Lost notes 100's of notes - shocked to my core...

DISCLAIMER: I am fully aware I could have deleted the notes myself so I am not pointing fingers. I am just interested in knowing if others have had the same experience as I have. 

Today I was looking for notes in an archiving folder I seldom use. It turned out that the folder was empty.

Next I checked 3 other archiving folders - all empty.

I then proceeded to the trash folder to see if the notes were there - negative.

I cannot say with 100% certainty that I did not delte the notes, but as of this writing 3 archiving folders have no notes and the notes are not not in the deleted folder either.

That means I should have 

1. deleted 50 or 100 notes in 3 folders (150 to 300 notes in total)

2. Deleted the same notes in trash but left 1000 ++ notes undeleted in trash.

Possible: YES, likely: NO.

Question: Have anyone heard of of 100's of notes disappearing all of a sudden?

If so, what happened, and where they able to restore the notes again?

Note I am a power user, using Evernote on Mac, iPhone, iPad and an Android phone. I download all notes to my devices. 

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, peterskouhus said:

Today I was looking for notes in an archiving folder I seldom use. It turned out that the folder was empty.

Please provide details on the "archiving folder" and how you archive notes

Evernote doesn't use folders, and doesn't have an archive feature

Notebooks?  Sync'd  or Local?

Hi DTLow,

I create folders called Archiving - sale, Archiving - Marketing etc. It's just a normal folder with the word archived in front.

Everything has bee locally synced on all devices (Mac, iOS, Android and iPAD).

Excuse my poor initial explanation. 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  In my experience over 10 years or so - Evernote doesn't arbitrarily delete or 'forget' notes or notebooks.  Data can disappear - through bad connections,  fumbled clicks,  random pets (or kids) and in all the usual ways that computer information can disappear.  If I'm archiving stuff I usually export to ENEX and back it up since I won't be looking at those notes on a regular basis. 

Can't suggest what might have happened to your data - over time weird things can happen to your recollection:  from time to time I store things in places so secure that I can't even remember where I put them.  Best advice is - learn from this experience,  keep an eye out for possible place where the data might have gone,  but meantime back up anything you're not using daily on a regular basis.

You’re right, as I  make clear at the beginning of my post I am not pointing fingers and it is possible  that I have done it myself. That being said it is a very frustrating experience which cost me three hours today trying to restore back up, Importing notes etc.  all  without getting closer :-(

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, peterskouhus said:

You’re right, as I  make clear at the beginning of my post I am not pointing fingers and it is possible  that I have done it myself. That being said it is a very frustrating experience which cost me three hours today trying to restore back up, Importing notes etc.  all  without getting closer :-(

Absolutely agree,  and you have my full sympathies - I have several t-shirts from this sort of experience. 

• Level 5*

You have probably already done this but I didn't see it mentioned, have you checked to see if the notes are missing from the web interface?  Maybe it is just a client issue.  Also, have you searched for a note that you know to be in one of the missing folders to see if maybe it was accidently moved to another notebook?  I've done that a couple of times, thinking I lost data just to find I had somehow moved it somewhere unexpected.  You mention 3 empty notebooks so it seems unlikely but still worth checking.  Lastly, if the notes are missing, and were not in a local notebook, open up a help ticket to see if support can maybe help get these back.  Good luck.

9 hours ago, s2sailor said:

You have probably already done this but I didn't see it mentioned, have you checked to see if the notes are missing from the web interface?  Maybe it is just a client issue.  Also, have you searched for a note that you know to be in one of the missing folders to see if maybe it was accidently moved to another notebook?  I've done that a couple of times, thinking I lost data just to find I had somehow moved it somewhere unexpected.  You mention 3 empty notebooks so it seems unlikely but still worth checking.  Lastly, if the notes are missing, and were not in a local notebook, open up a help ticket to see if support can maybe help get these back.  Good luck.

Yes, I have tried everything. Thank you for the idea though. 

Archived