Confirm whether or not I want to create a new tag

Faisal Malallah

Idea

Several times, when I'm typing a tag name in the Add tag field above a note, I hit enter after typing the first two letters of an existing tag name believing the autocomplete identified the tag I wanted but only to find out that Evernote created a new tag with only the two letters I typed!

The autocomplete functions works great but some times I press enter too fast or something like that. This causes me to stop what I'm doing and go look for the new tag I created a manually delete it.

So I'm asking for an option on whether or not tags should be created on the fly when typing or to give the user a dialog asking would I want to create a new tag!

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  I know the problem - been there myself from time to time;  but I don't know that I want to swop the occasional annoyance of a bad tag name for a repeated annoyance of "are you really sure?" each time I create a new tag.  I tend to housekeep tags from time to time by using a secret option in the Help menu.  Ctrl+Help will get you "Delete unused tags?" as part of a long list of other options that you really should NOT use unless you are directed to do so by Support.

My only grievance with typo tags is that they take up space in my list,  and since I can clean them out whenever I need to do I don't bother chasing them down individually.

• Level 5*

I too would like this. But as a quick workwround, you can delete the tag right from the note. just right-click on the tag name (not the little x) and select Delete. It will delete the tag from your database AND ALL NOTES, so be careful. If you mean to remove a valid tag from a note and delete it this way, you will delete the tag thus removing it from all notes.

I'd prefer a confirmation though before adding.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Faisal Malallah said:

So I'm asking for an option on whether or not tags should be created on the fly when typing or to give the user a dialog asking would I want to create a new tag!

Need to combine these into one option as to whether or not to have the confirm dialogue, IMO.

• Level 5*

I guess that should be (can't believe I'm going to use this phrase) 'easy enough to do' (ugh) - just have a tick box on the "Create New Tag?" box that says "don't show this warning again" so it can be switched off.. but then also have an Option / Preference to enable it again if necessary.

Adding the code to do that in various OS's might take a little while though...

On 2/11/2018 at 6:33 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  I know the problem - been there myself from time to time;  but I don't know that I want to swop the occasional annoyance of a bad tag name for a repeated annoyance of "are you really sure?" each time I create a new tag.

I cannot think of how would the create tags on the fly be useful anyway; I mean I arrange tags in a hierarchy nested. So if I have the habit to just create new tags when I'm writing notes, my tags organization will go out the window very fast. 

To me they should either make it an option to create tags on the fly, or remove that ability all together.  

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Faisal Malallah said:

I cannot think of how would the create tags on the fly be useful anyway; I mean I arrange tags in a hierarchy nested.

It's certainly useful to me, as that's often how I create them. My tag hierarchy, such as it is, isn't really important to me, as I don't use it as a way to navigate my notes. I clean it up every once in a while, just to organize it, but that's a very low priority task for me.

1 hour ago, Faisal Malallah said:

To me they should either make it an option to create tags on the fly, or remove that ability all together.  

This is not an either/or option: I can see the usefulness of having the option, but removing the ability to create tags on the fly would hurt my use case, and that of others, I suspect.

Archived