New versions of Evernote Window keep getting worse

It seems that every time I update to the newest versions of Windows, thinks keep getting worse.  I am running this version - 6.9.7.6770 (306770) Public (CE Build ce-1.39.4387)

Every time I start up windows, I keep getting the "lets get started" display.  I click off of it, but it comes back.

Also, used to be able to double-click an expanded PDF to open it, but now I have to right-click and select open.

Finally, the last release completely compressed my listing of notebooks and tags on the left with a smaller font (see attached).  There is no option to put it back to a more reasonable view.

Anyone see the same issues?

evernote.jpg

I couldn't agree more.  The list of notebooks is very difficult to see and it's all to fit in a pointless and redundant "New Note" button.  

Another issue I'm having with version 6.9 is when I try to search within a notebook stack evernote automatically selects all notebooks.  I can search an individual notebook no problem but when i select a stack it searches all notes.  I've tried fiddling with the clear context option with no luck.

Another issue i have is in notes with in-line pdfs.  When i click away from evernote and then place the curser back into the note, it automatically sends the curser to the bottom of the note on the next keystroke.  No matter where I place the curser it always skips to the bottom of the note on the next keystroke.

Evernote for me is more than just a collection of random notes, it's become an important part of my workflow which is why i don't mind paying the premium pricing.  It's very frustrating to have parts of my workflow broken every time evernote updates.  In my opinion, all new "features" should have an on/off option in settings.  Also, I don't understand why i can't control the font size of the different sections within the app.

Correction - just double checked the curser issue and it seems to be fixed.

Nearly full agree. EN is my favourite workflow tool and managing simple text notes is the base of all. But the text editor is getting worse with every new version:
  • Ctrl-Shift-V (paste plane text) stopped retaining URLs
    • In former versions it was a pretty fine feature to retain URLs during paste of texts from browsers or Outlook whereas other formatting was removed. Now Ctrl-Shift-V pastes unformatted text (good) but removes URLs (very bad)
    • Why not offering a setting to control strict vs. smart "Paste Plane Text"?

• Display embedded PDFs was simple and completely sufficient
    • Now scrolling though notes stops when a PDF comes in sight. Scrolling "jumps" to the PDF which is scrolled till end before my text (outside PDF) continues scrolling...
    • Maybe a nice feature for somebody - but confuses me. Seeing the first page of my PDFs is enough. If I want to see more, it was possible to simply click to PageUp and -Down icons or double click on the PDF to execute a foreign viewer...
    • Now I have to RClick->Open (hard to find vs. a simple DClick) or view (all) PDFs as attachments to avoid stupid scrolling
      • Viewing PDFs als attachments is a bad choice because this avoids the small preview when using Ctrl-F5 ord Ctrl-F6 modes of note listings
    • Why not offering a setting to enable the new PDF "features" vs. using the good old style?

• Handling of embedded PDFs (viewed as attachments) in bulletted lists
    • If you have some embedded files continously added in one line in a bulletted list, try the following:
      • move the cursor between the files
      • type <RETURN>
    • You will find a new bullet in the next line but the file just behind the cursor did not move to the new bullet
    • If you insert a <SPACE> just before an embedded PDF, position the cursor before the <SPACE> and type <RETURN>
      • the PDF moves to the new bullet line (but you have to remove the <SPACE> in front of it - stupid)
    • I think, this is a bug of the new PDF handling technique - but
      • Why not offering a setting to enable the new PDF "features" vs. using the good old style?

• Smaller font in left pane
    • ... is OK for me because I can see some more notebooks and tags on my screen ?
    • But new big "New Note" seems to be a bad idea of a marketing guy... We all had a Toolbar icon "New Note"...
    • Why not offering settings to define fonts in app sections and show/remove stupid new buttons?
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Hads said:

It seems that every time I update to the newest versions of Windows, thinks keep getting worse. 

3 hours ago, rlyoung04 said:

I couldn't agree more. 

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:
Nearly full agree.

At least on the Mac platform the upgrade process is optional.  I get a chance to review the feedback and make the decision if I wish to upgrade.

