Clean Install: Which Version of Evernote Should I Use?

Hamburglar

Idea

Hi to all of my Evernote users! I'm planning a clean install of High Sierra this weekend, and a clean install of some version of Evernote. Currently I'm using macOS version 10.11.6 (El Cap) and the direct-download version of Evernote 6.7.1. I've purposely stayed with this older client version because it's been very stable for me. And that leads right into my question: what version of Evernote should I use with High Sierra? I was planning to install 6.11.1 because it seems like many power-users in the forums suggest it as a stable release (big thanks to JMichaelTX for being an awesome contributor to this community!). Any suggestions? Thoughts? Warnings?

Thanks!

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Hamburglar said:

Any suggestions? Thoughts? Warnings?

You might review the release discussions for bug reports and feature changes

For example, heres a sample of the latest GA release

15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You might review the release discussions for bug reports and feature changes

For example, heres a sample of the latest GA release

DDTLow,

Thanks so much for replying! It's interesting that you mention reviewing the bug discussions because that's exactly what drove me to ask this question. I'm a bit of a lurker on this forum and usually read through all bug related posts for the macOS releases. I'm a huge Evernote fan, but it seems like they've experience some client stability issues for the past few years. Wonky app behavior is not as big of a concern to me as data corruption or loss. I was curious if there was maybe a consensus of the "safest" release to use for High Sierra. 

I'm running 6.9 (On macOS 10.13.3), which I make the case for here:

Bugs I run in to:

• List of notes in search results can sometimes be blank (there are results, you just can't see them)
  • My reminders at the top of my note list will sometimes get squished together at the top (not currently doing it, or I'd paste a screenshot)

I've decided it's worth it to stick with this version for now. I do keep a close eye on the beta forums.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, upnix said:

I do keep a close eye on the beta forums.

I actually intended to warn against following discussions on the beta versions, and stick to the GA releases
You'll see a higher than usual incidence of bug reports; which is the purpose of the beta release - to identify and fix major bugs before they hit the public

What happens in beta stays in beta

2 hours ago, upnix said:

I'm running 6.9 (On macOS 10.13.3), which I make the case for here:

Bugs I run in to:

• List of notes in search results can sometimes be blank (there are results, you just can't see them)
  • My reminders at the top of my note list will sometimes get squished together at the top (not currently doing it, or I'd paste a screenshot)

I've decided it's worth it to stick with this version for now. I do keep a close eye on the beta forums.

upinx,

I actually remember reading this post from you last November. Thanks for the suggestion! I was leaning towards 6.11.1 because I've seen it recommended a few times in the forums. For example, JMichaelTX suggests it in this post: 

But from what you mentioned, some of the performance issues were introduce in 6.10. Stability is definitely my biggest concern (version 6.7.1 has been super stable for me on El Cap). Do you feel like 6.9 is the more solid of the two? Also, I wonder if Evernote's support team would link us to a copy of the 6.9.2 installer. 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Hamburglar said:

what version of Evernote should I use with High Sierra? I was planning to install 6.11.1 because it seems like many power-users in the forums suggest it as a stable release

I can't speak directly about macOS High Sierra, since I'm running Sierra.  I'm still running Evernote 6.11.1 (455059) on macOS 10.12.6.

I've been following the Evernote Mac updates since 6.11.1, and have not found any of them worthy of an update.  All of them seem to have serious bugs that were introduced since 6.11.1.

It is trade-off between the feature set and relatively small number of bugs in 6.11.1 and the new features and new BUGS that were introduced later.  Only you can decided what is best for your needs, your workflows.

BTW, I have applied the same approach to updating the macOS.  That is why I upgraded to Sierra, and NOT to High Sierra.  While many people seem find High Sierra OK, I have seen too many bugs and adverse changes in High Sierra, and there are not any new features in High Sierra that I find compelling.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

15 hours ago, Hamburglar said:

But from what you mentioned, some of the performance issues were introduce in 6.10. Stability is definitely my biggest concern (version 6.7.1 has been super stable for me on El Cap). Do you feel like 6.9 is the more solid of the two? Also, I wonder if Evernote's support team would link us to a copy of the 6.9.2 installer. 

I couldn't adequately compare versions. You could try one, uninstall, try the other.

The problem of blank search results I believe is High Sierra-specific, and I've seen mention of the problem in fairly recent releases, so I don't know that 6.11.1 would have fixed that problem.

Depending on your dedication to this, you can use VMware Fusion (or Parallels or Virtual Box) to run different versions of Evernote isolated from your system. This would give you a taste of what you were in for. But then at some point you have to ask yourself why you're spending so much time on a tool that's suppose to make your life easier.

Just wanted to give a quick update. Thanks so much to everyone that responded! I decided to hold off on upgrading macOS (got cold feet because this is my primary work machine), so I'll be staying on El Capitan for a bit longer. As upnix suggested, I think I'll test with both 6.11.1 and 6.9 in a VM. When I do decide to upgrade I will definitely post my results on here. Thanks everyone! 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Hamburglar said:

I decided to hold off on upgrading macOS (got cold feet because this is my primary work machine), so I'll be staying on El Capitan for a bit longer. As upnix suggested, I think I'll test with both 6.11.1 and 6.9 in a VM. When I do decide to upgrade I will definitely post my results on here. Thanks everyone! 

Good for you; taking responsibility and control for your software.
There's alwasys one more bug, but everyone's tolerance is different.
Also, if you encounter an intolerable bug it's easy to downgrade your Mac Evernote version

Archived