Table of Contents - Automatic update for notebooks

macneilpi

Idea

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, macneilpi said:

I would really appreciate the ability to "set" Tables of Contents to update automatically with new notes added to the notebook

I'd prefer the update include notes added, changed or removed; ie rebuilt when accessed
Isn't this addressed by the note list when you select a notebook or search

Not currently a feature in Evernote, but third party Filterize offers an updated ToC Note feature in their Evernote integration
For more information,  see

• Level 5*

What about deleted notes?

Third party Filterize has a solution to automatically update avToC.

My solution is to save the search terms with the TOC 
for example reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*
I then rerun the search, copy the links, and rebuild the TOC

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, dewetsnyders said:

Is there a place to submit requests for new features or is this the correct forum?

This request is posted above in the Request Forum.  You indicate your support using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.

We can have it all - Dynamic TOCs:

I would like to be able to put a search query into a note and have it generate a list in the notes titles that satisfy the query.  The note titles would be linked to its note.

If you have ever used TiddlyWiki, you can do this, or if you have used TinderBox agents, you can do this.

Your note becomes a container of search results.

Example: Create a note titled "All outstanding Todos".   In this note create a list macro that pulls together a list of all notes with  non-completed todos.  This list is automatically updated anytime you create or complete a todo item.

Why is this better than saved searchers?  Saved searches work one at a time.   Having SmartNotes that each serve as their own search bot gives you ability to view multiple targeted lists at the same time. The limit to what you can see is only the search query.

Once you have experienced this capability, it is hard to imagine EverNote not having it.  It is a game changer.

Corey

Archived