Also, I can roll back to a previous version if I decide

• Level 5

I'm still on v. 6.5, for the very reasons presented here (and others). Every update breaks something that worked just fine, and improvements (if any) seem to be minimal. The most recent I heard was that the user spelling dictionary was removed!! Accidental? Deliberate? Sociopathic? Who knows; but I ain't updating till something actually improves. It's happening on the Android app too--they broke a reasonably well-functioning clip/share function, then restored some minimal functionality, but it's still largely broken (I almost typed borken--that should be a word).

Upgrade on Windows is optional also. But if you wait for a bugfix, see the bugfix in release notes, install the new version and then recognize some other ugly things, it's disappointing (even or especially to an over-all exited user ;-).

You may participate in beta programs (as I've done so in in the past for some times). But this is time consuming and not really helpfull because they've released some already mentioned bugs and|or dirty features later. I.e. new table features have been criticised but are not well implemented up to now.

There are many users paying for one or more Premium accounts (for myself add Business also). It's enough to rely on getting stable software with some already tested new features.
On 2/17/2018 at 5:22 PM, Eldorado said:
Nearly full agree. EN is my favourite workflow tool and managing simple text notes is the base of all. But the text editor is getting worse with every new version:
  • Ctrl-Shift-V (paste plane text) stopped retaining URLs
    • In former versions it was a pretty fine feature to retain URLs during paste of texts from browsers or Outlook whereas other formatting was removed. Now Ctrl-Shift-V pastes unformatted text (good) but removes URLs (very bad)
    • Why not offering a setting to control strict vs. smart "Paste Plane Text"?

• Display embedded PDFs was simple and completely sufficient
    • Now scrolling though notes stops when a PDF comes in sight. Scrolling "jumps" to the PDF which is scrolled till end before my text (outside PDF) continues scrolling...
    • Maybe a nice feature for somebody - but confuses me. Seeing the first page of my PDFs is enough. If I want to see more, it was possible to simply click to PageUp and -Down icons or double click on the PDF to execute a foreign viewer...
    • Now I have to RClick->Open (hard to find vs. a simple DClick) or view (all) PDFs as attachments to avoid stupid scrolling
      • Viewing PDFs als attachments is a bad choice because this avoids the small preview when using Ctrl-F5 ord Ctrl-F6 modes of note listings

• Handling of embedded PDFs (viewed as attachments) in bulletted lists
    • If you have some embedded files continously added in one line in a bulletted list, try the following:
      • move the cursor between the files
      • type <RETURN>
    • You will find a new bullet in the next line but the file just behind the cursor did not move to the new bullet
    • If you insert a <SPACE> just before an embedded PDF, position the cursor before the <SPACE> and type <RETURN>
      • the PDF moves to the new bullet line (but you have to remove the <SPACE> in front of it - stupid)
    • I think, this is a bug of the new PDF handling technique - but

• Smaller font in left pane
    • ... is OK for me because I can see some more notebooks and tags on my screen ?
    • But new big "New Note" seems to be a bad idea of a marketing guy... We all had a Toolbar icon "New Note"...
    • Why not offering settings to define fonts in app sections and show/remove stupid new buttons?

Evernote tries to save money by using 'off-the-shelf' software such as the chrome pdf viewer. Unfortunately, this viewer doesn't provide all the features from evernote's custom pdf viewer.

In general I'm not impressed by google applications (gmail for instance has the worst user interface ever...)

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

then we would like to have the opportunity to choose with no additional cost.

There is a cost to maintaining software.  The majority of users are unwilling to pay for this

We're going off-topic ;-). It was a cost to develop an interface to google's viewer. Do we have been asked whether we would like to invest this? Sometimes it's the best choice to "never touch a running system"...

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Sometimes it's the best choice to "never touch a running system"...

Yes, We can chose to not upgrade our software, but eventually OS changes will force the issue

OK, but if you wait for a bugfix, see the bugfix in release notes, install the new version and then recognize some other ugly things, it's disappointing. ;-)

I'm sure they didn't remove their own PDF viewer from EN because in Snipped View (Ctrl-F5) and Card View (Ctrl-F6) the first page of an embedded PDF is visible (if not Viewed as an Attachment). I guess this is not a feature of the Google viewer.

