What is Databases/rknopf.exb and why does it keep changing even when Evernote is not running?

I have noticed when I back up my computer to my Syonolgy NAS there is a large file (400Mb+) in the Evernote Databases directory called rknopf.exb. Since my handle is rknopf, I am sure the name is based on the account. My problem is the file seems to be changing constantly, leading Synology Cloud Backup to back it up every 15-20 seconds, causing my backups to drag out interminably. Can anyone explain this behavior and is there any way to stop it outside of excluding the Databases directory from the backup?

• Level 5*

On Windows, Evernote uses a single massive .exb file to store your notes database
A minor change to the database results in the .exb file being updated

On my Mac, the database is distributed - a separate folder for each note
A minor note update, results in a minor update to one of the files
I have my database backed up by the TimeMachine feature and it requires minimal activity

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, lpspinner33 said:

Can anyone explain this behavior and is there any way to stop it outside of excluding the Databases directory from the backup?

Is there a rule to stop your backup program from needing to sync it immediately? Can you set it to hourly or daily?

50 minutes ago, DTLow said:

On Windows, Evernote uses a single massive .exb file to store your notes database
A minor change to the database results in the .exb file being updated

I made sure Evernote and every related program and Windows Service were not running - no change in behavior. Maybe this isn't an Evernote issue....

4 minutes ago, jefito said:

Is there a rule to stop your backup program from needing to sync it immediately? Can you set it to hourly or daily?

Alas, no. Maybe I need a new backup program. This one was easy to set up and provided by the manufacturer of my NAS, but seems possible it is the culprit and not Evernote so I might be looking for a new backup program.

Archived