another vote to at least giving users an option to disable recent notes in the sidebar.

This isn't a request/feedback forum but I'll post a link if I see a request posted

• 2 weeks later...

Adding more feedback to this... this is driving me nuts. This causes my whole note list to not fit on my screen thus I have to scroll (and the window loses a bit of its width due to the scroll bar) and since the list is dynamic, my notes float lower and higher depending on how many recent notes I have.

Also, I use Evernote for meeting minutes and share the application on the web conference. If there is a note on my recents that I don't want to have shared with the meeting (e.g. projects with other companies) I have to close Evernote and re-open it to kill the history.

I dont see the value in forcing users to not turn this off - if people like it great, if not, give us the option to hide it.

• Level 5*
On 2018-02-17 at 2:49 PM, janstet said:

This was optional in prior versions...why is it mandatory now?

The recent notes list has been moved to the Shortcuts List.  While there's no separate enable/disable option, the shortcut list can be disabled.

Yes, it does require an extra click to display the shortcuts

29 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The recent notes list has been moved to the Shortcuts List.  While there's no separate enable/disable option, the shortcut list can be disabled.

Yes, it does require an extra click to display the shortcuts

How is this at all relevant to my comment?

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, janstet said:

How is this at all relevant to my comment?

You asked a question: "This was optional in prior versions...why is it mandatory now?"

I answered the question, Recent Note List moved, and corrected the "mandatory" comment.

I'm not clear why your post came up on the current posts list.

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You asked a question: This was optional in prior versions...why is it mandatory now?

I answered the question, Recent Note List moved, and corrected the "mandatory" comment.

The ability to disable "recent notes" in the sidebar was an option in previous versions. Users could have shortcuts visible and hide the recent notes. Now if a user displays shortcuts in the sidebar, they are forced to see a list of recent notes underneath the shortcuts. That's what I mean by mandatory. If a user wants to have shortcuts visible in the sidebar, they are forced to see a list of recent notes underneath. This adds unnecessary clutter to the sidebar, a point which you agreed with me on in your comment above:

On 2/17/2018 at 6:42 PM, DTLow said:

I agree.  I only want to see a list when I need it

Disabling the shortcuts altogether is not a solution that works for me. 

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, janstet said:

Disabling the shortcuts altogether is not a solution that works for me. 

Please consider adding your support to the request  linked below

The discussion we're posting in is a question from @drybone

21 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm not clear why your post came up on the current posts list.

Perhaps this is a mistake on your end? My initial post was posted on Feb. 17th, and you responded on the same day. It shouldn't be showing up as a current post. 

1 hour ago, IschaGast said:

Just updated to the new version and the one thing that I really miss is the option to hide recent notes. I never need that option, please let us hide it.

Please vote for the request to have it undone here:

Archived