I always show pdf files as thumbnails. This is much easier to keep an overview on the attached documents, and I can double click to open my preferred viewer.

I use evernote as a  container with excellent search and tagging capabilities and I use evernote's editor for quick notes or to glue the attachments together (meta data).

So, I actually don't care about the embedded viewer...

On 2/17/2018 at 11:22 AM, Eldorado said:

Display embedded PDFs was simple and completely sufficient

Besides other major bugs in 6.8, this was a big problem for me as well so I have been back to 6.7 and have not upgraded to 6.9. 

The PDF within the note looked and felt part of the note and I could continue scrolling down to the bottom of the note. With the "isolated" viewer, the PDF does not feel like part of the note and you start scrolling through the PDF if your cursor is not on the outside of the PDF viewer. One of the best things about Evernote was to have multiple things in one note and all worked nicely whether it be JPG, text, PDF etc. 

I sure hope that the PDF viewer becomes an option and we can keep the original style, until then I am holding onto my old version.

I agree that the number of bugs in Evernote Windows is increasing again. I am going to stick with 6.8 as long as I can. I found that setting pdfs to show as attachments got rid of the worst bugs. Not having a pdf preview is a big loss of functionality, but bugs that break your work flow cost a lot of time. I have found ways round most of the remaining bugs. My biggest concern is that with the current rate of adding bugs Evernote will be totally unstable within a few releases. Onenote seems much more stable, but I much prefer the simpler design of Evernote. However, unstable software is not simple.

• Level 5*
On 2/17/2018 at 11:38 AM, DTLow said:

At least on the Mac platform the upgrade process is optional.  I get a chance to review the feedback and make the decision if I wish to upgrade.

Updating is optional in the Windows product as well, at least in my experience. Maybe it makes a difference that I'm on the beta track, but I'd guess not.

On 2/17/2018 at 12:32 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'm still on v. 6.5, for the very reasons presented here (and others). Every update breaks something that worked just fine, and improvements (if any) seem to be minimal. The most recent I heard was that the user spelling dictionary was removed!! Accidental? Deliberate? Sociopathic? Who knows; but I ain't updating till something actually improves. It's happening on the Android app too--they broke a reasonably well-functioning clip/share function, then restored some minimal functionality, but it's still largely broken (I almost typed borken--that should be a word).

Dave, I just "downgraded" to version 6.5.4.4720 and now couldn't be happier.  My stacks don't automatically collapse any more and double-clicking on a PDF document that is expanded now opens Adobe Acrobat.  

I'm convinced that the newer version of Evernote have really messed things up.  

• Level 5

We've gotten an explanation of the spelling issues from @Austin G here:

What I'm curious about now is what has actually improved in versions 6.6 and later. Austin refers to "necessary updates," without giving details. So could anyone here who has continued to update please let us know what you find to be working better in the newer versions? There must be something, but (reasonably enough) all that gets mentioned in these forums is the problems. Can anyone give me a reason to come off my churlish refusal to update?

Hmmm. I would check what version I'm using but sadly this is my every day, multiple times a day.

One thing I'm noticing I have a huge problem with is anytime I delete an image from a note (possibly other resources like PDFs as well, but I mostly work with images) I get "not responding" and there is a huge lag between deleting the image from the note and the note becoming editable again. Now granted my Win7 work PC is sorely due for an upgrade but I experience the same issue on my newer Win10 at home. 

I would much prefer to see less bells and whistles in the product and have it work more reliably the way it used to. 

evernote.png

I'm convinced that the newer version of Evernote have really messed things up.  

Couldn't agree more. I've been using Evernote since the early days and it pains me greatly to see it getting so bad.

Formatting inside Windows note is now so broken. I have it set to display at Verdana 10 and it says it's displaying at Verdana 9 (no idea why) and yet true Verdana 9 looks smaller than what it's actually displaying (and what is it displaying is smaller than 10 too!).

