Robbie33388

How to scan in electronic receipts

Hey everyone,

I'm sure this is a basic question, but how do I scan in my electronic receipts from venders such as Paypal, Amazon, etc. without having to take a picture of my computer screen? I'm aiming to gather all my expenses into a consolidated file for my tax returns. Any insight into whether Evernote or another app would be preferable to accomplish this would be great!

Thanks!

-Robbie

Hi.  I tend to do my shopping in a browser,  so using the web clipper I'll normally highlight the section of the page that defines what I bought and for how much (or the actual receipt form if one is displayed) and then hit Clipper to save my selection to a note.  I'll normally get a result like this..

ScreenClip.jpg.5dc68666660ed77e7d560acecbee2287.jpg

• Like 1

On 2018-02-03 at 12:56 PM, Robbie33388 said:

I'm sure this is a basic question, but how do I scan in my electronic receipts from venders such as Paypal, Amazon, etc. without having to take a picture of my computer screen? I'm aiming to gather all my expenses into a consolidated file for my tax returns. Any insight into whether Evernote or another app would be preferable to accomplish this would be great!

Screenshot works.  I prefer converting to pdf format
What is the source;  Web or Email?

For emailed receits, I have a save-to-evernote script (Mac); I get a note with a pdf and eml attachment
Evernote also has an email forward address feature

For my web receipts,  use the web clipper (Mac) or print-to-pdf (Mac)

For paper receipts I use the camera and scannable app on my iPad  

>>I'm aiming to gather all my expenses into a consolidated file for my tax returns.

I use Evernote to store each and every receipt.  If tax applicable, I assign a tax tag

• Like 1

For emailed receipts, you can forward them to your Evernote Email address as well. I use an app called Dispatch on iPhone that has a save to Evernote option, it is a good email processing tool to use in my opinion.

So any receipt email I dispatch it to Evernote, tag it as "Receipts" and if it is tax related, tag it "Tax" as well.

• Like 1

I second gazumped's method.  I just have a notebook called Receipts that I populate with receipts I have highlighted with the web clipper.  Very easy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dustov said:

I just have a notebook called Receipts

For myself, I use a tag (!Type-Receipt) along with budget and vendor tags; and additional tags as required.

My preparation for the yearly tax declaration is to tag continuously all notes containing relevant docs by tags (receipt, tax, year, plus other tags non-tax related). These are mostly pdfs created by scanning, either with my iX500 or with the iPhone camera plus ScannerPro-App. ScannerPro can do most of the tagging by using workflows. Some of the receipts are send via E-Mail to EN, whenever received electronically.

To have a structured reminder what goes into taxes I have an Evernote checklist with the relevant types of receipts, which I use to make sure I’ve gotten everything. I have to modify it from time to time (new accounts, objects, projects etc.) to stay up to date. It could be a template; I still use a master note and copy it.

Then, in the new year I filter my database for the relevant notes, using the Windows client. I move a copy of all notes found into a temporary notebook called Taxes19 (for example). There, I select all notes and create a summary note (note with table of content, if I translate this correctly). This note holds one link to each of the selected notes. If processed top-down, you will be sure to work on each note. And it is a reference which notes were included in the notebook.

Then I create a share to this temporary notebook, and send it to my tax accountant. He will dig through, create the tax declaration and file it. When he tells me he is done, I put a new tag on all notes „Taxes19“, which means these notes were processed, and move them to an archive notebook. The temporary notebook will be deleted.

Why this copying job ? 1st it is easier to share one notebook than 1xx notes individually. 2nd because I need several receipts for other purposes than taxes, so I prefer to keep the original notes in their respective places (notebooks), and create a copy. 3rd I may later delete some of the notes contained as copies in the taxes file, but I will have all the notes that went into the tax declaration available for sure. The law is I have to keep them on file for 10 years !

Why all this ? Well under German tax laws each receipt I file equals (in my case) about 45% of its value as tax return. I think I prefer to pay the price of creating some copies to make the process bullet-proof, than to forget something between several searches.

By the way: The EN-premium account is tax-deductable as well 😎

I use a set of tags based upon the US tax document schedules for all tax related notes, which all contain PDFs.  All the tags have a prefix of 1040, so 1040.Sched.A for any deduction notes, 1040.Sched.B.Div for any dividend notes, etc.  One additional tag for backup, 1040.Backup.  I also add a year tag to the note in the form _2019. 

Then a search of tag:_2018 tag:1040* -tag:1040.backup yields all tax documents for the year.  Select all, Save Attachments to a folder, zip all the files with a password, and then send to the tax preparer.  Save the zip in EN so I don't confused later...   FWIW.