Import Items on List as Separate Notes????

Analyst444

I have a relatively long list of items on my Windows laptop. (I can save it in a variety of formats.)

How can I import it into Evernote so that each item on the list becomes a separate Note? (I'd like to avoid copying and pasting them 1-by-1.)

I've checked the Help / Learning System at www.evernote.com and I searched this forum for the answer to my question to no avail.

• Level 5*

I'd use a mail merge - in Office I can set up a template that will take data from a spreadsheet and output it as a letter or envelope format.  One of the features of that process is to save the output as separate document files so a user can 'print' them later - in essence I can output to TXT or PDF files.  I did use that at one stage (not for a while though...) to convert a long list into files and then added those files to an Import Folder which Evernote then obligingly imported to my database.

gazumped - thanks for the responding.

Sounds cluggy  (that's an undocumented technical term meaning cumbersome, ugly, and dirty!), but I'm feeling that may be the best idea I get on this.

I will try it out.

Every couple weeks, I come across a list the Internet I'd like to have in Evernote so I could manage it, but I always gave up for lack of an efficient way to get it into EN.

• Level 5*

Yup - Cluggy is an international term - though in the UK we spell it kludgy,  just to be different :).  You could obviously do something similar in Office with actual VBA programming,  but I only ever had the need for it once,  so I went for quick and dirty.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, Analyst444 said:

what is the format of an ENEX file? 

I could learn the format by creating several notes; exporting; and examining the .enex file  using a text editor

5a839b71d7ab6_ScreenShot2018-02-13at18_13_42.png.d3c54bae14c37a4e64d9ba64f59b6e0e.png

There's documentation at  https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php  but I don't think you'll need it.  Mostly it's standard xml/html

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, Analyst444 said:

Now, a tougher question. How do I assign a tag to each line item outputted from the Mail Merge?

I'd address this after the notes are created5a839a7df14fd_ScreenShot2018-02-13at18_09_07.png.4f185cbf1a6e1cd7189681b36518f492.png

Evernote allows a range of notes to be selected, and block actions like add tags

DTLow - Thanks for responding.

Thanks for the pointers.

Yes, I agree. I've done some tests with EN, exported some text Notes, and examined them with NotePad. The structure is elaborate, but decipherable.

I've got to now wrestle with how I go about building an ENEX from a source list with many line items.

More thinking and testing ahead.

• Level 5*

gazumped - I checked out those 3 links. They use programming languages I am not familiar with. However, they did tickle my thinking. I have used Excel's VBA a little. I may create a test list and see if I can build a little VBA program that will output the line items to a new file, one-by-one, and them import them into EN.

Archived