The behaviour for Control-M indents is now weird. You press delete at the bottom of an indented section, it jumps up a load of lines to the place before any indents at all.

Oh and that ridiculous huge left margin they added to every note because of the new table functionality (which is itself not well thought through).

Many more niggles keep appearing. The editing within my notes is my absolute bread and butter use of this product. And it's getting more hideous to use.

I'm afraid I believe since Phil Libin et al left (I still don't know the reason) the new CEO and his underlings have no idea of the complexities of the system they have inherited. That the formatting inside notes in the WIndows app is so broken leads to believe things must be getting run in a very dysfunctional way inside Evernote HQ.

I have felt the ethos change too. The company used to feel by geeks, for geeks. Now the businessmen have taken over, and are unlikely to bring the same detail and finesse to the product.

The problem is I have my whole worklife in Evernote. It's like a relationship I can see going downhill but I just can't give it up. I'm too bought in.

But the writing may be on the wall.........

It seems from this thread that 6.5 is the best version to revert to?  Along with all the other "improvements" I now have data loss -- notes that show the proper size, but are, in fact, empty.  Seems to be hit and miss as to which ones Evernote has decided I don't need.  

Just renewed Premium subscription a couple of months ago.  Won't be doing it again -- actively working on alternatives.  There's nothing "convenient" about wasted time trying to recreate lost data.  

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Ellsinore said:

Along with all the other "improvements" I now have data loss -- notes that show the proper size, but are, in fact, empty.  Seems to be hit and miss as to which ones Evernote has decided I don't need.  

I noticed that on a couple of notes - switching to another note or restarting Evernote seemed to fix it. Not exactly a data loss, but another frustrating thing to work around. Good luck with finding an alternative. I have not seen anything that comes close to offering all the 'features' of Evernote - especially if they all work as advertised/expected.

2 hours ago, FactMan said:

I noticed that on a couple of notes - switching to another note or restarting Evernote seemed to fix it. Not exactly a data loss, but another frustrating thing to work around. Good luck with finding an alternative. I have not seen anything that comes close to offering all the 'features' of Evernote - especially if they all work as advertised/expected.

I did try that, but it didn't fix it.  The content of those notes is gone.  I agree that the offerings available in the wild are sparse as far as features.  But Evernote's features aren't working as advertised or expected, so it's really not All That And A Bag Of Chips anymore.  For myself, I'd much rather have fewer features and and fewer surprises.  

I've reverted to 6.5 and am happy (mostly) for now.  I had forgotten what a mess restoring an .enex file is -- everything getting dumped into the "imported notes" notebook and almost 400 notes that couldn't be restored, but couldn't be identified, either.  So I'm in the process of syncing probably close to 11GB of data.  That's going to be a mess -- my broadband access is very limited.  BUT CTRL+Space actually does what it's supposed to do.  :-)

I was grossly negligent in not reading the forums before I upgraded.  Now that I have, I realize it wasn't just me when my search didn't seem to work as before.  Or when the PDF functionality was "weird."  Or when the simplify/remove formatting didn't seem to do anything.  Evernote not only didn't fix the known issues that have been the topic of discussion for years, they introduced all new problems and not by accident, either.  I laughed when I got the "let us know what you think" email a couple of months ago.  Why did they even bother?  They know from the forums what people think, and don't care.

It's the kind of thing I would expect from a new, evolving, free open source program, not a professionally developed program that I'm paying for.  And I did see a comment at some point along the lines of "what do you expect for $70 a year?"  Since Evernote set the price, I expect it to work!

• Level 5*
On 2/24/2018 at 10:06 PM, Loster2 said:

Formatting inside Windows note is now so broken. I have it set to display at Verdana 10 and it says it's displaying at Verdana 9 (no idea why) and yet true Verdana 9 looks smaller than what it's actually displaying (and what is it displaying is smaller than 10 too!).

This was a problem that was introduced in v6.6(?) and I made several posts about it including a video demonstrating the problem; it seems to not have affected everyone. Eventually it got resolved - I think it was v6.8.

I saw a new version was posted an I updated it again.  Still a mess.  So I once again downgraded to version 6.5.  Here is what I still see as problems.  Hopefully, Evernote is looking at these forums and will do something to fix the issues listed on this post.

1. List of notebooks on the left pane is too scrunched.  Give us an option to specify size and spacing.  6.5 gives nice spacing
  2. If I have a PDF expanded, double-clicking it does nothing.  I have to right-click and open.  6.5 gave the ability to double-click to open
  3. The left panel is always collapsing in the newer versions.  6.5 remembered which notebook stacks were already open and keeps them open when I come back to Evernote.
  4. Each update seems to slow down the responsiveness of Evernote Windows.

I use both the Windows and Mac versions of Evernote.  I feel the Mac version is always leaps and bounds ahead of the Windows version.  I've been a premium user of Evernote since day one.  I have also been a champion, introducing many of my friends, family and clients to Evernote.  I have thought about migrating to other solutions (e.g. OneNote), but I do love Evernote and with over 5,000 notes, it would be a large undertaking to do so.

Please Evernote, I hope you are listening to all the comments on this forum and will respond in kind.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Hads said:

I saw a new version was posted an I updated it again. 

Before updating, It would be a good idea to review the release feedback discussion; there's one for each release 

The post outlines the changes and what was fixed
- no, a new release does not fix every outstanding bug
The user feedback provides information on bugs detected

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, DTLow said:

Before updating, It would be a good idea to review the release feedback discussion; there's one for each release 

I saw there was a 'new' version, but when I went to download it the version number was the same as the one I had rejected - not sure about the build number - so I said to ignore this version. Even small 'updates' should have details of what they fixed, especially when the previous latest version had major bugs. Were you able to squash all of the bugs, or none of them? If the answer is none of them, I am not going to update. If some of them, I will decide whether to install or not. At the moment, probably not.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, FactMan said:

Were you able to squash all of the bugs, or none of them?

Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology: There's always one more bug.

My upgrade decision is based on what items are important to me.  I look at the lists of feature changes and bugs; 

The important point is, it's my decision.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, DTLow said:

no, a new release does not fix every outstanding bug

A win nowadays would be that a release fixes more bugs than it creates.  In my mind EN is a great product but their tech team needs to clean up their act.  One expects some issues with a beta, but not simple things or things in areas that don't appear to be related to the changes listed in the beta.

There is some diddling going on.  With this release default format at times breaks down between PC and IOS, Location appears in the list header (Spaces anyone?), can't view a notebook in Thumbnail view without EN crashing, can't move notes to local notebooks (well there may be a reason for this in the notes).  Ready, Fire, Aim.

On 2/17/2018 at 10:17 PM, Hads said:

Every time I start up windows, I keep getting the "lets get started" display.  I click off of it, but it comes back.

I have the same problem.

After submitting a ticket, the EN support team gives a workaround, and it works for me.

FYI.

Please try these steps to fix this:

1. Open Evernote for Windows
  2. Select File > Sign out… from the menu bar
  3. Select Evernote > Options > General > Open Database folder
  4. Move the <your account>.exb.context file to your desktop
  5. Reopen Evernote
  6. Select the X icon displayed beside "Let's start with the basics'
  7. Select File > Exit
  8. Reopen Evernote
  9. Repeat steps 6 and 7 two additional times (a total of three)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I express the same frustrations as this thread, new versions of Evernote for Windows keep getting worse! 

Particularly, the spacing between notebooks look so cramped! The previous version of Evernote for Windows actually had spacing in between notebooks and looked alot better. WTF happened?

Evernote-Windows-Spacing-Issue.jpg

I've had to revert to 6.7.5 for the last few months because display notes is too broken - most of the time it will not display anything even after Optimizing Database and any other attempt I've done to fix it. It's telling when you can cut+paste an image you can't see, can't drag or manipulate in any other way - at least the pasted image is correct. The older version reliably shows everything all the time.

The "upgrade" window giving the option to "skip this version" appears to be a joke; evernote keeps bringing up the nag screen every time I boot.

I've been a paying user for evernote for a number of years and have been more or less happy about that but with the newer updates making the software completely unusable, that's eroding my confidence that evernote is reliable at all.

'has anyone mentioned the HORRENDOUS backend code cleanup that allows "< hr/ >" (divider lines) and table to not render at all ?!!
Please, hire me or someone else in this thread to fix Evernote. We know you have the money. ..and a better EN means more money for you..

• 3 weeks later...

I have now reverted back to Ver 6.5,  due to editing changes for PDF and image notes. Although I see no alternative to Evernote I am wondering if I should be paying a premium rate. Maybe my wallet will have a more powerful voice.

My premium subscription expires in Jan, 2019.  I am seriously going to consider migrating to OneNote towards the end of the year if I don't see any significant progress in Evernote updating the product.  I've used the product almost since inception and have encouraged many people to use it, however, the product has become stale,  I feel a lot of the development effort has gone to the Business users and the average consumers like me have suffered.  

If Evernote doesn't come up with a revamp of the product, fixing all these problems with functionality and speed that have lingered now for several releases, I think you will see a lot of people migrating.  

On 5/13/2018 at 3:55 PM, Hads said:

... I've used the product almost since inception and have encouraged many people to use it, however, the product has become stale,  I feel a lot of the development effort has gone to the Business users and the average consumers like me have suffered. 
... I think you will see a lot of people migrating.  

#MeToo :-(
For me the development effort goes from quality to quantity. It feels like they've lost experienced developers.

• Level 5*
On 5/14/2018 at 10:31 AM, Eldorado said:

#MeToo ?
For me the development effort goes from quality to quantity. It feels like they've lost experienced developers.

Add me to the list - in fact, I have already migrated all of my notes. It was painful, but now that it is done I am really liking the features of my new option.

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5
17 minutes ago, ElliexxM said:

Mine doesn't launch at all on the desktop. I either get a fatal error or nothing launches at all. I have to use the browser version when on a computer....

I don't mean to sound abrupt or to wag my finger, but .... Instead of tagging on to a thread that hasn't had a new post in 3 months, please take a look at the thread below, which is on your exact topic and has been updated this week. Thank you.

• 5 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I agree.  I loved the stability and productivity of the earlier versions.  Creating notes was fast, responsive, and rock solid.  Now the product has become unstable (not responding) all the time.  Creating a new note is glitchy, I can just go, I have to wait for the title to be filled in from the first line of the note, if I try to add it myself sometimes it gets over written with first line and so on, just clunky.  Pasting pictures is glitchy now.  Who is doing the usability QA on this stuff?  For me documentation is a split second thing I do all they long as part of tech support, and having to wait for the Evernote glitchy interface is a real hindrance.  I hope they get their act together, the product and organization were both really impressive earlier on, I guess it is growing pains.

• 3 months later...

I run EV Desktop on 3 different Windows 7 PCs. On two of them, I still use EV version 6.7.6.7584, which is the oldest version that supports the newer certificate for syncing.  On the 3rd desktop, I run the latest version of EV, which has been frustrating.  Some of the niggles have been fixed like losing focus.  However, the hyperlink context menu in the newer version drives me crazy.  In the older version, if I right click on a hyperlink and select copy, the copy buffer contains the actual hyperlink which I can paste directly into a browser.  With the new version, the copy buffer contains rich text, text + hyperlink, which *cannot* be directly pasted into a browser.  The workaround is to select 'Edit' from the hyperlink context menu, copy the link, and cancel the edit, kludgey at best.

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, n9wox said:

With the new version, the copy buffer contains rich text, text + hyperlink, which *cannot* be directly pasted into a browser.

With the latest version, the clipboard will make several formats available to a receiving program (this is common); for example, HTML, and several text incarnations. Pasting into NotePad++, you get text. Pasting into this forum text box, you get a link. Pasting into Chrome's search bar doesn't work, however. Not sure why that is. Of course, if I want to view a link in a browser, I just click on it.

Archived